With ball in hand

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

With ball in hand

Post by cpwigan »

Cas v Leeds were a delight. Clear evidence of planning, executing moves pre planned / practised. Players running onto the ball.

Why oh why does our current stucture look so awful. Player stood too flat, taking passes stood still, lack of passing options. It looks awful. Work needed.
First Try Tickle

Re: With ball in hand

Post by First Try Tickle »

Because LouLou is a waste of time. Hes been ok for 2 games before this when barret tells him what to do but with Barrett being watched tonight tommy didnt have a clue.

Now it looks like barret will be suspended for a couple of matches so its only going to get worse...
consigliere

Post by consigliere »

Hardly a fair post.
Lu LU has been the better of the two halves in every game this year. The fact that he is not the big name signing just makes it easier for him to be criticized.

So far this year Barrett has been a no show.

But the WHOLE team seem not to have a move in them. We are way off the pace.
If we played against the tackle bags we would still get beat if we played like this.
www.directeta.com

THE BEST WAY TO FOLLOW WIGAN AWAY
jammie

Post by jammie »

don't know what they did in pe season,apart from go to the gym.awful. no planned moves,no dummy runners and most of the time trying to make yards from a standing start,i forgot sometimes last night we were the attacking team becuase we were stood in a straight defenceive line.wires pack made us look stupid.don't know what game plan nobby told them to follow,but if they carried out his orders questions need to be asked and things need to change PDQ.

[hr]
english by birth,wigan by the grace of god.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

binxterboy

Post by binxterboy »

did anyone else get deja vous from last season? we always give wire a start .but as last time we played em, we started to come back then o carrol knocks on with his first touch of the ball then they go and score.we've not improved at all from last season,

new song, slowly, slowly, slowly, coley, coley

♫ тнз ѕσчτн ѕтαиδ мαѕѕіνз ♪
♫ тнз ѕσчτн ѕтαиδ мαѕѕіνз ♪
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Leeds were totally shattered in this game after the efforts from the Storm game the previous week. They fell of tackles, were week at the tackle, had little effort in attack. Not taking anything away from Cas, they were allowed to play well in this game and respectively took their chances well, however I feel any other team in Superleague would have beaten Leeds Friday night.

[hr]
Rugby League. Too tough for Johnny & Charlie.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Can't blame the halves; our pack was always second best, apart from Hock, who had another MoM game.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The whole point of my post is that it is not one person to blame BUT the system. The players are starting from the wrong positions. Whomever moves the ball is left with virtually no options. If they do pass, the player they pass to is invariably stood still.

If Cas can produce well drilled passing moves like they did v Leeds then surely to God we can.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

consigliere wrote:Hardly a fair post.
Lu LU has been the better of the two halves in every game this year. The fact that he is not the big name signing just makes it easier for him to be criticized.

So far this year Barrett has been a no show.

But the WHOLE team seem not to have a move in them. We are way off the pace.
If we played against the tackle bags we would still get beat if we played like this.
here here Mike!

Barrett hasn't turned up yet!

and for me there's been NO improvement week after week since London
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

phibes

Post by phibes »

cpwigan wrote:The whole point of my post is that it is not one person to blame BUT the system. The players are starting from the wrong positions. Whomever moves the ball is left with virtually no options. If they do pass, the player they pass to is invariably stood still.

If Cas can produce well drilled passing moves like they did v Leeds then surely to God we can.
I'd agree with this and it was a problem we had last year at the same time - but that was to be expected with a new squad.

In my view, there are a couple of explanations. We seem to work with conservative/readable attacking moves, which I can only assume is down to the coaching staff. Also, aside from Barrett, we don't have much in the way of creativity from the other pivots. This isn't a dig at Leulai who's working hard in the last few games, but he isn't an organising scrum-half (at the moment). I'd also point the finger at the loose-forward and hookers in this respect - none of whom are that creative with ball in hand. Finally, we seem to lack composure last night, particularly when we had scoring chances. That makes you wonder about leadership on the field.