Do we have 20 men left to name in this week's squad?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Do we have 20 men left to name in this week's squad?

Post by Fraggle »

From the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 308781.stm
BBC Sport wrote:-

Injuries give Wigan major problem
By Dave Woods

Wigan face an injury crisis ahead of Sunday's Super League game at Widnes.

Only seven players were able to train on Tuesday, with coach Denis Betts fearing that up to eight of his regular first-teamers will miss the match.

Andy Farrell, Brian Carney and Gareth Hock, who suffered a knee injury in the defeat to Bradford, are definitely out.

Terry Newton (knee), Danny Sculthorpe (hamstring), Jerry Seuseu (knee), Dave Allen (hamstring) and Bob Beswick (ankle) could also be missing.

Wigan will face a Widnes team that could include as many as five former players, including experienced forwards Terry O'Connor and Mick Cassidy.

But Betts says he has no regrets about those players leaving despite Wigan's current injury problems.
"You can only go with what you've got. There's no point thinking you have kept him and you could have kept him," he said.

"The squad we've got is full of talent but it's never going to fulfil itself unless it's given its chance."
By my reckoning we're left with our 20 as:-

Rads, Dallas, Aspy, Vaealiki, Orr, Moran, Guisset, Tickle, Brown, Lockers, Godwin, Wild, Hansen, Melling, Colbon, Coyle, Prescott, Hargreaves, Williams, Mighty Max.

Does Max qualify under the 20/20 rule?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Re: Do we have 20 men left to ...

Post by robjoenz »

Can't see him earning more than £20kpa or playing in more than 20 games!
Fraggle

Re: Do we have 20 men left...

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
Can't see him earning more than £20kpa or playing in more than 20 games!
The season's only just started, there's plenty of time for him to get 20 games in...

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

Just wonder having read the news, if people would change their opinion slightly regarding Friday's game. With the best will in the world if any team has then many injuries it would struggle to compete!!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Brilliant. There I was thinking we weren't going to do too badly with injuries at the beginning of this season. Why do we even bother? We should just sit the first 6 weeks out.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

We've got a few 'big names' still to play...Betts, Farrar, Lam, Bell, Wane...
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

GeoffN posted:
We've got a few 'big names' still to play...Betts, Farrar, Lam, Bell, Wane...
... Boston?

[hr]
Welski

Post by Welski »

That's it, I'm finished with watching this sport.

Think I'll follow into something less injurious to the participants health from now on... which TV station broadcasts B.A.S.E Jumping?

Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

I understand most clubs get injuries, as they are part and parcel of playing the sport. But i cant help feeling that over the last few years that we seem to have had more problems than most on the injury front.(Apart from hull). I think this must come down to the conditioner!! I dont now why other teams have less injuries than us.. But hasnt conditioning of the players got something to do with it? I would be interested to see if anyone else has any views on why we have so many problems.. I cant remember the last time we had a full strength wigan team without a least one of our best players being out through injury!!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Hi! this is my first post, so I am a bit nervous. I was just reading that Jerry and Sculthorpe may be fit for Sunday. That transforms our chances for my money. If we had had Jerry, we would have won on Friday, no bother. :D