Barrett and Mathers Summoned

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Barrett and Mathers Summon...

Post by cpwigan »

Mike, yes if it was an incident that warranted sending off sufficient then you are correct but even if you are found guilty of a 4 march ban I think the sending off should count as 1 match of those 4 otherwise you are punishing some players twice and those that are put on report, once.

Moreover as Mike Binder says the on report system does not give the non offending team any justice and is somewhat a cop out by referees. Warrington deservedly benefitted from Mathers dismisal. Mathers and Wigan RLFC have already been punished. That punishment may need to be extended but it should be taken into account.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'm not sure that follows. If the offence was seen by any official and judged to be serious enough for a sending off then you are sent off, if it is missed or looks much worse from subsequent replays then the player and his team were lucky.

What you are suggesting makes a 1 match ban equal to a sending off, and all that will happen is they will add one more match on to make it a two match ban which is really a one match ban. Whatever Mathers gets is fair enough (especially seeing as he had been put in the lowest category for this offence) - it was a bad tackle.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

RE Your restart the tackle count, tap penalty etc. I can see a lot of merit in what you are saying. Those against will say the fans will be confused but we already have a signal for Back to 1. Maybe we could modify that signal.

I like the idea of a powerplay set too. So rather than award penalties etc. The defending team lose the player for the remainder of that set.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

gillysmyhero wrote:Just watched Barretts tackle and i cant see how he can get any ban at all.He doesn't have his arms between Johnson's legs and isn't lifting him,also second Wigan player comes in to help complete the tackle and spins Johnson over.It was just the impact of Barretts tackle and the second player coming in that spun Johnson over.It was just one of those things IMO.Rugby is a high impact sport and you are always going to occasions were tackles like that are made with no one to blame.Is it right that its Barrett who's been summonds and not the player coming in second to complete the tackle as they were both involved in the tackle. :doz:
Please desist from applying logic to disciplinary hearings involving Wigan. This is an opportunity for the Wigan-hating administration to have another pop. Since IL looks like he will keep our house in order salary-cap wise these opportunities could be relatively few and far between. I don't expect them to waste this golden opportunity. Barrett will be banned - and Rob will probably agree with it!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

It'll be an interesting test of whether the RFL are "Wigan-hating" or "Lindsay-hating". I suspect it was to a large extent the second; I'm hoping for a more "level playing field" (no JJB pitch jokes...) with I.L. in charge.

I'm with Nine on this one: any less than 4 and I'll be happy. And no more than 1 for trent.