Captain

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Captain

Post by DaveO »

I forget who Barrett was talking about in his recent interview but it was one of the new players and he said this player was very vocal and this was a good thing because the team was too quiet on the pitch.

So I think this confirms what we all know, that Lockers is not a vocal captain and so I'd go along with the idea of more than one captain.

I don't know if this allows more than one person to speak to the ref or not but it in any case it would be a way to get a more vocal captain recognised and not put Lockers nose out of joint.

Dave
pedro

Post by pedro »

Missed his leadership when he went off tday..the pack fell apart without him.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

The nature of the game means that there needs to be a number of players in the squad who are vocal - organising the defence, planning the attack - this isn't and can't all be down to one man - especially when the interchange means that you rotate most of the pack anyway.

Having someone at full back like mathers - who is in the perfect spot to see what's happening in defence who isn't afraid to organise is great.

I think the impact of Lockers going off early in the 1st half had a big effect in cuusing our defence to lose it's organisation - this is something that isn't directly visible when all you look at is who shouts at players behind teh posts.

warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

DaveO posted:
I forget who Barrett was talking about in his recent interview but it was one of the new players and he said this player was very vocal and this was a good thing because the team was too quiet on the pitch.

So I think this confirms what we all know, that Lockers is not a vocal captain and so I'd go along with the idea of more than one captain.

I don't know if this allows more than one person to speak to the ref or not but it in any case it would be a way to get a more vocal captain recognised and not put Lockers nose out of joint.

Dave
The Team is not too loud on the pitch. A team should be talking to each other, they should all be leaders so therefore dave I dont think it really does confirm that Lockers isnt vocal enough. Different people lead in different ways and I for one would be delighted if all the players got stuck in like lockers does. If things arent broke why fix them? I actually think Sean is a great captain in his own way.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

id love for an american style captaincy system to deployed.

those who watch nfl, nhl and whatever else will notice certain players have a C on therir jerseys. i think we should do comething similar. maybe have lockers as captain, have barrett as a captain and then maybe higham or fielden. and on each shirt maybe have a C under the badge or something.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash posted:
DaveO posted:
Without getting into it again, the phrase in bold just shows how blinkered you are on the subject Dave. It doesn't mean anything of the sort. Barrett has actually stated that he regards O'Loughlin as a good captain. What he means by this statememnt is that as a team we are quiet as we have a lot of youngsters on the pitch so any extra talkers to join himself, Lockers, Bailey etc.
That is not what he said. He just said we were too quiet as a team. He didn't qualify it as you have done. He didn't say "Apart from Lockers, me and..." we are too quiet. He just said we are too quiet as a team. And how do you know what he means?

If we are too quiet as a team then is is up to the captain to do something about it.
and to make up for the loss of Fletch and Millard are welcome. Once again you read only what you want to see in a statement. By the way he was talking about Mathers.
You are the one putting words into Barrett's mouth not me. I am just surmising from what he actually said we don't have enough vocal leadership on the pitch. You on the other hand are making it up telling me what he really meant.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

warrior till i die posted:
DaveO posted:

Dave
The Team is not too loud on the pitch. A team should be talking to each other, they should all be leaders so therefore dave I dont think it really does confirm that Lockers isnt vocal enough. Different people lead in different ways and I for one would be delighted if all the players got stuck in like lockers does. If things arent broke why fix them? I actually think Sean is a great captain in his own way.
I think Lockers biggest strength is his defence. I think the reason we apparently lost our way v Quins when he went off had little to do with his leadership going awol and a lot to do with his defence being missing.

I am not one to slag off Lockers as a player. I think he is a pretty good player and I think when he plays for GB he confirms this. But for GB he isn't the captain and I think he is the better for it.

For Wigan I think he'd be better of he wasn't captain as well. I think what Barrett said was one of those moments where you get a real insight into how it really is on the pitch.

Barrett isn't going to turn around and slag Lockers off when asked but I just think that comment said a lot about what goes on, on the pitch.

That said the way things are shaping up with the friendlies and the game v Quins we may not need him to be vocal. We dug ourself out of a hole v Quins without his leadership so perhaps we can afford a luxery captain :wink:

Dave

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:

I think Lockers biggest strength is his defence. I think the reason we apparently lost our way v Quins when he went off had little to do with his leadership going awol and a lot to do with his defence being missing.
A combination of both, Dave. Not only did we miss his personal contribution to the defence, which we all know is immense, but the defensive line looked disorganised without him. Coincidence, possibly, but I'm more inclined to suspect that he does a lot of organising that goes unseen by the spectators.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

The issue of Lockers vocal leadership is one that keeps popping up time and time again, I think in part because he follows on from Farrel who could be seen bollocking and shouting at the team behind the sticks. To be honest I think people put too much emphasis on this when it reality it's just a different leadership style. Providing effective leadership requires more than shouting and as long as the coach and players are happy with it, it's good enough for me.

Several people have commented that our defence becomes ragged when he's off the field and I've thought that in the past as well. So he must be doing something right.