Warriors Land Phelps

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
platt-warrior

Re: Warriors Land Phelps

Post by platt-warrior »

I was'nt aware that Phelps initial contract was until the end of the season with an option after that.This IMO is good business.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Bear wrote:Correct A-B... Everyone always wants new talent and when we get it, fans who are still stuck in the glory days moan whine and winge like theres no tomorro. WHEN WILL PEOPLE START REALISING EDWARDS, HANLEY, FARREL, SKERRET, RADLISKI AND THE REST OF THEM DONT PLAY FOR US ANYMORE... We need to build the club again to that standard and that means fans getting behind the new singings and making them feel welcome
Players like those you mention are, quite rightly, the benchmarks by which new signings are judged. It isn't living in the past, it's common sense.

Dave
warriors

Post by warriors »

I have read a few of the comments, and everyone seems to be thinking that they are replacing Calderwood.

But dont you think that they will be getting a new winger to replace Pat Richards, so he can go as full back to replace Richard Mathers.

But if i am wrong i will put my hand up.

Now talking about the younger players and the signing. From my opinion i would of not signed him, wigan have got enough younger players that could replace him.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

warriors wrote:I have read a few of the comments, and everyone seems to be thinking that they are replacing Calderwood.

But dont you think that they will be getting a new winger to replace Pat Richards, so he can go as full back to replace Richard Mathers.
No because I am convinced Mathers will be here next season and Calderwood won't.
Now talking about the younger players and the signing. From my opinion i would of not signed him, wigan have got enough younger players that could replace him.
How old is he? I thought he is 23 which puts him in theory at a later stage of development than say Goulding and any of our U21 players. In the same age bracket as Colbon.

It would not surprise me to see for 2009 Richards on one wing, Phelps on the other and both Calderwood and Colbon leaving the club.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Phelps is 5ft 10 and physically slim. Not much more physically imposing than Sam T. Would you put Sam T at centre. Having seen Phelps play at centre he is no centre.

Winger? we have plenty. We have 2 who need a chance

Stand Off. Trent going. Phelps is a stand off by trade. However, Canterbury, a poor Canterbury never wanted him to be their stand off. In fact when they first picked him, Steve Folkes commented Why, because we have nobody else :( Since then he has filled in for injured first teamplayers. He has played stand off in lower grades so clearly he impressed nobody enough to get a first team go in his chosen position. Folkes is going, Kevin Moore the new Canterbury coach is not keen. So they release Phelps to free space to sign an outside back from West Tigers.

Trent or

Sam T
A british SL stand off
Chris Bailey starting 6 for the Knights
Dobson, a 7 but proven in SL
An NRL player identified and sought by Wigan
A utility reserve who nobody wants but is hawked around by the agents (Phelps)

To correct one misconception. We never discovered Dobson. He was there. Catalan backed their judgement. We benefitted from Cats player identification not our own.

I backed umpteen coaches/owners up to including Millward. After Millward I decided no more. I do not think Nobby is up to making us winners I.E SL / Challenge Cup. IL I think he enjoys the status but will he make a difference? I do not care if he smiles at fans and makes pleasant exchanges, whether or not he drinks like joe bloggs, I certainly have no desire to see him walking around Cardiff with the Saints owner after they have destroyed us.

Every time you make a mistake in the salary cap era the impact is huge. It is up to IL/BN and the players to earn that respect, our support. Oh the great players mentioned. Nobody was more brutal than those greats if they thought a signing was poor. Why because they wanted to keep winning.

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

:slee:
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

cpwigan wrote:Phelps is 5ft 10 and physically slim. Not much more physically imposing than Sam T. Would you put Sam T at centre. Having seen Phelps play at centre he is no centre.
We may as well get rid of Carmont on that basis as he is the same size ? Goulding is taller but the same weight .
Having seen Carmont in the NRL I thought he was a average performer but goes well for us.
Winger? we have plenty. We have 2 who need a chance

I would agree they should get game time but does that mean if the coaching staff see a player they should not bring them in?
Stand Off. Trent going. Phelps is a stand off by trade. However, Canterbury, a poor Canterbury never wanted him to be their stand off. In fact when they first picked him, Steve Folkes commented Why, because we have nobody else :( Since then he has filled in for injured first teamplayers. He has played stand off in lower grades so clearly he impressed nobody enough to get a first team go in his chosen position. Folkes is going, Kevin Moore the new Canterbury coach is not keen. So they release Phelps to free space to sign an outside back from West Tigers.
You come on here and give us reports and tell us about young prospects in reserve grades I always look forward to reading your opinions , fans from the Bulldogs who have seen him play 6 in reserve grade seem to think he has not been given a chance in his best position ,but still rate him is it not possible they could be rite as you often are ?
Trent or

Sam T
A british SL stand off
Chris Bailey starting 6 for the Knights
Dobson, a 7 but proven in SL
An NRL player identified and sought by Wigan
A utility reserve who nobody wants but is hawked around by the agents (Phelps)
Sam T why or ? and not as well as .
Chris Baily could not come fact.
Dobson went to HKR for more money says it all .
As for Trent you could find 2 or 3 who could replace him in the whole of RL and thus why he so sought after back in Aus
I backed umpteen coaches/owners up to including Millward. After Millward I decided no more. I do not think Nobby is up to making us winners I.E SL / Challenge Cup. IL I think he enjoys the status but will he make a difference? I do not care if he smiles at fans and makes pleasant exchanges, whether or not he drinks like joe bloggs, I certainly have no desire to see him walking around Cardiff with the Saints owner after they have destroyed us.

Every time you make a mistake in the salary cap era the impact is huge. It is up to IL/BN and the players to earn that respect, our support. Oh the great players mentioned. Nobody was more brutal than those greats if they thought a signing was poor. Why because they wanted to keep winning.
I agree with you on the above the Cardiff performance was sickening and something must have happened in the build up reminded me and talking of the greats of a certain final of the Regal Trophy at Headingly against Cas when the players just did not play . I think the great players liked winning but the money even more that just can't happen in the Cap age unless you bend the rules a little and dont get caught in the process .
We are not a million miles away I'm under no illusions that Phelps will be a Bell or Hanley but I think he could go well and will back him to do so . I want us to win and I get disillusioned when we dont look like we are trying IL needs a little time at the moment I'm willing to be patient
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

lucky 13 wrote:I'm willing to give him a chance , to be honest after watching Carmont in the NRL I was not looking forward to his arrival but up to now he has been much better than I imagined.
I think his signing will add a little competition for places On the other side of the coin Matt King came across with a big rep but has been average ,poor if you think of the cap space he takes up , Jason Demtremiou (GOD KNOWS HOW TO SPELL)was not well known but seems to have given great value , not all players who play well in Aus do so over here and vice versa give the lad a chance.
:blush:
Well said! This is my point. It is not only down to raw talent, but the ability and desire to make a "go of it" given a chance in a new country/league.

If IL/BN and the scouts have done their homework on him and others, then we should hope that, despite not being "big, star names", they "shine brighter" than players on pension boosting deals or players who think it is "easy" in the ESL (of which their have been many of those - and quite a few at Wigan :wink: )
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

...Carmont isnt a slim build and would argue about him being 5ft 10.

Carmont was always solid in the nrL no world beater and is the same for us.

Only thing about Phelps I want answering of someone who knows more is...what does he offer that we have not already got?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Competition for places! :doz:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!