get rid of fielden.....NOW!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: get rid of fielden.....NOW...

Post by Mike »

cpwigan wrote: :eusa8: He's world class, he will come good

:D Amazing how many hypocrites have done a 360 since last week.
IF anyone had done a 360, they'd be facing the same way :)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think you can assume that Pryce will not play this season and that no more money exists to register him under the salary cap. However, until Phelps and Smith were signed, the money earmarked for Pryce has been DEAD money. What happens in 2009? Do we again mothball a % of our cap waiting for Pryce whilst releasing others such as O'Carrol.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:I think you can assume that Pryce will not play this season and that no more money exists to register him under the salary cap. However, until Phelps and Smith were signed, the money earmarked for Pryce has been DEAD money. What happens in 2009? Do we again mothball a % of our cap waiting for Pryce whilst releasing others such as O'Carrol.
The fact we have got Phelps and Smith this season is one thing but what happens to O'Carroll in 2009 is what I am concerned about and if we release him under the circumstances you mention you have to start to question the logic of waiting for Pryce to get fit.

We needed to replace Barrett so Smith has been signed for that(regardless of the merits of this decision) but I can't see all of Barrets wage heading in Smiths direction so I just can't see why there would not be money available to keep O'Carroll unless it goes on players like Phelps.

It seems to me we ought to have the flexibility under the salary cap to keep O'Carroll so if he leaves it will be a deliberate decision to let him go and one I would love to hear IL try and justify.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not sure why Dave but the information that several people gleaned from within the club that the money available was a straight choice between Colbon/O'Carrol. I agree re your summary of the relative merits of the 2 players but Noble opted for Colbon. I do wonder re Colbon is a Wiganer, friends/family attending matches blah blah whilst O'Carrol is an Oldham lad. It should have no influence but who knows.

Coyle is not on a large salary. I believe that this season they have used his salary, maybe Flannagan's and possibly the cap money mothballed for Pryce to get Phelps/Smith.

Trent is on at least £250,000. So Smith may take some of that but there should still be a large % left for others. If players are released in 2009 and no more quality players signed then one has to start asking what has happened to Trent's salary.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

Mike wrote:
cpwigan wrote: :eusa8: He's world class, he will come good

:D Amazing how many hypocrites have done a 360 since last week.
IF anyone had done a 360, they'd be facing the same way :)
Damn u beat me to saying that! 360 my arse!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Big mistake if we let O'Carroll leave the club.

I remember when Barrie McDermott said at a past Riversiders meeting that he was asked by the Rhinos which young British prop they should try and sign.

First name he came out with ... Eamon O'Carroll

The only way the club can offload Fielden is by sticking him on the transfer list, whether they could recover anywhere near what they shelled out for him is another matter.

So too is finding a club willing to take him on a similar contract.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

wonder what money the big waist is on?

how many of us chucking a fiver in, would it take to buy his contract out???

if only....

El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

Serious question. How highly do you rate O'Carrol?

I would keep him over Colbon and Fielden but are there better props coming through the reserves/youth set up?

I like O'Carrol as he gives it 100% every time but I'm not convinced he is going to be anything special, doesn't often break the tackle or offload.

For me he would be 4th choice behind Prescott, Feka and Coley.
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

El Bobbers wrote:Serious question. How highly do you rate O'Carrol?

I would keep him over Colbon and Fielden but are there better props coming through the reserves/youth set up?

I like O'Carrol as he gives it 100% every time but I'm not convinced he is going to be anything special, doesn't often break the tackle or offload.

To be honest EB, nobody knows whether O'Carrol will become anything more than he is now but he has a fair chance. Age is on his side so he seems to have the potential to get better. How many young British props are out there?

Will Fielden get any better?

I would be less concerned if Noble had the guts to drop Fielden but that would rweflect on notonly Fielden but Noble. Alas, as it stands he has no reason to improve. He can play garbage and still get selected time and time again.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

El Bobbers wrote:Serious question. How highly do you rate O'Carrol?

i've always rated O'caz very highly! i've always rooted for him and said he'll make it big!

just bloody nobby has his favourites!