Barrett to go - official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Barrett A MUST READ

Post by josie andrews »

Its already been covered Bear
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
XIII

Re: Trent's agent speaking to ...

Post by XIII »

cpwigan wrote:The Binders can donate their free holiday :D
I think that would be a great gift from the Binders, well they have only just got back from their boat trip!!
:badg:
Wigan Till I Die!!

We've had Barrett and Kenny, Edwards and Hanley, Boston and 8 IN A ROW!!!
Bugsyoz

Post by Bugsyoz »

Troops

The reports here are that at least 4 clubs - Illawarra, Sharks, Raiders and Bulldogs are in the market for the great man. If he is granted a release there will be more. It's a family thing by the way.

Wayne Bennett contacted him shortly after it was made public that he would be coaching S Illawarra next yr. The Sharks seem intent on offloading Benny Ross due to his massive salary (a bad move in my opinion as I rate Ross as one of the best props in the game). If this happens the Sharkies will be in the market big time. The Bulldogs have made it public they are in the market for him - and would have the money after offloading 3 internationals and 1 origin player. If Basil goes to the Raiders their chances would be enhanced also.

B
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barrett to foil Ryles-Noddy swap

April 24, 2008

THE proposed trade involving St George Illawarra's Jason Ryles and Cronulla's Brett Kimmorley could be scuttled by the imminent return to the NRL of former Dragons captain Trent Barrett.

Barrett, who left the Dragons two years ago to join English club Wigan, is believed to be on the verge of requesting a release from the Super League giant.

Barrett and his wife Kylie have held talks with Wigan officials to explain their situation, in what is believed to be the first step towards a return to the NRL next year.

The former Test half has attracted interest from several clubs, most notably the Dragons and the Bulldogs.

The Sharks would also consider making a play for Barrett, although their interest would be contingent on whether Kimmorley and Ben Ross are at the club next season.

However, Penrith ruled themselves out of the Barrett lottery even though the club would have the bankroll to pursue him after releasing back-rower Tony Puletua to St Helens.

Barrett's manager Wayne Beavis confirmed a meeting was scheduled to take place with Wigan officials but declined to elaborate on whether Barrett was seeking a release.

While Beavis insisted Barrett was happy, it is understood his wife is pregnant and wants to come home.

"The situation is he has a contract for this year and next year, but his wife is homesick," Beavis said.

"I have had a couple of clubs ring me after hearing the speculation. I think it's reasonable to suggest that if he were to come back there would be a reasonable degree of interest. He's a quality player and a quality bloke."

Barrett is understood to be incoming St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett's first choice for next season.

A return to his former club would likely expedite the departure of Ryles, given Barrett would command an estimated $400,000 a season.

The Dragons would be unlikely to be able to afford both.

Should Barrett opt to play elsewhere in the NRL, the Dragons would almost certainly make an offer to Kimmorley.

Asked about Barrett, St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust replied: "We are looking at our 2009 roster."

If Barrett does return to St George Illawarra next season, Kimmorley could leave for England, where Super League side Hull is circling.

Hull has also been linked with Ross, whose tenure at the Sharks continues to be the subject of speculation.

Kimmorley was declared off limits to the media at training on Wednesday, leaving coach Ricky Stuart to field questions over his half-back's future.

"I spoke to Brett this morning and he didn't know too much about it and it's just something we'll work through," Stuart said.

When asked if we would allow a player to switch clubs during the season, Stuart replied: "If it was the right decision for our club and the right decision for the player.

"I've always got an open mind about these types of things. We're making decisions here in going forward and we've got to make the best decisions for our club.

"Every coach is about improving his group of players, his roster, and I'm no different to any other coach. But it's just speculation in regards to Brett and a so-called trade-off."

Cronulla five-eighth Greg Bird, whose recent combination with Kimmorley in the halves has helped keep the Sharks at the top of the table, said he would be disappointed if the No.7 left.

"It's always disappointing to see teammates leave, but it is a business and that's the way the game is these days," Bird said.

"We could keep everyone and have a salary cap of $10 million, but it just doesn't work that way. To keep things fair, these things happen. The club's making decisions and we've just got to play our football."

While Kimmorley and Ryles appear unlikely to move mid-season, the Dragons prop is not expected to remain with the club in 2009.

Doust said he did not believe Ryles was unhappy at the club, although he conceded the former NSW and Australia prop was frustrated.

"Rylesy and I have known each other for a long time," Doust said. "I am sure if he was unhappy he would have spoken to me."

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen said he wouldn't mind being a teammate of Ryles.

"Jason Ryles is a good player and he's copped some unfair criticism from the Dragons," Gallen said.

"He'd be a good player to play alongside. I've had some run-ins with him, but that's only because he played for the other team."

But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

josie - if you checked the new section you would see that this story is already posted their. Also, you can link posts to stories by ticking the boxes next to them, rather than quote the entire article. That way you can say what you want to say about the story and leave it up to others to decide whether to read it or not. If you are going to quote news stories, just select the relevant bits and make sure you link to the original URL of the story.

Ta
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Oops sorry Mike not been on that page today :blush: :with:
Dawn O

Post by Dawn O »

IS every aussie fan who wants to get out of their contract going to use the homesick excuse-first Gatis and Now Barrett, they signed the contract and knew what they were getting themselves into. Cynical I know but with the pound against the dollar only at 2 now rather than 2.5 they aint making as much money as they thought.

If I was IL I would ask for a huge transfer fee and make it worth our while-why should we do any favours for players who are breaking their contracts.

Saying that Wigan was here before Barrett and will be there after it.

As for Dobson - he was a great little stop gap but I think some fans have cherry tinted specs on if they think he is the best player we can hope for.
02rinman

Breaking News on bbc sport

Post by 02rinman »

Trent barrett could quit wigan due to family reasons more soon.
WIGAN WIGAN WIGAN!!!!!
Matthew-Warrior

Re: Trent linked with a return...

Post by Matthew-Warrior »

02rinman wrote:rumour is that barrett will leave at the end of the season and noble wants michael dobson and danny mcguire as his half backs
McGuire can sod off :lol:

I'd rather have Tommy.
Matthew-Warrior

Re: Trent linked with a return...

Post by Matthew-Warrior »

cpwigan wrote:The latest from Aus is excellent news. The NRL Sunday Footy Show stated that Wayne Beavis (Trents Agent) stated Trent will not be returning to St George and has assured Wigan RLFC in writing that he intends to see out his contract.
If that's true then that is, as you say, excellent news.

That'd explain why the club have laughed off speculation that Trent is going anywhere.