Positives & Negatives: 28-16

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Positives & Negati...

Post by pedro »

the-Bowtun-Warr ior posted:
mickh posted:
Mathers was the worst man on the pitch last week by far and he has not improved much this week, by the size of him he will never bring an opposing player down by meeting him head on, hopefully we have got him to stop tries being scored not just to score them? (I did rate him when he played for Leeds) he must improve.

:eusa17:
He looks about as good in defence as Ashton
RJ

Post by RJ »

Agree entirely with Dave O. Why we have not got out of this flat line I don't understand. It has been one of our worst failings for a while now. Didn't think we performed particularly well. Encouraging that we created opportunities but wildly disappointing when we don't convert them.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

mickh posted:
Mathers was the worst man on the pitch last week by far and he has not improved much this week, by the size of him he will never bring an opposing player down by meeting him head on, hopefully we have got him to stop tries being scored not just to score them? (I did rate him when he played for Leeds) he must improve.

Slating him for his 1 on 1 challenges? 1 v Quins and 1 v Cas... failed. What about the rest of his game? IMO his positioning and ballr eturns are good, catching under pressure also is good... looks like an eel when running around players...
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

ancientnloyal posted:
mickh posted:

Slating him for his 1 on 1 challenges? 1 v Quins and 1 v Cas... failed. What about the rest of his game? IMO his positioning and ballr eturns are good, catching under pressure also is good... looks like an eel when running around players...

ah thankyou!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Anyone who expected Rads type defence from Mathers is going to be sorely disappointed.

He will shine in attack, however he is not much better than Ashton in defence.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

God posted:
Mathers will improove FACT his defense will improove FACT.
dont enforce it or anything :doz:
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I do not think you can judge Mathers 1 v 1 until he becomes fully fit. Ideally, a fullback needs to be able to show the ball carrier the side he wants him to take, ideally the outside and then tackle him. I doubt Mathers has enough confidence in himself to do so yet. Accordingly he is having to stand straight on to the ball carrier.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Honestly people the days of wingers stood on the halfway line and a perfectly diagonal attack line when the POTB is on the opposition line are long gone.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

God posted:
God posted:
Mathers will improove FACT his defense will improove FACT.
dont enforce it or anything :doz:
Why because you know im right.
lol? My comments are based on my thoughts of him at Leeds, not 2 games this season. You can state as many of the facts as you like the float around your nogin mate, and you can throw around here in higher case all you want. I'll still have the same opinion I do until Mathers grows a pair in defence, and is prepared to put his body on the line. Something he was never willing to do at Leeds.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

And you have no reply I take it? OTHER THAN TALKING IN CAPS!!