Farrell leaving good for both him and Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Welski

Re: Farrell leaving good f...

Post by Welski »

DaveO posted:
Welski posted:
DaveO posted:
Dai,

The analogy of League taking Welsh players doesn't hold water. They were amateurs and simply could not earn a living as a professional sportsman in RU despite the odd brown paper bag and cushy job.

They were not contracted to anyone.

I've heard others say this analogy isnt relevant but I think its at the heart of this debate. I don't really think the fans really care too much whether a player is contracted or not or what the relative pay scales are. I think the most important thing for supporters of the 'rival' codes is that they want to see those they consider the best players playing in their code/team. They see it as an affront that the 'enemy' has pinched one of theirs.
For me the contractual situation is important. There are two different discussions here though. The first is how it relates to League taking Union players in the past and the second is the situation with Farrell who has two years of his to run now.

With Farrell if he can get out of it what is to say the same des not apply to any of our other players? If RU can prise away the curret GB captain , golden boot winner and current man of steel from a two year commmitment why can't they equally just waltz in and take O'Loughlin for example?
They can and will; if they want a player badly enough and the player wants to switch, contractural obligations not withstanding. If Chelsea wanted to play Faz up front (you heard it here first :wink:) they would offer a couple of trillion roubles to club and player and that would be that. It's the world we live in.
DaveO posted:
Holding Faz to his contract is not only what the club should do because having him here for the next two years is a good thing but because it does not set a precident that any of our players are available if the price is right.
Sporting contracts it seems are becoming a means for a club to temporarily protect an asset, if someone offers more than that asset is deemed to be worth it will be sold. Wigan Warriors need to protect their assets to survive.
DaveO posted:
If any player is tempted by RU at the end of his current contract it is up to RL to make it attractive for him to stay in the game. If they can't then there it is no use crying about it and they will leave but IMO this situation is nothing like that.
As you point out they couldn't earn a living in RU (although you ask any All Black from those days) and this was the motivating factor in switching to RL. I think that's a less noble reason for switching than the reasons players give now. If we accept that someone like Faz isnt going to earn a whole lot more in swithcing then one would have to think the resons are as assumed (ASSUMING HE ACTUALLY GOES!). Namely that he relishes a new challenge and a new and arguably wider stage on which to display his skills.
I don't have a problem if he does this at the end of 2006.

Dave
I agree Dave in my ideal world people should honour their commitments unfortunatly sports clubs are big business now.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

No matter what the media states about whether he will play in this position or that position, or how good he will be. The fact remains that no decision has been made, and even more importantly no statement from Faz. At this moment in time all the speculation is becoming boring, and I think Faz should make his mind up and announce it either way. All the continued talk is just detracting from what we should be concentrating on - i.e. playing our next game. No matter what anybody says, this must have an impact within the club, which is just unnecessary. So come on Faz get a grip and let us know.
Welski

Post by Welski »

I do agree.

It has prompted some healthy debate all the same which I suppose is what this board is all about!

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gab0512 posted:
So come on Faz get a grip and let us know.
Agreed. It has gone on long enough.

You never know it could be announced this afternoon to detract from round two of SL X as the original annoucement did for round 1.

Mind you the Sarries coach has ensured the story has come back to prominance again today hasn't he so maybe it will be resolved a week today to scupper round 3!

Me a cynic? Nah.

Dave

Welski

Post by Welski »

DaveO posted:
gab0512 posted:
So come on Faz get a grip and let us know.
Agreed. It has gone on long enough.

You never know it could be announced this afternoon to detract from round two of SL X as the original annoucement did for round 1.

Mind you the Sarries coach has ensured the story has come back to prominance again today hasn't he so maybe it will be resolved a week today to scupper round 3!

Me a cynic? Nah.

Dave

:lol:
Pedro the Exile

Re: Farrell leaving good for b...

Post by Pedro the Exile »

a few thoughts on the matter:
1-I understand that Faz will be going to one of Saracens,Leicester or Wasps.Sale is not an option as they already receive rfu funding for whizzer.
2-The decision involves wheer to play him-some clubs want him at no.8,some standoff & some inside centre.The rfu have their own views as well.
3-Whilst the basic salary might be comparable,the union boys get about £9.000 per international appearance and their are on average about 10 internationals a year.Not a bad bonus if you play at international level.(thr rfl pays about £1,000 per match & you might get 5 appearances if the tri nations is on.
4-Just look at the press coverage based on speculation alone-imagine if he was a roaring success.
5-Most estimates reckon whizzer pulls in about a £1m a year due to sponsorship.
6-I can't imagine the Tri nations final filled Faz with enthusiasm over the GB Team.
Personally I wish him all the best & look forward to seeing him in an England RU jersey-at least there will be one player who can catch & pass with impunity .
It all comes down to a combination of new challenges,A desire to be recognised & finacial security.I've watched Faz since he made his debut & I think the guy is a giant in every sense of the word.I'll be disappointed to see him go but I reckon it might be the making of the club & provide an opportunity to rebuild properly.
The king is dead-long live sean oloughlin!,(I seem to remeber feeling the same way when Ellery went & Clarkey got a regular spot.
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

I have nothing but admiration for Faz and what he has done for Wigan and RL in this country. What he should do is announce what he is going to do. If he goes best wishes and good luck. If he stays all the better. The RFU can sort out where he goes and which position they want him in over the next 4 months whilst his knee gets better.

However the longer this drags on the less chance he has of going with great respect from everybody in league, and with a lot of dignity. This is not what I would want to happen as he has contributed far too much to go under a cloud.

:(
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

with someone like faz i don,t think money was ever an issue, it,s the challange but i think he also has a lot to loose by moving as people tend to have short memories
The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

Andy thanks for the memories
Pain is temporary pride is forever
mario

Post by mario »

waterside glens posted:
with someone like faz i don,t think money was ever an issue, it,s the challange but i think he also has a lot to loose by moving as people tend to have short memories
It can't be the challenge! it's more of a challenge staying in league and trying to beat the aussies in a series!