Barrett to go - official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Trent's agent speaking to ...

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Again though im not meaning to sound argumentative i genuinely dont see the difference between the 2 positions in the modern game. If someone knows specific differences then im all ears. I played rugby for 3 years for my uni team switching between 6 & 7 and apart from feeding the ball in the scrum when 7 and playing on different sides of the pitch there wasn't really any difference in resposibilties. I mean why couldn't a 6 play 7? or vice versa?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

At the highest level a 6 would need to be able to make breaks himself and carry them on to say score a try, be able to support breaks and score the tries. Speed is far more important. As a playmaker I believe that hitting centres and wingers is different to a 7 often working with forwards.

The way I look at it. Peter Sterling, Alan Langer were both great 7s but would have been hopeless at 6. Andy Greg as a 6? What you tend to find is that some 6's find it easier to play 7 than the other way around. Even then I think you lose a little something.

And your not being argumentative. Just a good debater.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:
And your not being argumentative. Just a good debater.
Ever the diplomat CPwigan :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

But the players using for you examples cpwigan are part of the older generation of rugby when hookers were part of the pack, and now they are almost an extra back in most cases. I do see your point in the sense the more successful 6's even in the modern era e.g Pryce and Barrett are big enough to take tacklers on. This isn't the case everywhere though Maguire, brown, harris, orr are notably smaller in statue and and play what i would consider a 7's type of game in the 6 jersey. I think if you got the passing and kicking ability that dobson has you can always tinker with the players position. Briers hardly ever takes on the defence himself in fact when was the last time you saw him tackled?. I am probably being snowblinded by the fact i really rate dobson because he shone but to be fair the team he shone in was poor. There is no guarentee he would be as good for us if he came back.

I know you mentioned edwards i always felt that dobson had a similar playing style to edwards also.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Matthew-Warrior

Re: Barrett May Quit Confirmed...

Post by Matthew-Warrior »

ancientnloyal wrote:Just the waiting game now methinks. To be honest we need the club to focus on the Bradford game, which i'm sure brian noble is doing and if Trent wants to leave the main priority now is to get him fit asap.

I wouldn't look much into "IL declined to comment", if anyone thinks that is a bit Uncle Mo-esque, eg... "Wigan still not letting the fans know whats going on"... if anyone does comment about that
IL has been an excellent chairman so far, keeping the fans in the know.

Why should the club comment on something and turn their attention to something that isn't true? Surely that'd cause unrest within the team.
DaveO

Re: Barrett May Quit Confirmed...

Post by DaveO »

Matthew-Warrior wrote: IL has been an excellent chairman so far, keeping the fans in the know.

Why should the club comment on something and turn their attention to something that isn't true? Surely that'd cause unrest within the team.
He commented on the Higham situation. This one is causing a lot more of a stir and has the players agent making statements in the press.

I can only assume IL won't comment until something is definite when any discussions with Barrett are complete and a decision made.

I don't think given the articles in press, the way the forums have exploded (which IL reads) that he can't just not comment on this at some stage.

Not when he has commented on other events such as the Higham situation and recent contract renewals directly on the rlfans message board.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan_forever19 85 wrote:But the players using for you examples cpwigan are part of the older generation of rugby when hookers were part of the pack, and now they are almost an extra back in most cases. I do see your point in the sense the more successful 6's even in the modern era e.g Pryce and Barrett are big enough to take tacklers on. This isn't the case everywhere though Maguire, brown, harris, orr are notably smaller in statue and and play what i would consider a 7's type of game in the 6 jersey. I think if you got the passing and kicking ability that dobson has you can always tinker with the players position. Briers hardly ever takes on the defence himself in fact when was the last time you saw him tackled?. I am probably being snowblinded by the fact i really rate dobson because he shone but to be fair the team he shone in was poor. There is no guarentee he would be as good for us if he came back.

I know you mentioned edwards i always felt that dobson had a similar playing style to edwards also.
Possibly. I think what holds Dobbo back is that he does what is expected in the sense he finds his runners etc and he kicks superbly. Nothing wrong with that but often at the highest level you need to hold the defence or at least make them think you will run the ball. I am not sure Dobbo does that enough, I always think he is too nice.

Edwards ran more than you think and so does Briers.

However, I am old fashioned in that I believe in 7 and 6 standing alongside each other more than they do today when they probably spend more time apart on opposite sides of the POTB.

It may also be that these days hooker, scrum half and fullback are the key playmaker roles. Loose forwards have become another running/tackling back rower and maybe standoff have gone as we know them.

I wouldguess you played more what I would call proper RL at Uni. I often think so at all levels below the very top.

I rate Dobbo and this is just a thought we would have a problem defensively as both Dobbo and Tommy want to defend on the left side.
jimofwigan

Not a new topic more a case of a new source BBC North West News say Trent Barret will go

Post by jimofwigan »

If he goes before the season ends I will devastated because Trent is the best class player we have signed this decade never mind in the last two seasons. The following is why he is so good.This is a list of Trents Testomonies

A good “rugby” player plays where the ball is. A great “rugby” player plays where the ball is going to be.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.

If you think you can win, you can win. Faith is necessary to victory

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared.

Fortune favors the brave
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

After over 4000 hits and 9 pages of replies, I thought I would shove in my pennies worth.
If Trent is to leave, but has not yet formally discussed with the club, then of course the club is not going to comment and neither should they.
If he is to leave earlier than planned, I can only hope that he does see out this season, so that we can set wheels in motion to find a suitable replacement and not a make do.
If he wants to go, then he isn't going to give 100%, so we have to respect his decision (but don't have to like it)
:(
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

FROM A TO B wrote:After over 4000 hits and 9 pages of replies, I thought I would shove in my pennies worth.
If Trent is to leave, but has not yet formally discussed with the club, then of course the club is not going to comment and neither should they.
If he is to leave earlier than planned, I can only hope that he does see out this season, so that we can set wheels in motion to find a suitable replacement and not a make do.
If he wants to go, then he isn't going to give 100%, so we have to respect his decision (but don't have to like it)
:(
I say sod him. if he wants to go I will carry his suitcases to Manchester. No one Player is bigger than than the club and we will be stronger because of this