Who was the fastest winger everin rugby league (over short & long distacne)?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Who was the fastest wi...

Post by pedro »

Offiah would have beaten Preston easily for me.

These days in our league I think maybe Gardner or Penny...althiugh last saeson when Noble put Ashton on Penny he caught him from behind
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

When I compare Preston with Offiah I think of the Championship Decider at Naughton Park. Offiah with bal in hand looked faster than Bond on that day IMO

Before people write him off, ET cut Offiah down a couple of times in tests for Aus
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan posted:
Before people write him off, ET cut Offiah down a couple of times in tests for Aus
True, but I think that was partly Martin underestimating ET's speed, plus ET's positioning and timing were superb. I still reckon Offiah had the better of Andrew in outright pace.
ragman

Post by ragman »

DaiJones posted:
]ragman posted:
If you can get hold of a review of the 86/87 season, you will see that Mark Preston was the fastest things on two legs. Full stop.
You might struggle, he didn't play for us until 1988 (unless you mean the Fylde RUFC 86-7 season)

In 89-90, he scored 32 tries including several long range efforts-give that a go. ('The Wigan Treble')

Paul Sampson has run 10.48 for the 100 and played for our reserves
McDonald Bailey (one time British 100m record holder) played for Leigh once

You're quite right - I'm getting my old VHS tapes mixed up.

I still believe that Preston was faster than Offiah over distances that actually matter in games, though Offiah could beat anybody over the length of the pitch
[/quote][/quote]
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Johnny Ring and Brian Nordgren could shift a bit

for us very old timers
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Just as a reference point. One of the famous French 1951 tam member, a second rower could run 100 metres in 10. something seconds. Players were either much heavier/slower or lighter/faster than modern day players. Look at Offiah, he became tougher/better all round at Wigan but ultimately slower IMO. When Penny burst onto the scene last season the cry went out to build him up / toughen him up.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

greg inglis looks quick.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------