Lockers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Lockers

Post by cpwigan »

There is a way to do it Turf. You can insult referees and they cannot do anything about it. You can pressurise them easily.
turf

Post by turf »

That cpwigan is because I think that our referees are too soft on players.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

A referee is a human being. He is isolated out on the pitch bar 2 touch judges. He is vulnerable to pressure. He needs to be pushed. The captain needs to do that and put what he wants to happen into his mind.

Bob Fulton was brilliant at manipulating referees. As a coach he would send an instruction to a player to tell the referee he had awarded 3 penalties against Manly or that the penalty count was one sided. He was getting the referee to think is it so one sided, maybe I should even it up, get him looking for ways to penalise the other team.
turf

Post by turf »

I thought that if a penalty count is one sided, that the fourth official has a word in the referees ear to say something like, "even up" or something like that.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I thought happened.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

turf wrote:I reckon that had Ashton stayed with Wigan then captaincy would have suited him because he always liked a natter/towards the referees.

Seriously, though, would he have made what you would call a "good" captain, with the amount of backchat he gave to referees.

The amount of times he was sin binned suggests (spelling?) no.

What does anyone else think? DaveO.
I never viewed Ashton as captaincy material because he just wasn't here long enough doing well enough. His last season was a disaster. However all we are really saying here is a bit of arrogance goes a long way to being a good captain. Lockers is not that type of player.

That no. 10 for England RU, Cipriani. Annoying arrogant over confident young whipper snapper. Decided to give a team talk at the age of 21 - to an international side. Decided as an RU no. 10 it was no good being quiet but he had to boss the forwards about the park.

That is the sort of thing Edwards would have done at Wigan.

Lockers on the other hand I suspect has difficulty telling Fielden to get his arse into gear.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:The team is bereft of leadership.

Re Silverwood. No captain takes any notice of what referees say in terms of then speaking to their team. What a good captain does is use the opportunity to put what he wants to say on the agenda, in the mind of the referee. Referees are there to be intimidated/cajoled by captains.
A good captain will use a telling off from the ref to sort matters out.

It ought to be blindingly obvious to a captain if the team carry on as they are they will concede more penalties so something must change.

How he does that, well "That *&&*^% of a ref says we are offside but we know we aren't. No good though we will have to show the $%^^*&^$ and stand back further." That sort of thing.

Doing nothing and carrying on conceding penalties for the same offence is no good.
There are no natural leaders in this team. Some suggestions are crazy. I rate Hocky the player but as a captain. Hocky is quiet and ill at ease speaking to people.
Fielden was a natural leader but seems to have become very introverted compared to how he was in our "relegation" season. Barrett has lead teams before. Higham would have been an alternative but I think he has been shafted by the management and could not give a toss any more.

Dave
cyberpieman

Post by cyberpieman »

I still can't get over the fact the Nobby hasn't signed an extension yet (or am I missing a headline).

Lockers is a damned good player, but he goes missing when stuff starts to go wrong - I simply don't rate him as a leader.

Someone said on the first page about motivation and half-time talks.....why does it have to wait until half time ?!

I go back to my original premise...I'm not convinced Brian Noble is 100% committed to this club. Whether this is because the new management have another agenda or he's got asperations to move to Oz I don't know, but it seems that this uncertaincy is rubbing off on the team.

There doesn't seem to be anyone in charge on any consistent basis.

I had stuff to do today so I'm glad I didn't make it to Knowsley road (shit parking anyway). I just hope they get their act in gear for Monday.
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

Lockers' work-rate and committment is without doubt and he contributes a heck of a lot but in a sort of Mick Cassidy non-flashy way. Now whilst every team wants and needs this sort of player, you really need a captain that shouts people into position, tells people to forget a mistake they make, gets in the opposition play-makers faces, and can see beyond their own part in the game. I just dont see this from Lockers, I really wish I did but it just isnt there. Barrett ticks more boxes, even Hock does but lacks the discipline yet to be a captain.

It aint about saying 'bad result, change the captain' it's about looking long term - I think Lockers is out of position as captain, not his fault, he aint asked for the job but Nobby needs to look at his own decision.

stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

There's no point in blaming O'Loughlin when it was a team failure. The captain actually played as well as he could, but the glue that makes a team out of a talented bunch of individuals is missing.
On several occasions you could see that had one of the Wigan team stood up and issued instructions, guidance, etc. then we might have gelled better.
Saints were always the better side, but we lack captaincy, not playing ability. When we play as a team we are very good. We just don't play as a team often enough and for long enough.
Stevethegas
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

we are giving too many stupid penalties away. yesterday was a joke, we could have come back after half time but why did colbon try stop that ball with his feet? we could have come back. why is lockers the captain? hes just like his brother in law, both decent players but not captains. id like see barret or even hock as captain, at least they will shout at the players.
IN WANE WE TRUST