Humble Pie: Wigan RLFC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the big i

Re: Humble Pie: Wigan RLFC

Post by the big i »

I must say well done to the team because I thought we would be lucky to score at Leeds but to come away with a victory is superb! All the players played their part.

Tomkins looks like a great player, his kicks near the line were good and i thought leuluai in the 2nd half was kicking well and finding touch on a few occasions.

phibes

Post by phibes »

I don't think I said on here, but I'd written us off before this game started as well. No Barrett and Ganson officiating were just the nails in the coffin.

Delighted to be proved wrong by a really gutsy team effort. Everybody did their job but a special mention for the half-backs: Coyle was thrown in at the deep end and made a great debut (credit due to the coach for taking a chance on him); I also think Leulai (who I've been very critical of this year) had a great game, especially with his long-range kicking in the second half (great try too but credit Feka for the offload).

Let's hope we can kick on from that win.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I wrote the team off. Indeed I thought we would get slaughtered, worse than Saints on GF. I decided not to go as I promised myself i would not attend another match refereed by Ganson and to be truthful had the penalty fiasco continued it may well have been my last as a season ticket holder.

Win or lose, by the end it was irrelevant in many respects as the players had proved themselves. Obviously even better with a win but just glaad to see the 17 stand up and counted.

I do think one of the lessons to learn is give the youngsters opportunities. Tomkins is doing well. Coyle did well. We will never know if we do not give these lads opportunities when they arise. I hope to see a few v Pia.

Nobody likes being wrong but so glad to be so tonight.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

We beat leeds which is an achievement in its own.

We beat leeds with a depleted team handing a crucial position to an uncapped player filling in the boots of our main man.

We beat leeds and can still improve our game.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

It is a great result but I don't think anyone needs to be eating humble pie.

It is a shock result. We had players missing (more than just TB), we had a 19 year old playing his first SL game, we were playing the current world club champions at home, we have been playing poorly in attack, seemingly have no "plan B" and were about to face the best defence in the league.

Put that lot together and anyone who thought we would win was being blindly optimistic.

This is a result I would have taken regardless of how we played. Any win against Leeds given what I point out above is a good win. Flowing RL or scrappy dogged battling - I don't care. But that doesn't excuse the way the team has played in games like v Wakey.

Dave
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

i will also hold my hands up and say well doneeeee...

i was working so didnt manage to get to the game and you really have no idea how gutted i am inside, as it was actually my day off but got muggled into working and covering for someone... :angry:

but well done lads fnatastic effort... :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
right cross

Post by right cross »

unbelievable ? what a win, still can't believe it ?

coyle was ace [watch out barrett]

you know what the best thing about last night was ......

lee s-ith alias leo sayer as baz said ,has had a hair cut ,what was he thinking of with that bonce

:lol:
well done lads :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
mario

Post by mario »

DaveO wrote:It is a great result but I don't think anyone needs to be eating humble pie.

It is a shock result. We had players missing (more than just TB), we had a 19 year old playing his first SL game, we were playing the current world club champions at home, we have been playing poorly in attack, seemingly have no "plan B" and were about to face the best defence in the league.

Put that lot together and anyone who thought we would win was being blindly optimistic.

This is a result I would have taken regardless of how we played. Any win against Leeds given what I point out above is a good win. Flowing RL or scrappy dogged battling - I don't care. But that doesn't excuse the way the team has played in games like v Wakey.

Dave
I must have been blindly optimistic, because I thought we'd win, because of the solid defence we showed against Wakefield.The wakey game was the only game that we've had a good defence until last night.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote:It is a great result but I don't think anyone needs to be eating humble pie.

Dave
I suppose flowing rugby leading to a first place league finish and grand final victory wouldn't excuse the Wakey victory for you Dave would it? Anything to not have to admit that you were wrong (or at least a bit over the top in reaction to a couple of poor performances)...

Personally I have been supprised about the reaction to the last couple of performances. It is only because the St Helens match we looked so poor. Everyone bangs on about how good Leeds are playing and how good their defence is - losing to Castleford is forgotten about very quickly for the Rhinos.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

who nows barrett might not get back into the team... :lol:

and a john fisher lad keeping him out :D

i think the tommy leuluai criticism will stop now that guy led us round the park exceptionally in that first half full credit to him, and his kicking game was phenominal...