Re: Wigan 27, Bradfordd 28

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Wigan 27, Bradfordd 28

Post by Mike »

An interesting team selection this week from the users of this site. We've left Wild out altogether, and put colborn in on the wing with Asp partnering him. Guissett gets a debut from the bench, with Sculthorpe striaght back into the front row.

Personally, I think Betts left Colborn out to get Wild in the side as he covers more positions. I think our selection is a more bold one - and based on current form, a better one. However, Wild was good in the centres for large parts of last season, perhaps he will regain some of that form this week?

You can influence this team by clicking on the "Team Selection" link in the left margin of the site.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
GeoffN

Re: Wigan vs. Bradford: Pr...

Post by GeoffN »

Kinda wondering who picked Seuseu at stand-off though! Interesting tactical move.
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

I know I though some of those selections were quite strange!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

i always think that i think moran was at prop the other week
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

GeoffN posted:
Kinda wondering who picked Seuseu at stand-off though! Interesting tactical move.
I think it was the England Union coach. Must be hes got Faz down as a Centre. That is an interesting move for Seu Seu must be Carney at prop next month then.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i,m off to belfast international airport see ya all later
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Wigan 27, Bradford 28

Post by Mike »

Just a couple of comments before I take in the result properly.

Throughout the match I was worried about Moran's defence. Many times he came out of the line going for an intercept. On Vaealiki's wing there were also several interception attempts. Now I know that Ganson was giving knock-ons even when Wigan didn't touch the ball - but you can't defend well if you are always charging out of the line. I though we got caught out badly when Bradford started throwing th eball around, mainly due to a poorly orgainsed defensive line.

We can have the best defense in the league for long spells, but I thought that our defnsive disaplin just disapeared at the endo fht ematch and we defended like 13 individuals, not a team. The seeds for this had been sown earlier in the match with all the attepmted intercepts.

We had this game won, and the players stopped. I don't know why. Maybe they thought Bradford could not come back? :(
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
thegimble

Re: Wigan 27, Bradford 28

Post by thegimble »

Mike posted:
Just a couple of comments before I take in the result properly.

Throughout the match I was worried about Moran's defence. Many times he came out of the line going for an intercept. On Vaealiki's wing there were also several interception attempts. Now I know that Ganson was giving knock-ons even when Wigan didn't touch the ball - but you can't defend well if you are always charging out of the line. I though we got caught out badly when Bradford started throwing th eball around, mainly due to a poorly orgainsed defensive line.

We can have the best defense in the league for long spells, but I thought that our defnsive disaplin just disapeared at the endo fht ematch and we defended like 13 individuals, not a team. The seeds for this had been sown earlier in the match with all the attepmted intercepts.

We had this game won, and the players stopped. I don't know why. Maybe they thought Bradford could not come back? :(
Ran out of steam a bit and then they tightened up when the Bulls came back.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

After reading some of the reports and reaction I have to say that I didn't realise the severity of our injury situation in the second half.

We didn't have a fit substitute to put on! When we needed both props on the field we couldn't swap anyone.

The injuries were: Orr (head), Hock (knee), Sculthorpe (hamstring) and Beswick (knee). Brown was also in the wars with a blow to the head. Seu Seu missed the match because of a cut to his knee.

We had a lot of inexperience out there and Betts couldn't do anything to change it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

We played some dum stuff out there in thesecond half and simply let them back in it.

Kevin Brown hasn't the brains to be on the pitch. It was his pass to touch that wad the turning point. He has done it several times before but at least previously he has been at the other end of the pitch. But to do it on your own 20m line was rank stupidity.

The inexperienced tag doesn't apply to him any more.

As to Vaikeli he scored two good tries but ultimately he missed a one on one tackle that gave Bradford the winning score. A basic mistake.

Despite the injuroes we played stupid football going for intercepts and daft offloads when all we need to do was play out our sets of six and tackle the man with the ball rather than go for stupid interceptions.

I am very annoyed with the way they played in the second half.

The trouble is that was pretty close to our best team with only Sue Sue and Carney out (if Faz goes) and it wasn't good enough against a pretty poor Bradford side. All teams can expect to have one ot two out most games and we can't cope.

Yet again we make a poor start to the season.

I think the bottom line is the team is just not good enough.

Dave