london broncos

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
heydude

london broncos

Post by heydude »

just read after the meeting yesterday with the other super league clubs london broncos are now a new company and their 3 million pound debt has been written off their are now completely debt free how the hell can that happen could someone please explain.
don't eat yellow snow
robjoenz

Re: london broncos

Post by robjoenz »

Are they not operating as a new company thus starting again with no debt? The debts will still exist but under the old company name. It's just a means by which they can continue to operate.
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

ohh.. that old rule.. there are a few companies my place of work have delt with that do that.. they run up bills then go bump.. you can`t claim your money back.. then the next week they are back under a new alias.. clever.. very clever... unless your owed money!!
heydude

Post by heydude »

amazing so just spend as much as you can and then when you get caught just change your name and weh yeh no more money problems i wish i could do that (hmmmmmmm)
don't eat yellow snow
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Maybe im stupid, but was the purpose of the SL franchises supposedly to stop clubs getting in debt. The management have shown a disregard for the SL and therefore should be kicked out.

If that had been Leigh i gurantee you that the Tigers would now be in the SL again. The reason the Broncos are allowed in the SL as to make it a national League if they were not in it, the SL would be seen as nothing more than a Northern game.

Surely the Broncos as they were have folded. Therefore the Franchise has finished. A new franchise gets in overnight and saves the club and gets into SL.

This is wrong as the franchise system was there to gurantee a level playing field to all, yet the Broncos have more foreign players than any club in SL and gets away scotch free.

As in Football they should be docked 10 points for going under at least as this is happening in football now and has happened to Wrexham.

The SL comittee dare not get rid of a London team as this would be bad publicity in the media.

At what price have the Broncos been allowed in. As in the past they have been split down the middle mainly on the cap. If the cap gets a big increase in the next year or two then we know which team has changed there stance.

St;s and i believe Hull were docked points for infringing the SL criteria has the Broncos got away with breaking rules.
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

it is amazing to think how they can pay off 3m so quickly but it must be good for the game to keep them in super league and utc comeing up next year and mayby a cumbrian team soon
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Curtis posted:
it is amazing to think how they can pay off 3m so quickly but it must be good for the game to keep them in super league and utc comeing up next year and mayby a cumbrian team soon
No a Welsh team should be next even a Scotish one. No it is not good for the game as now we have a problem.

What happens to the next club who goes 3 million into debt. Do we keep bailing mis managed clubs everytime.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

London Broncoes are in £3million debt because:-
A) their attendances remain pathetic, where are all the Earls Court Aussies getting their fixes from?
B) the overseas headcount rules are stretched way past breaking point for the Broncos and that leaves them with tremendous costs leading to these debts.
Long term viewers of this site will remember that a few short weeks ago I as belly aching about the Broncos being allowed to have more overseas players than last year, back not forward I said, the RFL should have listened.
What odds that the new debt free!!!! club will be allowed to sign another overseas player in Vinnie Anderson very soon, not long I bet. :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I can understand why people feel as they do about London Broncos having the rules relaxed for them but you have to think about the bigger picture.

Does it have any effect on us as Wigan fans? No, with all due respect they are not as good a side as us, them being allowed to break the quota, for example, is no threat to us.

Secondly, if they did go out of business how much good work would it undo in London. Most fans of RL love to see the game grow outside of the over cliched M62 Corridor. I dare say that London have the hardest job in marketing the game and they put the most work in, they are arranging games 'On The Road' to promote the game, they were the only RL representative at the Earls Court (I think) Sports Show. They are predominantly to thank for the number of schools in and around London playing RL rocketing from about 20 to 150 in the last ten years. They may not produce the talent that Lancashire, Yorkshire and Cumbria do but things are greatly improving (Desi Williams is a product of Broncos Academy).

As I said I can understand some disagreements, but the advantages of allowing London to continue massively outweigh the benefits of throwing them out of RL.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I agree, Rob, that having a London club in SL is good for the game, but not a bankrupt London club! OK it's a 'legal fiction' that they're still solvent but the fact remains that £3m has gone missing somewhere, despite SL's insistence on clubs having a 'sound financial structure'as a criteria for being in SL.
As I said in the 20/20 thread, if they can only spend 50% of their income on players, where has the rest gone? Not all to Dubai, surely?
IMO, the whole justification of the salary cap was to prevent this sort of thing.
Rob, it may not have a direct on us as wigan fans, but it's still bad publicity for the game in this country.
I'm noy saying the RFL are wrong in letting them continue, just that it should not have been allowed to get to that stage - a debt like that doesn't just appear suddenly, it must have been steadily getting worse for some time. Did anyone notice?