Where do you see the youngsters in 5 years time?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Where do you see the youngsters in 5 years time?

Post by ancientnloyal »

McIlorum
Prescott
Colbon
Goulding
O'Carroll
Tomkins
Hansen

These are the seven most prominent break-through youngsters that have come up from our Academy, so will count these as 'group 1'. The likes of Stanton, Ainscough etc (current U21)... lets say 'Group 2'.

If we think ahead five years, do you see these in a Wigan shirt? With lenegan's eye moved towards more homegrown talent and Noble getting 'his' team together after contracts are up (Vaealiki for eg gone) I wonder which of these current 7 players will be at Wigan. McIlorum I believe has just had a 2 year contract extension, ditto to the others.

I think if you had a bet on Tomkins to 'go' first, you'd be right. He hasn't really broken through to the first team much has he? He's been on loan a lot more than Prescott and C'Caz. Hansen in my view will eventually have Baileys position down the track.

Calderwood perhaps may not be here 2 more seasons, giving Colbon maybe a frustrating time as 3rd choice winger. I can't see for 1 minute McIlorum leaving as Higham ages I think how he plays now is well suited to set him up in the future.

Goulding of course has his #3 shirt and has impressed the last 2 seasons. My only problem is the combination of O'Carroll and Prescott. Jekyl and Hyde sometimes they play well, others League 2 standard. Yes they're young but they both dont strike me as a long term proposition for Wigan a la O'Loughlin/ Radlinski... Prop is a valuable position to have with Fielden perhaps staying here and if Feka leaves im sure noble will want test-grade experience to compliment. So...

Goulding
Hansen
McIlorum
Colbon
O'Carroll
Prescott
Tomkins

in order to stay in 5 years.

I may be wrong. I remember when Radlinski started out he came to my primary school doing coaching, think he was 17 or so... and I had a robinson shirt on, at the time I think radlinski was used on the wing and sometimes covered for robinson and didnt think he'd make it, he stayed until retirement...

I'd like to see all of them stay but they need to be of certain standard.

I don't know much about 'Group 2' as I dont often get to see U21s. With 7 converted youngsters to the first team in the last 2 or more seasons, i fear places will be full on the wings/ centres/ stand off, become too old to play reserves and end up moving club.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Re: Where do you see the youngsters in 5 years time?

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal wrote:McIlorum
Prescott
Colbon
Goulding
O'Carroll
Tomkins
Hansen

These are the seven most prominent break-through youngsters that have come up from our Academy, so will count these as 'group 1'. The likes of Stanton, Ainscough etc (current U21)... lets say 'Group 2'.

If we think ahead five years, do you see these in a Wigan shirt?
It is almost impossible to say. I think if the last few years have taught us anything it is that some young players who look great on a debut or even for a debut season may never live up to expectations.

I don't know enough about "group 2" to comment but out of group 1 you could argue we will only lose some of them because we can't afford to keep them all as their wage demands increase as they gain experience, not because we actually want to get rid.
I think if you had a bet on Tomkins to 'go' first, you'd be right. He hasn't really broken through to the first team much has he? He's been on loan a lot more than Prescott and C'Caz. Hansen in my view will eventually have Baileys position down the track.
Well he must displace some quite young players to get a starting 17 slot and players outside the normal 17 are always in danger of being put under pressure from the "group 2" players. Wigan will find it easier to give a group 2 player a contract than give a player like Tomkins a better pay cheque. His way in might be if Bailey leaves and he takes Hansens bench spot as Hansen moves up to partner Hock in the starting 13.
Calderwood perhaps may not be here 2 more seasons, giving Colbon maybe a frustrating time as 3rd choice winger.
Colbon is the other player I'd most expect to leave. We have all commented on the sides lack of pace recently and so even if he sticks around while Calderwood sees his contract out, is he really the ideal replacement?
My only problem is the combination of O'Carroll and Prescott. Jekyl and Hyde sometimes they play well, others League 2 standard. Yes they're young but they both dont strike me as a long term proposition for Wigan a la O'Loughlin/ Radlinski... Prop is a valuable position to have with Fielden perhaps staying here and if Feka leaves im sure noble will want test-grade experience to compliment.
Prescott was looking fine to me this season. When was the last time we produced a home grown prop? Ian Lucas!? We have to try and persevere with these two. There is no doubt Prescott has come on to suggest he won't be going anywhere. O'Carroll gas not kept pace but it is too soon to say.
I'd like to see all of them stay but they need to be of certain standard.
They do and lets not get blinded by the fact they are Wigan lads. I'd like a home grown team but I think even IL is realistic enough to realise if there is someone better available than the local lad you won't win much for your loyalty if you don't sign the better player.

