Are our younger fans out of control?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gw

Re: Are our younger fans out o...

Post by gw »

thats an excellent point about cardiff, last year was brilliant, outside the ground fans from pretty much every club and only 2 policemen who were laughing and joining in the fun.

Think there was only 1 arrest that weekend and thats something the whole of rugby league can be proud of, i was anyway and have been drumming on about it to my football mates ever since.

Lets hope this year is just the same and we can show football fans how to behave!!
ince warrior

Post by ince warrior »

I have, and always have, said that the majority of people who fight at the rugby are wannabe football hooligans who would get their head kicked in at the real thing. If people want fights at the rugby they should go to the football, because if you go looking for a fight you will get one. End of.

I agree with Consig though about small incidents being blown out of proportion because I can honestly say that never when I have been watching Wigan have I (or anyone else who travels with our lot) been involved in a real fight. There's been the odd spot of trouble here and there but nothing more than that. Definitely for the most part rugby league is still a family game with a bit of banter etc., it's just when people take it too far and start kicking off. They are minor incidents (bar the man getting stabbed at Wire and similar ones) and it's amazing how someone shouting "you're s**t" or "you're scum" turns into a story like "oh they were kicking off, we were gonna knock em out" by someone wanting to tell a story on a Monday morning to their mates.

I actually don't think the violence thing is anywhere near as bad as people make out although I will admit that it's escalating rapidly.
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGAN!!!

WRLFC & SCFC FOR LIFE!!!

WE HATE LATICS, SAINTS, MACCLESFIELD, BURNLEY, CITY, LEEDS, WIRE AND WREXHAM!!!!
ince warrior

Post by ince warrior »

gw wrote:thats an excellent point about cardiff, last year was brilliant, outside the ground fans from pretty much every club and only 2 policemen who were laughing and joining in the fun.

Think there was only 1 arrest that weekend and thats something the whole of rugby league can be proud of, i was anyway and have been drumming on about it to my football mates ever since.

Lets hope this year is just the same and we can show football fans how to behave!!
I think the thing is with football fans is that part of the "football culture" is fighting and hooliganism, it's the way things are, you would be surprised at how many "regular" fans encourage the hooligans at the footy. I think that looks cool to certain rugby "fans" and so I think that's a big reason the problem is becoming more common.

WRLFC & SCFC FOR LIFE!!!

WE HATE LATICS, SAINTS, MACCLESFIELD, BURNLEY, CITY, LEEDS, WIRE AND WREXHAM!!!!
Bear

Post by Bear »

Great point ince warrior about it looking "Cool". This is proberbly the main cause of all the fighting. Wanting to tell stories to mates could be another one aswell. On the whole Like GW said, hopefully cardiff will be another brilliant laugh. I dont really think football fans are bad. Its the same with what went on on saturday, its just a small minority who have nothing better to do on Saturday than think there good by getting in trouble with the police. The people who want to waste great days out doing this can do, but i wont let it ruin my fun at rugby games.
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
ince warrior

Post by ince warrior »

Bear wrote:Great point ince warrior about it looking "Cool". This is proberbly the main cause of all the fighting. Wanting to tell stories to mates could be another one aswell. On the whole Like GW said, hopefully cardiff will be another brilliant laugh. I dont really think football fans are bad. Its the same with what went on on saturday, its just a small minority who have nothing better to do on Saturday than think there good by getting in trouble with the police. The people who want to waste great days out doing this can do, but i wont let it ruin my fun at rugby games.
You weren't saying that when you came against Tranmere, hiding in Stockport train station :lol:

Seriously though football fans are bad, there is a lot more trouble there than at the rugby, at 80% of the away games I've been to I've seen some sort of violence... Either way rugby league has a long way to go before it gets as bad as football... it is actually only a minority and it's never ever going to get stopped completely unfortunately but as long as the image of fighting at the rugby being cool is stopped somehow it could stay the same as it is now.

WRLFC & SCFC FOR LIFE!!!