We can't stop the player drain from the NRL

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

We can't stop the player drain from the NRL

Post by josie andrews »

UNDER-FIRE NRL boss David Gallop has finally conceded there is nothing the league can do to stop rugby union and overseas clubs poaching the game's best players.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that almost a third of the players involved in the State of Origin series just two years ago are now playing overseas or about to be.

The devastating figures highlight the NRL's difficulty in retaining its marquee players as England's Super League and rich rugby clubs hand-pick the biggest names in the game to bolster their own competitions.

But as high-profile player Willie Mason engages in a war of wits with Parramatta boss Denis Fitzgerald about player salaries, Gallop came under attack from club bosses who accuse him for leaving the game in a "state of inertia".

Chief executives left last week's CEOs conference disillusioned there was no strategic plan to grow the game's revenue - which they believe is the only solution to ward off players leaving the NRL for more dollars elsewhere.

"We need to know what we are doing in five years' time, not just 10 years," Melbourne CEO Brian Waldron said.

Salaries will not be increased to compete against rival codes, effectively leaving the NRL defenceless against poaching.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 23,00.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: We can't stop the player drain from the NRL

Post by josie andrews »

Action needed to halt exodus
By Andrew Johns | May 30, 2008
MICHAEL Crocker's decision to leave the NRL and jeopardise his Test jumper is certainly a big story.
But there's an even bigger issue here - English Super League and European rugby union.

I can fully understand Ricky Stuart's stance in not wanting Crocker in his World Cup squad.

Ricky wants a player that will be here for years to come. And Crocker is off to Hull FC.

I may sound like I'm sitting on the fence here but I also agree with Crocker. He had to take the money.

Michael has been a rugged competitor for years and, at 27, has every right to chase a few bucks toward the end of his career.

But I know Michael would be pretty shattered if overlooked for the World Cup squad because he has always been a passionate Kangaroo.

But what about the bigger picture?

We need to stop these star players from walking out on our game.

I really think we should call some sort of summit to discuss the on-going exodus to England.

Answers are difficult but we need to get a cross-section of people from the game into one room and talk this issue through - because I don't think it's going away.

We have to come up with different ideas and think outside the circle. I'd hate to think in 10 years time we are nothing more than a feeder competition for Super League or rugby union.

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
right cross

Re: We can't stop the player drain from the NRL

Post by right cross »

wait till next year when unions salary cap is increased ,but as always at red hall they will shut the gate after the horse as bolted?