I am sure IL's view is he wants local lads in the team but that they have to justify their place with more than a birth certificate.
I don't know much about 'Group 2' as I dont often get to see U21s. With 7 converted youngsters to the first team in the last 2 or more seasons, i fear places will be full on the wings/ centres/ stand off, become too old to play reserves and end up moving club.
That is always the danger and a reason why dishing out four year contracts as Lockers is supposed to have got leads to a lot of inflexibility. There may be a lad in group 2 who the club can't accommodate for another four years who is better.

Dave
nathan_rugby

Re: Where do you see the young...

Post by nathan_rugby »

Out of our current home grown youngsters, i am most pleased with goulding and hansen.
Goulding is a bit vulnerable in defence but, hes 20 years old and has already secured a starting 13 shirt. He is quality in attack, runs good lines and has great pace and evasion skills.

Imo, hansen is quality. He does lack size but easily makes up for it in techniques. He runs great angles which, im a firm believer of, if you hit the gap, no matter how small or big you are, your going through it.
His defensive skills are the best on the team. Its 100% technique with him. Tackling legs when he needs to, up high when he needs to.

Prescott has shown some good qualities, ie, was our top meters maker from the first 3 games. He does knock on abit though and sometimes gets knocked back
Mike Mcilorum, hasnt done anything bad but hasnt done anything spectacular. Hes been average imo, but plenty of time to get better. I feel the standard of attacking play drops, when he comes on and we seem to concede more and are not able to score back.

Not impressed with o carrol, just dont see anything good from him at all. Small and very basic and makes errors too much.

Colbon has just been averave, never going to set the world alight and win us matches but is never going to let us down.

Hansen to be best 2nd rower in 5 years.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

in 5 years time we will have
barrett
kay
moorfield and
binder breaking through :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

add to this in 5 years time we have to have 11 home grown players in the first team squad ,i can see them all being here a little longer than usual for our youngsters
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

uutside of wigan ,leeds hull and maybe sts cant see were every 1 else is going to fit 11 hown grown players in

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

The young players Wigan have now will probably at Widnes or Huddersfield in 5 years.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:The good thing is that the new system of promoting local talent will benefit wigan no end as they have have a very good production line and good local amateur club back up
Sorry to query this, but is it really a new system? People keep going on about the lack of Wigan-produced youngsters in recent years but as far as I can tell they've always been there. Amongst those who have left in the last few years after making first team appearances are Dave Allen, Chris Ashton, Martin Aspinwall, Bob Beswick, Ricky Bibey, Liam Bretherton, Shaun Briscoe, James Coyle, Wes Davies, Sean Gleeson... the list goes on and on. Interestingly, of the names in my random list above only really two could be considered successful players now, Aspy and Briscoe. The rest didn't make the grade in Superleague, so just because players are "home-grown" doesn't mean they'll be great for Wigan in the future.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

were do i see the youngsters in 5 years time.........

at other clubs of course becoming world beaters! :)
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Players develop at different rates , at the moment the lack of size worries me for Ocarrol, Prescott has shown me enough at the start of the season to be given a longer deal . Goulding looks like he can not just make a SL player but a very good one so he must be given a longer contract .
Hansen is in the second year of a four year deal which I guess Noble was involved with ? and looks like he as the attitude and ability to become a very good player if not already , he was a stand out player in the play offs , Hock is quality if he can sort his head out . Colbon as done nothing wrong but neither would he be a first choice unless he improves or finds a little more he may be replaced by the likes of Ainscough when contracts are handed out ,he is a good squad member and I hope he proves me wrong as I like the lad .
Tomkins as never quite had the run of appearances , he is still young he has size and looks to have ability think what he needs is a bit of luck an if he gets the chance take it and show what he can do .
To me Macolorum is the safest bet to make it to the very top , I already would be thinking of starting him as his game is more ready now . He is more of a starting hooker than Micky and I think we already look better with him on the field than when he is off .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!