20/20

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
heydude

Re: 20/20

Post by heydude »

DaveO posted:
GeoffN posted:
The idea's ok in principle, but would be better as , say, 25/25. That still leaves almost two-thirds of the total cap amount to boost the top wages.
Let's face it, £20k p.a. isn't a lot these days!
The Australian system is $3.25 million spread over 25 players.

And I agree £20K isn't a lot when you consider that players like Prescott and Hargreaves are expected to face up to players earning anything up to 10 times that much such as Fielden.

Players can only command high salaries after establishing themselves so will only be high earners for something like five or six years out of a (if they are lucky) 10 year career.

Dave
exactly try and can as much money as you can it's a short career.
don't eat yellow snow
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

On a similar topic, how did London end up with a £3million debt?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 316545.stm

I thought the main reason for the cap was to prevent that happening (with the added bonus of levelling the clubs) ! I know they had an exemption from the overseas quota, did they have an exemption from the 50% cap too? Where did all the money go?
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

as much as i hate the 20/20 rule.. it has made super league so much more competitive.. like wakey making the play offs last year etc.. it is a shame for all our youngsters though to be shown the door.. but we live with it..

& geoff are london REALLY 3 mill in debt??? i will have to go & click that link..?? how is that possible.. & why are they still afloat?? umm.. :conf:
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

wolftown warrior posted:
and geoff are london REALLY 3 mill in debt??? i will have to go & click that link..?? how is that possible.. & why are they still afloat?? umm.. :conf:
It won't just be the salary cap, they do a lot to promote the game and get small crowds in. They go warm weather training and went to the Dubai 7s last year, all costs a lot of money.
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

yeah.. makes sense.. still don`t know how you get £3 million in debt though!!! i know dubai is expensive, but bloomin eck!! :D
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

wolftown warrior posted:
as much as i hate the 20/20 rule.. it has made super league so much more competitive.. like wakey making the play offs last year etc.. it is a shame for all our youngsters though to be shown the door.. but we live with it..

& geoff are london REALLY 3 mill in debt??? i will have to go & click that link..?? how is that possible.. & why are they still afloat?? umm.. :conf:
Yes its more competative. But the top clubs standard has fallen whilst the bottom have come up. This might make for a more level playing field but if the top teams lower there game this can have a detramental effect on the GB team.

Bulls of 2 years ago were a better side than the Leeds of last year and the same can be said about us.