Aspinwall

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Aspinwall

Post by GeoffN »

I was just about to say that, Mrs. C! Until BC comes back (do we know yet if he's playing on Saturday?), I'd like to see Colbon on the wing with Aspi at centre (and Brown at 6, assuming Orr's gonna be out for a while.)
BIG AL

Post by BIG AL »

the trouble with Aspinwall this season and to some extent last season is that he is not a winger watch the difference in him when carney gets back and they are paired together on the same side of the field
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

BIG AL posted:
the trouble with Aspinwall this season and to some extent last season is that he is not a winger watch the difference in him when carney gets back and they are paired together on the same side of the field
:conf:
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

We should have the chance to see at london on saturday.

Carney will be back and thus aspy can move to centre with browny replacing orr at 6.
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

All should be well that ends well
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
heydude

Post by heydude »

steve posted:
You dont have a player for one try a season. he s no twiggy and thats what we need. Wigans bench isnt strong enough either oh and I rate kev brown.
hold on i remember a centre not so long ago who didn't really score tries but what a tackler and i see aspinwall in the same vein as this player and he was regarded as wigan class i think his name was gary connolly (maybe)
don't eat yellow snow
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

heydude posted:
steve posted:
You dont have a player for one try a season. he s no twiggy and thats what we need. Wigans bench isnt strong enough either oh and I rate kev brown.
hold on i remember a centre not so long ago who didn't really score tries but what a tackler and i see aspinwall in the same vein as this player and he was regarded as wigan class i think his name was gary connolly (maybe)
You're all being a bit unfair on Aspinwall. He outscored Connelly in recent seasons, he's won me a few quid at the bookies as first try scorer. 14 tries last year isn't exactly one per season. But defensively he's definitely the replacement for Gazza, albeit maybe he's not as good with the one-on-one steals that Connolly used to do. Last year everyone was calling Dodgy Hodgy, he used to get the tries now-and-again but he was utterly useless in defence and we got rid. Seems daft to talk of getting rid of a player who gets tries and can tackle just because he's had to play out of position. From what I remember of the radio commentary from the Bradford game, Vainokolo didn't have things all his own way going up against Aspy and Wild, and last season Aspy helped keep Keith Senior out of more than one game.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
elizwigan

Post by elizwigan »

I THINK ASPIWALL HAS A LOT GOING AND HE IS A GOOD PLAYER :)
Eliz likes sum1 special

RIP Mike Gregory
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

heydude posted:
steve posted:
Same vein maybe, but definitely not the same class. At Aspy's age now connolly had been good enough for 1st grade for 7 years and was an established (?)international. It's not doing him any favours comparing him to Connolly
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

steve posted:
Not wigan standard simple as!!! We should have got rid of him with Hodgeson. I havent seen him break a tackle yet. In fact I doubt he could even break wind!!!
I agree. He is not a line breaking centre as far as I can see. Can anyone see the potential in him to be like Vaekelli?

I can't say I do. Watching the NZ guy shows what modern centre play is about - power and strenght to break through. I just don't see Aspy ever doing this.

The fact Wild is played as a centre over Aspy is down to his strength and size IMO.

Dave