Defence

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Defence

Post by cpwigan »

Just be aware when you watch the game again (if you can stomach it) that very often the player made to look stupid in the defensive line is not always entirely to blame and the player at fault was invariably one of our experienced players.

Defence is totally dependent upon teamwork and good communication. When it falls down as badly as it did for Wigan it suggests something is badly wrong both on and off the pitch.

First absolutely no urgency to cut down space and time. Grab the first 3 to 5 yards as fast as you can and your job is half done. We never did.

Secondly, Keeping a straight line and shifting sideways after the ball has gone wider than you or a player has run past to prevent him stepping back. Umpteen tries on the left came from Tommy jumping out the line looking for spectacular big hits. Saints played him time and time again for a fool. Running 4 or 5 v 3. They looked saw Tommy creeping out to a near runner and simply by passed him easily to get overlap after overlap.

Ditto, Trent. A lot of people are blaming the youngsters but who left his position and jumped out to Cayless which allowed him to pass into a huge hole and in turn make Tomkins look bad? Trent, the Scrum try, Saints sucked Trent in leaving acres of room back inside for Wellens. Goulding looked and thought jesus why is my inside man not cutting all that space off and of course Wellens took the P and scored with ease. Goulding looks like a mug but who made him look so? Trent.

Some of you will remember when we threw the 93 Regal Trophy Final v Cas to get rid of Dorahay. Yesterday smelled similar IMO.
josie andrews

Re: Defence

Post by josie andrews »

What defence?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Hansen is our only good defender.

im still in shock as to why mathers ran towards pryce when barret clearly had him. Wouldnt it have been better to hand back and wait for the man in support to get it,
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

josie andrews wrote:What defence?
Josie tut tut. Did you not appreciate how revolutionary our zig zag every man for himself formation was? I think the code name for it amongst the players is rats or ships.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:
josie andrews wrote:What defence?
Josie tut tut. Did you not appreciate how revolutionary our zig zag every man for himself formation was? I think the code name for it amongst the players is rats or ships.
Cp, I was so disappointed. After looking forward to this weekend again, I just thought, even if we get beat they'll put up some sort of game after last year, GF and Bradford last week! How wrong can one be :conf: don't think I will smile again for a long time after this debacle. :( :(

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

nathan_rugby wrote:Hansen is our only good defender.

im still in shock as to why mathers ran towards pryce when barret clearly had him. Wouldnt it have been better to hand back and wait for the man in support to get it,
Good Call. I thought exactly the same at the time but was told he had to go for the man with the ball. It was obvious Pryce was caught so should have stepped back.

Then again, after the Wilkin tackle he might as well as just done nothing at all.

He shouldn't have been on the field, he should have been taken off and replaced by Pat.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I know Josie. I did not think I would see anything worse than GF. To have Sean Long drop a goal and take the P hurt.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Ino its not totally his fault as the players shouldnt have made the break. But fullbacks are there for a reason.

He missed wilkin, went for pryce and gave a half hearted sloppy attempt to get talau in the corner.

Lockers was at fault for the first try after being lazy
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

nathan_rugby wrote:Ino its not totally his fault as the players shouldnt have made the break. But fullbacks are there for a reason.

He missed wilkin, went for pryce and gave a half hearted sloppy attempt to get talau in the corner.

Lockers was at fault for the first try after being lazy
Nathan I was not evben considering the full back, just front line defence. Unfortunately he was at fault for at least 2 maybe 3 tries. They may have scored next play or in that set but he should have stopped them.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

spot on ,we never looked like a team ,just 13 individuals with little heart.lockers should be stripped of captaincy and a few "super stars " should be dropped and B arrewtt should be released as he looks like he's only filling in time.One of our young players could use this time for development