Lockers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Lockers

Post by cpwigan »

I am one of the biggest fans of Lockers as posts here will testify but jeez. First and foremost we had 3 sets where wecould have set up for a drop goal. The captain should have made that call. It never came. The winning try was for all intents and purposes a cock up. There was no room, we had run out of room until Goulding produced a brilliant back handed flick pass. We got out of jail through brilliance. The reality was we played dumb and unprofessional RL.
cyberpieman

Post by cyberpieman »

(stress levels just about back to safe...that was a crackin' game for a neutral ... sittin' on the 40 yd line, my blood pressure was through the f'in roof!)

Lockers went missing AGAIN when plays were going wrong or KR exploited our colander-defense strategy.

He's a damned good player but NOT captain material. Even with no relegation, can we really countenance players that have yet to mature?....How many seasons have we heard that "we're building for the future" - I remember Betts saying that followed by Millward and it was repeated when Nobby came on board.

Am I being so shallow that I'm fed up with not winning anything?
Am I unreasonable to expect that by now (imprudent spending notwithstanding) that we should have a world class team ?!

We can't carry players forever, I'm glad O'Loghlin is here for the duration, but for pitty's sake will someone have the balls to replace him as captain.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

Lockers is far from my favorite player.I just think that he seems to get a lot more stick on this forum than anyone else.Why? is it because he is a Wigan lad.
pedro

Post by pedro »

daft question really...

does hock get the same bombardment?..no

It may have something to do with him being the captain/leader and him not performing as well as he could.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Did anyone else notice he was policing the play the balls today he had his hand in the air pointing at shoulder height across the line.Presumably this to keep em back 10 metres.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:daft question really...

does hock get the same bombardment?..no
Hock got plenty of stick last season for what was a poor season from him. Quite right too. So far this season pre the injury he has been playing well so gets the praise.

Isn't this totally consistent with how he has actually played?

As he isn't the captain he can hardly be criticised for lack of leadership can he?
It may have something to do with him being the captain/leader and him not performing as well as he could.
The fact he is captain requires him to be more than just another player so when he isn't and doesn't do the captaincy job he cops flack for that. This head down "lead by example" notion means for the most part he is just another player. Arguably our best players this season so far have been Richards, Carmont and Hock. Given they are possibly the best players, should the example they are setting automatically get one of them the captains arm band? If not I don't see why Lockers has it either.

If he wasn't captain (and so ineffectual at it IMO) he would not cop half as much flak as he does.

As a player when he plays for Wigan he is mostly a tackling machine like Cassidy was. I think they are at the same level of quality player-wise. Every team needs its Cassidy type players but I am not sure they need them with a no. 13 on their back. That position does, IMO, require more guile going forward.

I have seen it written that he plays better for GB because he has better players in front of him. That may be true but the fact is he has not got the GB pack in front of him at Wigan so he is what he is for us which is an OK player but not a superstar. I was quite surprised therefore that we gave such a player a four year deal.

Now add all that up which I don't think is wide of the mark, another reason he cops some flak is that some people think the sun shines out of his backside when it doesn't and this mystifies those of us who see him as a decent but not outstanding player and definitely not a captain.

So when people post unrealistic assessments of his ability, the debates start.

Dave
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Dave O wrote
Now add all that up which I don't think is wide of the mark, another reason he cops some flak is that some people think the sun shines out of his backside when it doesn't and this mystifies those of us who see him as a decent but not outstanding player and definitely not a captain.

Every body has a different opinion of players and rightly so you either like them or hate them that is life .

My opinion and i await the flak is Feka is not good enough for Wigan a lot of people on here thinks the sun shines out of his backside .He is a ten minute wonder unfit compare him with Peacock and there is no comparison .
pedro

Post by pedro »

I dont think a lot of people will argue with that to be honest....but at the same time he hasnt been given another 4 year contract and he isnt the captain.

There are a good few who arent good enough for super leage never mind Wigan.

It goes to show that the cap isnt to make teams less likely to go bust its to bring the better teams to a lower level (except Leeds who im convinced have a cap of 3million but it doesnt matter as its...Leeds).
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Feka is contracted until 2010 so he in the past was given a big contract.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 wrote:Dave O wrote

Every body has a different opinion of players and rightly so you either like them or hate them that is life .
I don't hate any player. I have thought some past players and some current ones are not as good as other may have thought or think but as you say that is a matter of opinion.
My opinion and i await the flak is Feka is not good enough for Wigan a lot of people on here thinks the sun shines out of his backside .He is a ten minute wonder unfit compare him with Peacock and there is no comparison .
I have said myself I don't think Feka is as effective as he could be because he seems to have put on even more weight. He was big enough and would benefit from some Inga type training IMO.

We have a handful (if that) of players who have played consistently well so far this season, Feka isn't one and neither is Lockers.

Dave