Warriors Land Phelps

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Warriors Land Phelps

Post by pedro »

we have that already with the academy lads.....so a better answer pls :doz:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO wrote:
Bear wrote:Correct A-B... Everyone always wants new talent and when we get it, fans who are still stuck in the glory days moan whine and winge like theres no tomorro. WHEN WILL PEOPLE START REALISING EDWARDS, HANLEY, FARREL, SKERRET, RADLISKI AND THE REST OF THEM DONT PLAY FOR US ANYMORE... We need to build the club again to that standard and that means fans getting behind the new singings and making them feel welcome
Players like those you mention are, quite rightly, the benchmarks by which new signings are judged. It isn't living in the past, it's common sense.

Dave
I don't think there's any player in SL these days that is anywhere near their standards. Also, even if there was, they'd command so much money that we couldn't get more than one or two of them.
In that sense, it is living in the past, if only because the salary cap didn't exist when we had that quality all through the team.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

butt monkey wrote:
lucky 13 wrote:I'm willing to give him a chance , to be honest after watching Carmont in the NRL I was not looking forward to his arrival but up to now he has been much better than I imagined.
I think his signing will add a little competition for places On the other side of the coin Matt King came across with a big rep but has been average ,poor if you think of the cap space he takes up , Jason Demtremiou (GOD KNOWS HOW TO SPELL)was not well known but seems to have given great value , not all players who play well in Aus do so over here and vice versa give the lad a chance.
:blush:
Well said! This is my point. It is not only down to raw talent, but the ability and desire to make a "go of it" given a chance in a new country/league.

If IL/BN and the scouts have done their homework on him and others, then we should hope that, despite not being "big, star names", they "shine brighter" than players on pension boosting deals or players who think it is "easy" in the ESL (of which their have been many of those - and quite a few at Wigan :wink: )
Lets hope they've done their homework better on Phelps than they did on Mathers :conf:
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

pedro wrote:...Carmont isnt a slim build and would argue about him being 5ft 10.
Well Phelps is the same height and a pound less in weight as Carmont from what Ihave seen Phelps is not slim
Carmont was always solid in the nrL no world beater and is the same for us.
I always thought he was OK in the NRL and I think he as been better for us in SL just think he as been a better center than I thought he would be over here .
what can he offer that we have not already got?
Bradford fans probably thought the same when they signed Hape
he may be no good or he could be a gem why not give him a chance ?
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The guy isn't even in this country yet and is already getting a hard time. For Gods sake give him a chance :angry: Its a wonder any player would ever want to come to Wigan if they read some of the posts on this and other sites
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

I was actually asking a question when I said what does he offer us as I dont know a lot about him.....so anyone?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

butt monkey wrote:Competition for places! :doz:
pedro wrote:we have that already with the academy lads.....so a better answer pls :doz:
You must be joking!

If you think paying hard earned cash to watch a bunch of reserve graders and younger, try to gain experience and justify selection, whilst attempting to qualify for (at least) the top six, is acceptable!

Can you imagine the outcry, should the team not be strengthened when possible, then suffer from lack of experienced competition (which Phelps - no matter how you want to look at it, has considerably more of, than the likes of Ainscough - who incidentally went awol, and has in my eyes, to prove that players like him deserve another chance, and that they should not expect that "glowing praise" from some fans = guaranteed first team spots).

Otherwise, Wigan might as well sign no one at all!
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Pedro,if you go back to some of CPWIGAN'S post's you will be get all the info you need.
pedro

Post by pedro »

butt monkey wrote:
butt monkey wrote:Competition for places! :doz:
pedro wrote:we have that already with the academy lads.....so a better answer pls :doz:
You must be joking!

If you think paying hard earned cash to watch a bunch of reserve graders and younger, try to gain experience and justify selection, whilst attempting to qualify for (at least) the top six, is acceptable!

Can you imagine the outcry, should the team not be strengthened when possible, then suffer from lack of experienced competition (which Phelps - no matter how you want to look at it, has considerably more of, than the likes of Ainscough - who incidentally went awol, and has in my eyes, to prove that players like him deserve another chance, and that they should not expect that "glowing praise" from some fans = guaranteed first team spots).

Otherwise, Wigan might as well sign no one at all!
you must be joking.....weve signed a reserve grader with hardly any experience and relatively young just like the academy ladsso what does he offer?

This signing seems to be similar to the Flanagan siging and he has not graced us yet and from what im told isnt good enough. (was the next big thing according to Noble)
El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

Hello all

I'm slightly bemused by the outcry at the signing of Phelps, according to the WEP site he is only contracted to the end of the season with an option to stay on. Who else could we sign for that period? Like others have said his signing will mean competition for places which will mean some players will be looking over there shoulder.

Can't he play FB? He can't be any worse than Mather's.
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?