Re: Buying Stuff Off Wiganwarriors.com dont do it.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

God wrote:Just wondering if anybody has been robbed blind on this website buying shirts, etc.

I had £700 whipped off my card after buying a replica shirt. Also my friend has had £400 swiped after buying a pair of shorts and a pair of socks.

Also having talked to my brother and his girlfriend they also have had large sums of money go missing off there cards.

Has anybody else had this problem or is it just the 4 of us?

4 different computers were used in each transaction.
I purchased last years away top online from the club just before christmas last year and had no probs with my credit card or the site. Either there security has beed hacked into which is a possibility or your cards have been cloned.

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

trotski_tgwu

Re: Buying Stuff Off Wiganwarr...

Post by trotski_tgwu »

God wrote:I seriously think the site has been hacked, i have not had anything else gone out since and not all my cash was taken.

Would they clone 4 cards on different dates 3 weeks apart?

Even so the bank phoned me a day later saying that this cash has been taken out and if i autherised it and i replied (without the swearing) i have not.

So they tracked the transaction and got the money back, Lloyds Tsb were legends.

Just posting this thred as abit of a warning to people who may want to buy summat. Maybe leave it a few weeks to see if they update there security.
Prob the site & iv had credit card company phone me about people trying to make big purchases on my cards. AS it was out of my spending habit they refused it and phoned me I think most do this now to cut down on fraud

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I had my credit card stopped after spending £170 in the club shop at Hilton street. They rang up and queried it but stopped my card anyway to prevent any fraud even tho i had confirmed it was correct :conf:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

josie andrews wrote:I had my credit card stopped after spending £170 in the club shop at Hilton street. They rang up and queried it but stopped my card anyway to prevent any fraud even tho i had confirmed it was correct :conf:
I thought that said Hilton Park then! :o
cyberpieman

Post by cyberpieman »

if the site's machines had been hit, potentially all of us paying our subs by credit card would be compromised.

there are 3 barriers to fraud on your personal computer, (1) anti virus (2) anti spyware, (3) firewall. If you haven't got one or more of these, you're open to attack (and they're not interchangeable).

Secondly, don't use an easilly guessed password: "warrior", "I hate saints" are pretty easy to fathom for anyone who has even a small part of your profile (you on "My Tube" by any chance? - goldmine).

Thirdly, always use a credit card when on-line, anything over £100 is refundable if fraud is proved.
Some banks also use a PIN type verification as a further wall to prevent "cardholder not present" fraud, if yours isn't one ask them why not - or switch.

Fourth: always look for the security lock (in IE it's a padlock in the address bar, in FFox it's in the bottom right corner of the screen)

Fifth, if you get spam in your eMail on a regular basis - NEVER open it unless you're 1100% sure you know where it's from - both Thunderbird, Outlook and Windows freEMail have options to block stuff from unknown senders - use them!

I always use the analogy of asking the question, "you've got an alarm protecting your house, so why leave your door wide open when you go to bed?"

Coincidents happen, I could also pitch in with my card getting raided last year shortly after renewing my season ticket - but we tracked it down to a site in Canada that got compromised shortly after I bought a couple of rare CDs from them - all in the same week: shit happens.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Sorry, this all depends on the "inscrutable people" that deal with cards/money, irrespective of online or face-to-face shopping.

I know someone who bought furniture from a shop in Wigan, to find that a few months later, that very same shop had deducted another lump cash sum from his account. Needless to say, he was NOT impressed, having bought nothing else (and paying in full previously).
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

robjoenz wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I had my credit card stopped after spending £170 in the club shop at Hilton street. They rang up and queried it but stopped my card anyway to prevent any fraud even tho i had confirmed it was correct :conf:
I thought that said Hilton Park then! :o
They will shaft you for all the money you have in East Wigan :lol:
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Back to the original thread.
God, you need to be careful about posting comments. Can you prove that the route cause of the incident was through the site shop?
I'm not defending the club, but cautious of what damage an unfounded allegation can cause and as such you need to be wary about how and what you post.
Yes, by all means advise people that you have ben hit by internet fraud, but unless you can prove where it originated from, you should only mention that you recently used the club site and that it may be a coincidence as you know of others who have had a similar experience.
I was hit with nearly £1,000 last year and had a theory about a car park that I used (no where near wigan), but couldn't prove it, so didn't name names.
Have you contacted the club to make them aware that there MAY be a problem, or is it just a case of venting your frustration?
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
BriH

Post by BriH »

Interesting posts. Last year I had two different cards used fraudulently. I also had bought from the shop and initially I thought the same as the first post i.e. something wrong in the shop. However, the fault was in my computer Spyware/Malware. I didn't have anti-spyware software installed - had anti-virus + Firewall so I thought I was OK. When I did a scan my computer had been infiltrated.
I like the idea of a small account for purchases only.[/i][/b]
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Nobby`s Girl wrote:Wouldn’t trust entering any credit card details onto the internet! No matter how safe the site says they are, there is always a way hackers can get your details..

If you really do buy items over the internet a lot, then the best and safest way is to set up a separate account in your bank and only put a minimum amount of money in it, for example £50 or £100, then the money is there to buy anything, if more money is needed then go into your bank and transfer the money over. Sounds a long way around but is the safest for buying anything of the internet. Even internet banking isn’t safe! My bank tried to set me up on this and I said no as I don’t trust any card details over the internet. So if I do come across anything I want to buy I use the separate account that I set up with a low amount of money init.
use PAYPAL it's exactly the same as you describe and your covered against freud