reserve team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
topskin

reserve team

Post by topskin »

whats the point of haveing a reserve team if they not given a chance same story every week same players letting us down yet noble wont drop them sam reay lee mossop sam tomkin must be getting sick of being over looked
The Eclipse

Re: reserve team

Post by The Eclipse »

The sad fact is Sam Tomkins could score 5 tries every week for the next 10 weeks and still won't get a chance in SL, unless there is an injury crisis. Likewise Goulding, no matter how well he plays from here on in, it wont matter because certain players will not be dropped.
The coach likes to justify his signings, keep an eye on who he mentions after every game.
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

The Eclipse wrote:The sad fact is Sam Tomkins could score 5 tries every week for the next 10 weeks and still won't get a chance in SL, unless there is an injury crisis. Likewise Goulding, no matter how well he plays from here on in, it wont matter because certain players will not be dropped.
The coach likes to justify his signings, keep an eye on who he mentions after every game.
:eusa2:
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

I can see that is why Smith is here on a year and half deal, because then Tompkins will be ready and he can pick up new things from Tim Smith like he has been doing from Trent.

Goulding, on the other hand, I can actually see him playing the same amount of games as he has this year- bringing on his experience and also working on his bad points in his game, he will benefit from phelps being here. he needs pressure taking off him because recently some fans on the other site have been rather critical of young darrel so I feel he will benefit from time out of the first team.

There are many reserves who I can see coming through in the next couple of years such as Mossop, Stanton, Ainscough etc.

Especially when the number of aussie players decreases I can see us having a very successful side, so I think that we need to be patient and accept that to be stable we need to have a core of Aussies at the minute.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

warrior till i die wrote:I can see that is why Smith is here on a year and half deal, because then Tompkins will be ready and he can pick up new things from Tim Smith like he has been doing from Trent.

Goulding, on the other hand, I can actually see him playing the same amount of games as he has this year- bringing on his experience and also working on his bad points in his game, he will benefit from phelps being here. he needs pressure taking off him because recently some fans on the other site have been rather critical of young darrel so I feel he will benefit from time out of the first team.

There are many reserves who I can see coming through in the next couple of years such as Mossop, Stanton, Ainscough etc.

Especially when the number of aussie players decreases I can see us having a very successful side, so I think that we need to be patient and accept that to be stable we need to have a core of Aussies at the minute.
i agree. i think that the aussies coming over at the moment like phelps and smith will help take pressure off the young players like goulding and tomkins and let them develop their game at a good pace instead of rushing them in. i think in 2-3 years we will have a core of players who have come from through the acadamy like goulding, tomkins brothers, lockers, hock, hansen, Mculurrum, colbon, coyle, presscot, maybe o' carroll (depending if he doesnt go to catalans). plus others coming through. we have to be a it patient.
Nine

Post by Nine »

warrior till i die wrote:I can see that is why Smith is here on a year and half deal, because then Tompkins will be ready and he can pick up new things from Tim Smith like he has been doing from Trent.

I agree. Too often people get the hump when the first team loses and start to build up the youngsters in their mind as some kind of immediate solution. Sorry folks, but stick a 17, 18, 19-year-old kid in the first team for an extended run and you risk injury and burn-out and are virtually guaranteed that they will hit the wall in terms of performance at some point. Of course, that's when some people turn on them and start saying "he's not good enough".

These, of course, are often the same people who, when we're debating who we'd like to see strengthen the team, list mostly Aussie or Kiwi superstars. See a fairly recent thread of the "who would you sign if you could" type.

As a for instance, George Carmont is 10 years older than Darrell Goulding - 10 years more experience of first team rugby, big games and general game "nous". Goulding is doing OK but give the lad a chance to continue his development as a player and learn as he goes - not to mention the maturity of muscle that men develop after their teens. He's a cracking player and will be an important player for the club well into the future, IMO, but for God's sake the lad's only 19. What harm can it do him to share some game time with Phelps this season?
Squad number 18!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Oh and ignore burn out blah blah. Goulding played and outplayed Israel Falau and Chris Lawerence. Both now play NRL week in week out. Young players are fit and healthy. It's the old lags carrying years of battlescars / injuries / operations that burn out.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

cpwigan wrote:Oh and ignore burn out blah blah. Goulding played and outplayed Israel Falau and Chris Lawerence. Both now play NRL week in week out. Young players are fit and healthy. It's the old lags carrying years of battlescars / injuries / operations that burn out.
Yes these old players may burn out Physically but the thing which I think Nine, and myself, where getting at is that players (like goulding) could burn out mentally which would damage him as a player. Nothing against the reserves ability but I feel we need players who are mentally strong and know how to handle the big stage.
ancient and loyal upon my chest

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

if the are good enough they are old enough, we need to allow our yongsters to develop yes, but i you have a special tallet as everyone feels we have with topkins, tha does need to be done carefully

but experiance isnt the bee all and end all, George Carmont has only played in the NRL sine 2004, so has 2 years more experiance than goulding, and who is the better centre?
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

One thing you need to remember is that very often those early to mid 20's are when a player is at his fastest speed wise and most injury free. Now whilst you can get jaded mentally I would think being fast/injury free is great for confidence and mental halth. What must frusyrate is how Noble takes ad hoc decisions regarding team selection. How do you explain to players you played fabulous v Leeds but I am going to drop you. The biggest thing a coach can do for youngsters is show confidence and self belief in them and defend them from any negative comments / influences.

What do people think is the peak for a RL player bar props?

Personally I would say 24-28

Maybe 26-30 for props