Barrett

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Barrett

Post by medlocke »

Don't know whether this has bee posted but it's a bit of a pee take if you ask me, he's the one who wants out, therefore he should forefit any other payments.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/cr ... 48847.html
FROM A TO B

Re: Barrett

Post by FROM A TO B »

I wouldn't take too much notice as yet. Is this not the same site that posted comments from Trents dad saying he was on his way home almost immediately and that he wasn't happy at Wigan.
Just stirring the poo if you ask me
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
luke_robinsons_angel

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

i don't have time for all these stories coming from australia, most of them are just hot air with no substance.
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

i read a similar story on that on rlfans....

dont believe it myslf but iv it is true he has got some cheek...
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I can't remember where, but I'm sure a read a quote from Barrett saying that it is very likely that he will be leaving at the end of the year. Perhaps his wife is having a change of heart....
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shawcross da warrior wrote:i read a similar story on that on rlfans....

dont believe it myslf but iv it is true he has got some cheek...
thats where i read it, if true, the guy has gone down a peg or three in my eyes
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Frankly, the story makes no sense at all. If Barrett wanted more payments why would that be blocking him leaving the club? He would just pursue the matter in an employment tribunal or in the courts after he leaves. Its far more likely that Wigan's desire for some compensation either in cash or a player swap deal would be time-consming to finalise.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

If Barrett was staying at the club next year and the deffered payments bumped up his pay paypacket then he would be entitled to it if true and would be paid accordingly
Barrett is walking away from the club and not adhering to his contract which the third seasons wages would have given him .
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 wrote:If Barrett was staying at the club next year and the deffered payments bumped up his pay paypacket then he would be entitled to it if true and would be paid accordingly
I don't think we should confuse what is being suggested with deferred payments. As fas as I know Barrett did not take a pay cut (i.e. defer any salary) on the promise of a longer contract or better deal in later years.

Players who did this such as Feka and Hansen got longer contracts for taking the cut.

In Barrett's case this payment structure will have been his in his original contract which just meant a pay rise each year.

The argument, if there is one, will be that his contract if completed over three years would have been worth say £600K i.e. an average of £200K a year. Because he leaves early then his first years wages may have been say £170K and this years £200K with the rest of the £600K due next season i.e. £230K. That means for the two years he has been here his average pay would be £185K instead of £200K a year. So the argument will be we owe him £30K to make this up a £200K average.

My own view is there is no way Barrett expects this to happen given he is being done a favour in being let go early. If there is any truth in it then it will be from his agent trying to wrangle some more cash from Wigan and I'd expect IL to tell him where to go.

If there is any critism of Barrett it should only be he needs to get a grip on what his agent is up to and tell his agent what he wants and expects and not to go off making stupid demands.

It also can't happen because that £30K would count on this years salary cap just as if we paid any player off for leaving early. I very much doubt the club is in a position to simply hand out an extra £30K in wages to anyone.
Barrett is walking away from the club and not adhering to his contract which the third seasons wages would have given him .
Exactly. To qualify for his final years salary he needs to be here to earn it and can't expect a portion of it to be backdated.

As I said in any case I doubt Barrett has asked for this.

Dave