Calderwood

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Calderwood

Post by pedro »

Colbons fantastic effort in the last minute against Hull this season is soon forgotoon also. :conf:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

UnsungPanapa wrote:If Calderwood is so good under the high ball why did he not catch the last minute one against catalans?
Because the rest of our defence had gone missing and he was left 3 against one.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:Colbons fantastic effort in the last minute against Hull this season is soon forgotoon also. :conf:
You can go round pointing at individual moments of good or bad play but it is rather pointless because none of these taken in isolation are what tells you if a player is any good or not.

It is the overall picture that tells you that and with Colbon I believe this is a fairly accurate one:

Bad points.

He is not particularly good under a high ball.
His defence generally is poor.
He has not got the pace to go the length of the field and will often come inside into traffic rather than back himself to beat a man.
He is too slow for a winger.
Positionally he is poor.

Good points.

He gives the forwards a rest taking the ball up.
He gives 100% effort.
He can score tries from close range (but then I could score some of those never mind him).

In summary he just isn't good enough.

Is he as good as Dallas was? The answer is obviously no so surely if we have Richards on one wing the idea is to have someone as good as Dallas on the other. That should tell us all Colbon isn't good enough. And before someone says "salary cap" Dallas was not considered a mega-bucks signing.

Dave
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote:
pedro wrote:Colbons fantastic effort in the last minute against Hull this season is soon forgotoon also. :conf:
You can go round pointing at individual moments of good or bad play but it is rather pointless because none of these taken in isolation are what tells you if a player is any good or not.

It is the overall picture that tells you that and with Colbon I believe this is a fairly accurate one:

Bad points.

He is not particularly good under a high ball.
His defence generally is poor.
He has not got the pace to go the length of the field and will often come inside into traffic rather than back himself to beat a man.
He is too slow for a winger.
Positionally he is poor.

Good points.

He gives the forwards a rest taking the ball up.
He gives 100% effort.
He can score tries from close range (but then I could score some of those never mind him).

In summary he just isn't good enough.

Is he as good as Dallas was? The answer is obviously no so surely if we have Richards on one wing the idea is to have someone as good as Dallas on the other. That should tell us all Colbon isn't good enough. And before someone says "salary cap" Dallas was not considered a mega-bucks signing.

Dave
well as Calderwood is having finger pointed why not the rest.....!

Not many wingers were as good as Dallas was. All the good point you give for Colbon Dave are plus points for Calderwood for me except he has pace.

What would have happened is Colbon had taken that interception against Bradford last year in the playoffs?...he would have good taken down before the 40.