Farrell leaving good for both him and Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
waterside glens

Re: Farrell leaving good f...

Post by waterside glens »

Warriors_ace_17 posted:
If only you could do that on this board, rather than being completely criticised for your opinions
believe in yourself warriors ace. alot of people like to let off steam on forums
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I agree with Dave. I think if Fazs contract was up at the end of this year and he was thinking about moving then I would not be as disappointed with him. The fact that has has chosen to sign because that was the best thing for him at the time, and then he has been offered something else that may earn him that little bit more in recognition and money, that is what upsets me and I agree that if he does go for that reason then it is quite selfish of him.

Saying that we have seen the peak of his career doesn't make anything any better. How do you know that he would not have an even better season this year? This year could be the peak for him or the year after, he could get better and better but what you are saying is that last year was the peak and from then on it's just downhill.

I just think he should stick to any contracts he has signed, leaving when his contract is up is the fair way of doing it. If Wigan as a club were not treating him right or he was a new player not settling in then it wouldn't bother me as much but as far as I can see, Wigan are treating him fine and he's more than at home with us.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Like Fraggle says no one is criticising you personally. We just don't all agree, this is quite a hot topic at the moment and it's one that you can't see both sides of the argument to, you either think he's right to go or you think he's wrong and obviously that's going to cause some debate.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
lancasterwarrior

Post by lancasterwarrior »

I still cannot work out what Faz has got to gain out of joining Rugby Union. I'm sick and tired of reading comments about him leaving for "a new challenge". He's still got plenty of challenges left in Rugby League, like leading Wigan back into the glory times, captaining GB to Tri-Nations glory over the Aussies and the challenge of the next League World Cup. So, once again what has he got to gain out of a move to Rugby Union other than a bit of a pay rise!!!
Welski

Post by Welski »

[quote]MrsLam posted:
I agree with Dave. I think if Fazs contract was up at the end of this year and he was thinking about moving then I would not be as disappointed with him. The fact that has has chosen to sign because that was the best thing for him at the time, and then he has been offered something else that may earn him that little bit more in recognition and money, that is what upsets me and I agree that if he does go for that reason then it is quite selfish of him.

quote]

Arrgh I cant leave this thread alone!!!! Dave Help!
Anyway...I don't know the bloke but from what he has said in the past he seems like a genuine sort. I wouldnt have thought this has been a unilateral decision. From the lack of 'outrage' or denial from Wigan I would guess the whole process has been a three way agreement between Faz the RFU and Wigan.

If Faz were to honour his contract (as I'm sure he intended when he signed it) he wouldnt be available to the RFU in time to make the RWC. Also I'm assuming he could also leave Wigan as a free agent ie the club would receive nothing. As it stands I think all parties have decided now is the right time. Wigan get a bumper pay day on a player reached the end of his career, the RFU gets their Superman saviour and Faz gets his knighthood.
:wink:
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

Yes BUT on teletext today, it says Farrell is pencilled in to play in the Churchill Cup this summer. RL lasts all summer, if he stays with Wigan to the end of his contract thats not possible so whats going on!

I think the other possible answer for Faz choosing to go to union is: Wigan Rugby Club are going to recieve a big pay off from union for signing Farrell, if Wigan arent offering him a new contract then he has no other option than to go to union because I dont think he would ever play against Wigan so moving to anohter RL club is out! Farrell has the option to go but I think the club has more power over his decision than he does. What means more to Maurice, Farrell playing for Wigan, or money?
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

proud_pie_eater posted:
Yes BUT on teletext today, it says Farrell is pencilled in to play in the Churchill Cup this summer. RL lasts all summer, if he stays with Wigan to the end of his contract thats not possible so whats going on!

I think the other possible answer for Faz choosing to go to union is: Wigan Rugby Club are going to recieve a big pay off from union for signing Farrell, if Wigan arent offering him a new contract then he has no other option than to go to union because I dont think he would ever play against Wigan so moving to anohter RL club is out! Farrell has the option to go but I think the club has more power over his decision than he does. What means more to Maurice, Farrell playing for Wigan, or money?
The thing I understand the least about all this is the reaction (or lack of it) from the club.

The fact he could walk away in two years time for nothing should not be a factor. That is how contracts work. I am certain he would be offered another two year deal anyway. So the club would not receive a big payout - but so what? We have Dave Whelan as a backer and should not need to cash in on any player.

I tend to think the reason it has not been announced already that he has gone is that Wigan want him to see out this season. We have no replacement for him and are unlikely to get one. It leaves us very short handed of experienced players never mind robbing us of the club captain and arguably the best player we (and RL) has on its books.

The club owes it to the fans to put out the strongest squad it can within the rules of the salary cap and if they let Farrell go now they won't be doing that.

If they let him go at the end of the season then they are being more than fair in my opinion. He will still have a year to go on his contract so they will be doing him a favour. If it does not fit in with what the RFU (and possibly Farrell) want, so what? The club has to do the best for itself and and the fans.

Dave

PS That OK Welski? :D
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

If we look at everything in a cold business sense and remove all emotion: -

Player 29 years old - played top class RL for 13yrs. 2 potentially dodgy knees and missed 7 months in last 2 seasons. Club offered £400k+ to buy out contract, with player offered £200k+ per season for 3 years. Money used to buy 19 year old top international RL player as straight swap ----- Good deal YES IMO.

Emotional decision - absolutely not!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gab0512 posted:
If we look at everything in a cold business sense and remove all emotion: -

Player 29 years old - played top class RL for 13yrs. 2 potentially dodgy knees and missed 7 months in last 2 seasons. Club offered £400k+ to buy out contract, with player offered £200k+ per season for 3 years. Money used to buy 19 year old top international RL player as straight swap ----- Good deal YES IMO.

Emotional decision - absolutely not!
It might be a good deal if the club needed the money but it does not. Or should not with Whelan as a backer. That is a very important factor. If it was about to go belly up financially Farrell would already be a Union player as the club would have bitten the RFU's hand off.

We can't even spend the money raised. The likes of SBW are going nowhere and so the money will just sit there.

This is not just a business but a sporting club that exists to win trophies.

The club needs to ask itself will Farrell being here for the next one or two seasons aid it in that cause?

IMO, yes.

Will it be better off without him?

IMO, no.

Does anyone seriously think it will?

Dave

Warriors_ace_17

Post by Warriors_ace_17 »

When people are asking what is Farrell going to get out of Union, i agree that he isnt going for the money, but i think he is going for the International game.

A chance to be recognised by the mass public and have a higher more nationwide profile, unlike he has in League.

I dont think he will particually enjoy the club game as i think Superleague is far better, but nobody can deny that the Union International game is far superior.
2004 YEAR OF THE WARRIORS (hopefully)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!