lesley vainikolo

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: lesley vainikolo

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote: Unfortunately it is true Dave. The All Blacks, I think are fantastic but they fail at the highest level more often than not. Yet, they are clearly the best 'rugby' team. The successful teams? dour, % plays, kill the game. Only when the game is safely won will they try to play rugby.
You can't generalise to that extent. NZ have failed in the world cup a couple of times and last time it was basically because they forgot how to play their natural game and got sucked into a different match. They beat most sides when there is a test series.

And the France v Ireland game I mentioned was won in the first half by France chucking the ball about RL style with some great centre play that gave their winger a hat trick of tries.

Now in the second half the French made a load of substitutions and the Irish played a dour game of keeping the ball in the forwards. They had to because their backs were outclassed. Now an RU purist would say that shows the variation in the game compared to RL but ultimately it is dull to watch with play after play a ruck or maul.

If you want to generalise I think my view is poorer RU sides will try and retain possession in the forwards and play a very risk free game as you suggest only chucking the ball about when the game is won. The better sides will adapt and are not afraid to run the ball. It is just unfortunate LV plays for a national side that adopts the latter approach.
WHY? well think about how Union restarts, to recycle the ball you have to keep in close support with your team mates. So passing the ball wide / running outwards is the worst tactic possible.Far greater chance of the ball carrier becoming isolated and having to turn over possession.

Depends how may players you commit to the break down and how fast you recycle the ball. NZ commit as few players as possible and so have numbers ready to attack or should they turn the ball over, defend. In that Irish game again the Irish conceded two tries because they lost the ball and so were not set with enough numbers in defence but it wasn't because they were chucking the ball about, they lost it in a ruck or maul.
So what you get are passes where the runner runs from out to in and back into the mass of bodies from a previous ruck/maul/scrum/lineout in order to ensure possession can be retained/recycled. England prove my point. When they try to play rugby they get beaten, when they kill the game they often win.
England do indeed play like this and the Irish did in the second half of that game I keep mentioning (and it is very boring!) . However the French played a very expansive game in the 1st half and won the game because they did. As I said the problem LV has is he picked the wrong nationality for his RU career because in a side as good as the French or NZ he would see far more of the ball IMO.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He certainly has Dave

Looks like Faz will never get a chance again too. I thought he did okay when he played moreso as a playmaker with his long passes.

What a waste of talent
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

there's (yet another) RU v RL debate on the Times blog
Here

I've added a comment!