Best news this year!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Best news this year!

Post by ancientnloyal »

"I would never want to play for any other club"

:)

Loyalties aside, he is afterall in the GB setup, our captain and a top tackler (stats from last season). Good move by Wigan, Just keeps the Lockers Knockers going for another 5 years
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ancientnloyal wrote:"I would never want to play for any other club"

:)

Loyalties aside, he is afterall in the GB setup, our captain and a top tackler (stats from last season). Good move by Wigan, Just keeps the Lockers Knockers going for another 5 years
Yep! :lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

and i was so looking forward to the club having some success, we might as well re-sign Terry Newton as well, the club looking to the future, in the words of Jim Royle MY ARSE!!, oh well at least i'll have another 4 years in which i will be proved right :wink:
jammie

Post by jammie »

i would pick a guy who has genuine love of the club,and gives his best,even if he is not the best player in the world every time,as opposed to a player who is their just for the money and doesn't give a hoot how he playes gets paid and goes home.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jammie wrote:i would pick a guy who has genuine love of the club,and gives his best,even if he is not the best player in the world every time,as opposed to a player who is their just for the money and doesn't give a hoot how he playes gets paid and goes home.
Not this one again. I'd take a quality player over a less good Wigan born player every time. They are professionals and so the vast majority give 100% because they want to do well and win things. It's their job and I think you'd be surprised how dispassionate most players are about their job than us fans would like to think. You are also just as likely to get a lazy Wigan born player as you are one from elsewhere.

Lockers is a good but not great player so why he warrants a four year deal I don't know.

I half expected him to leave and go the the NRL like Ellis from Leeds. I think it would have done him good and we would have survived without him.

Dave
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

DaveO wrote:Lockers is a good but not great player so why he warrants a four year deal I don't know.
1) The salary cap prevents Wigan signing great players for every position.

2) The possibility of new overseas quota rules mean that signing 'Aussie superstars' might not be possible but also means other clubs are going to hold on to there good English players. So why not sign good English player on a 4 year deal then struggle to find a replace in a years time.

3) Last season Sean O'Loughlin and Stuart Fielden were statistically Wigan's two best players.

Seems like a good move by the club to me :)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx wrote:
DaveO wrote:Lockers is a good but not great player so why he warrants a four year deal I don't know.
1) The salary cap prevents Wigan signing great players for every position.
Which has nothing to do with how long a contract any player needs to be offered.
2) The possibility of new overseas quota rules mean that signing 'Aussie superstars' might not be possible but also means other clubs are going to hold on to there good English players. So why not sign good English player on a 4 year deal then struggle to find a replace in a years time.
You can always offer him another deal and in less than four years time who knows what our academy will have uncovered as regards a loose forward or who will be available during this period. It is a long time in RL terms.
3) Last season Sean O'Loughlin and Stuart Fielden were statistically Wigan's two best players.
Which has nothing to do with how long a contract any player needs to be offered. In any case what stats are these? Fewest penalties conceded won't be one.
Seems like a good move by the club to me :)
Four year contract, guaranteed income for four years for a good but not great player. Somewhat underwhelmed by the news.

Dave
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Wigan have signed other players on similar contracts in past few years with the aim of building nucleus of the squad. Gareth Hock, Feka and Harrison Hansen were all given 4 years contracts. Sean has done equally well if not better than some of those players so why should he not get a 4 years contract, after all Gareth Hock did nothing in the squad for 2 years and still got a 4 year contract.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Apart from returning from a long injury to feature for GB in Australia and have some good stats in 2007 did Hocky lad
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame