Wakefield Review

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Wakefield Review

Post by GeoffN »

botica wrote:Tommy was great...
I hope you mean Tomkins and not TL!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
Higham is just not with it at the moment, the game takes a turn for the worst when he comes on and just gives away stupid penalties.
The worst mistake Higham made was the incorrect PTB when on the Wakey line. It was Higham's short pass to Lockers to set him up for the try.

I thought Higham was OK tonight. He did manage several of his trademark breaks despite a pitch that must be nigh on impossible to get any acceleration on in those sorts of conditions. His defence was very good as well. He put in several really good tackles.

I think Higham is one of those players some fans like to dislike for some reason but if you watched McIllorum tonight his passing was all over the place. Watch him next time and you will see what I mean.
Colbon was a bit shakey tonight and almost blew us getting the ball back when he just left it.
I thought he was pretty poor. Didn't he have one of the rare breaks in the game but simply wasn't fast enough to get anywhere?
Im sick of wigans " very creative " inside ball, which players run back into the markers at sloth pace.
TL needs to shape up and quick. He is so predictable it's untrue.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

One of my theories Dave re passing is that the first receiver is often stood too far from the hooker especially in poor conditions. Andy Gregory used to be much closer and he had a brilliant passer in Dermott.

If both first and second receiver are spread out over adistance then it means two things for me. 1. They cannot keep in touch with their forwards for yardage plays and 2. When theydo move it wide they arecramping their outside backs and/or not giving themselves the opportunity to move sideways picking up runners/drawing defenders etc.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:One of my theories Dave re passing is that the first receiver is often stood too far from the hooker especially in poor conditions. Andy Gregory used to be much closer and he had a brilliant passer in Dermott.
Maybe so but MCillorum really does need to work on his passing IMO if he is to fulfil the potential I think he has. It isn't just a positional thing but an accuracy thing. Some passes loop over head height, others are too low below the knee of the receiver. I have also seen him pick the ball up, step and pass rather than pass off the deck when this is what is needed which slows things down enough to put the forwards at a disadvantage when they do catch the ball.

His dummy half running is good (but I don't think he is as fast as Higham) and his defence is great but I am not convinced his passing is up to it at the moment.

Dave

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO wrote: TL needs to shape up and quick. He is so predictable it's untrue.

Dave
He's fast becoming another Denis Moran!
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

butt monkey wrote:
DaveO wrote: TL needs to shape up and quick. He is so predictable it's untrue.

Dave
He's fast becoming another Denis Moran!
Unfortunatly he just hasn't got it and if thats the case then no amount of effort will make enough difference.

But there's not many who have, unfortunatly I can only think of Long whos a proper scrum half...

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:One of my theories Dave re passing is that the first receiver is often stood too far from the hooker especially in poor conditions. Andy Gregory used to be much closer and he had a brilliant passer in Dermott.
Maybe so but MCillorum really does need to work on his passing IMO if he is to fulfil the potential I think he has. It isn't just a positional thing but an accuracy thing. Some passes loop over head height, others are too low below the knee of the receiver. I have also seen him pick the ball up, step and pass rather than pass off the deck when this is what is needed which slows things down enough to put the forwards at a disadvantage when they do catch the ball.

His dummy half running is good (but I don't think he is as fast as Higham) and his defence is great but I am not convinced his passing is up to it at the moment.

Dave

Nobody passes off the deck Dave these days. So that is unfair. Even the best 9s like Cunningham (Urghhh I know) Budereus, Cam Smith, Danny Farah do not do it. They all take the ball, step and pass. What most do and what Nobby wanted in terms of say Newton was for them to step a few yards, draw a defender and pass to a runner. Fat boy at Saints actually crabs several yards dummying and then passing. Benny Elias a great hooker IMO did likewise.

Passing wise, McILlorum works on it and has done since he came to the club. Is he more likely to be able to pass it accurately 10 yards or 20 yards ? Equally, the best NRL teams have pre planned sets whereby every play in a set of tackles is rehearsed, down to the actual players running, taking the ball at each tackle. We follow instructions but often you will see both our hookers looking to see who/where they should be passing to. I know which is easier.

Bottom line Dave our attacking system is a joke mate. Sad isn't it. You and I have watched some great attacks. Remember the complex moves of Graham Lowe, runners everywhere offering deception and chess like complexity. John Monie, the run arounds, the 3 or 4 forwards making runs whilst Greg shows passes to them before hitting the runner with a perfect pass.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I agree with that. We havent played well and are joint second...goes to show how much super league is falling.

Was the worst game I have witnessed last night....I was sat there wishing I was at home watching Leeds and Saints.

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

"He's fast becoming another Denis Moran!"

Arrgggghhhhhhhhhhh. Don't even think it let alone say it!! You'll jinx us all.:o

To be fair to Tommy, I don't think he's bad and to be as bad as Moron, he would have to actively try to play worse. To be as bad as Moron, he would have to kick out on the full more often than keeping the ball in play, pass and receive passes terribly, have no element of defensive play and then exert a negative influence on all around him.
jame1

Post by jame1 »

The weather was awful and conditions were bad,but,last nights game was the worst i have seen for along time.Its ages since I was so bored for 90% of the game. the only exiting moments were when we had to defend 3/4 sets.Coley was probably the man of the match, it must have been a difficult choice.