Best match ever...?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Best match ever...?

Post by ancientnloyal »

We all have a favourite one... Any of the 8-in-a-row, Challenge Cup v Hunslet at Wembley, CC classic in 1985 against Hull, the Manly, Penrith or Brisbane (if you're lucky enough to have gone) games, even the 18-18 draw with Australia at Central Park where I think we should have won. Maybe in modern times not many to shout about in Super League, perhaps the Good Friday 25,004 game v Saints or the Lazarus performance against Bradford in the playoffs last year.

My personal favourite was the 26-16, Challenge Cup final against Leeds in 1994, memorable for 1 thing: Offiah. I think we've all seen or heard about his 90 metre try and I think there's a bar named after it in the new Wembley. Hot day, went down on coach - typical wembley fo yesteryear but offiahs tries made it special.

Shame I missed the 1985 final, being 4 months old but there you go... I perhaps would have made that my best game.

Until we beat Saints this year at Wembley anyway
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Dawn O

Re: Best match ever...?

Post by Dawn O »

Remember that game well-we got our tickets through Odgens travel which was a st.helens firm and also meant we were sat slap bang in teh middle of the leeds fans!!

However it also meant we were sat in the corner where Offiah scored that try.. Me and my mate ended up stood on the seat before he even had put the ball down, thankfully most of the leeds fans were very gracious with our over the top celebrations :D

Two of my favourite games however is the wigan-cas game at central park - this was a mentor versus heir apparent game with the heir apparent coming out on top. Botica had signed for cas and in the last five minutes got a goal to take them one point ahead, the last minute of the game we got a kick from almost halfway line to win the game (and I think take us into the next round of the cc).Up stepped Faz with a sublime kick.

Second game is the 25-32 boxing day game against saints at KR.We were 20 nil up until some great theratricks form Ste Prescott caused Hnery Paul to be sent off, after and few more sinbinnings and some great biff, saints were ahead 25-20 until Inga and Offiah finished the game off in the last few minutes - now that is a stand eruption!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dawn is that the match where Inga charged through from the 20 about dead centre with the posts. If so, one of my favourites too.

The comeback v Hull in the Challenge Cup 94/95
The match v Halifax where Andy Greg scored from the half way line.
A match at CP where we beat Hull Kr in the dying seconds. Phil Ford scored I think.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

In recent history (since JJB), I have to go for the last second try from Renouf to Rads against Bulls, followed by thr touchline conversion from Faz.

In away, I suppose the last game at Central Park has to be special. Just a shame thay pykie Martyn got the last try.

Was there not a 27 0 once :wink:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

*The Boxing Day Dawn O mentioned is one of my favourites-I still laugh when I see Offiah scoring and wheeling away to be given a V sign by the ball boy and I remember going as crazy as I ever had when Inga scored. Aside from the Offiah 1994 final here are a few more:-

*An 18-18 draw with a really up for it Bradford in the 'Mission Impossible' Season, Skerrett had just returned from a tribunal where he had been told he would miss Wembley and was immense against a huge Bradford pack, we came back from 18-2 down and narrowly missed winning the league on the night

*1985-obviously-that game turned me into a Wigan fanatic at the age of ten

*The Bradford match when Radders scored from Renouf in the dying seconds

*1989 27-0 Hilarious

*Offiah's ten tries against Leeds, a completely surreal day where it felt like being both part of history or in some comic book story

*71-10 against Bradford in 1992. Incredible.

*The year we came back to win at Hull from 21-2 down with a late Faz try. It began to feel like we couldn't lose matches whateveer the deficit

*1989 semi with Joe's goal

*The 23-22 win over Leeds with Tickle's drop and the two fantastic Carney tries

*Either the Saints game when HP scored from a drop out and you began to feel we could do anything/the Middlesex Sevens win or an 11-10 game against Widnes at Naughton Park in 1990 with a last second Goulding penalty

There are so many more. We have been blessed!
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

one of my favourite matches was the final game at central park...

another is the 2002 win at murryfield in the challenge cup...

and of course winning the grand final in 1998 was immense and i was only 8...
markill

Post by markill »

saints away in 2000 the 42-4, think it was the first time i ever went to knowlsey road, is up there for me.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We played Bradford in the league after the 71-10 win and the first 40 minutes were sublime. I think we put 50 on then but eased up as we were 40 up at HT.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

wembley 27-0 fav wemley 1 ,bradford last season as to be the best athmosphere ever and going past that the semi at bolton when we beat bradford 71-10 ish was a awsome display of rugby led buy gene miles and offiah ,remeber andy greg TAKING A DROP GOAL EARLY ON THINKING IT WOULD BE A TIGHT GAME. how wrong was he lol and remeber the biggest conga in history went from the pub right to the ground
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I always remember a match v Fev at CP when we clinched at Championship and a Fev player came up with a classic quote "It were like tryin te catch pidegons"