REAY/STANTON

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
topskin

Re: REAY/STANTON

Post by topskin »

reay is best centre in the reserves as well as fullback if the other team is dominateing down one flank he is always moved to that centre to stop this
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Reay was my player of the year last year. When he came to the club he was very 'portly' in appearance. He is more toned now but people scoff when they look ay him. I personally think his lack of speed is what will prevent him from having a SL career. However, he is the consumate professional and his ability to read the game, to complete basic skills and his effort/heart are SL class. Ayn/every non SL club should be fighting to sign him. As a Wigan player he is the player that if you had an injury crisis you put in the team and not have to worry about.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:Reay was my player of the year last year. When he came to the club he was very 'portly' in appearance. He is more toned now but people scoff when they look ay him. I personally think his lack of speed is what will prevent him from having a SL career. However, he is the consumate professional and his ability to read the game, to complete basic skills and his effort/heart are SL class. Ayn/every non SL club should be fighting to sign him. As a Wigan player he is the player that if you had an injury crisis you put in the team and not have to worry about.
I don't get to watch the academy games these days, so haven't seen him play: would you say his lack of pace might lead to a position switch? Hooker, maybe?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not sure Geoff. He does not strike me as a good scooter etc. Not even sure what happened as he may have been at the club as a youngster but was not part of the academy set up when Ashton and Brocklehurst were part of the set up. Ashton's promotion and Brocklehurst being released left a lack of fullback and Reay came along. Therein lies a problem for him. He's 24 so time is not on his side.

His build makes him very good in terms of balance/centre of gravity. What always strikes me is he has a natural rugby ability. He finds space when the ball is moved, he runs sensible lines/rolls tackles and so on and in defence his positioning/tackling is very good.

Pre salary cap you would have paid him a decent wage and kept him to assist the youngsters coming through and fill gaps in the first team through injuries. As an example recently he would have done far better at centre than Colbon.

In this era I think Doncaster providing they have the funds will realise he is quality and sign him. However, he is being paid by the Doncaster fans squadbuilder trust so that may be an issue.

He deserves a decent career.

Tuson is another for me who may never make it at Wigan but every non SL club should be trying to sign him.
mano

Post by mano »

OLDHAM wanted to sign tuson 2weeks ago chris turn them down.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Reay's Doncaster move now confirmed in the WEP:

http://www.wigantoday.net/warriors/Hock ... 4005477.jp
Utility back Sam Reay, 24, has been allowed to join Doncaster Lakers on a month's loan, where he will be coached by former Central Park hero Ellery Hanley.
Not that I ever doubted your news, mano, but it's always nice to see it confirmed in print.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mano wrote:OLDHAM wanted to sign tuson 2weeks ago chris turn them down.
Hope he doesn't go he is going to be a cracker. Feel sorry for Reah, hope they keep as CPWigan says to help out with the younger lads he had a great game in the pre season at Widnes
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MrsFeka

Post by MrsFeka »

I dont blame Reay for going to be honest. Wigan were not willing to give him the contract he wanted and as he is only on lan for month it may give wign a chance to see that they have lost a class player :conf: