What now for Wigan?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
El Rifle

What now for Wigan?

Post by El Rifle »

With todays news the faint hope of Farrell staying has dwindled further. What happens now?
Do we have someone lined up to replace him asap? Surely its unthinkable to lose two world class forwards (Davico) and replace them with one good but not outstanding forward? (guisset)
I think our pack has been light for a couple of seasons with injuries etc now and it always costs us. fortunately we have had guys like Craig Smith and farrell who can carry a pack.
I dont think we can expect the same from Seuseu in his first year here and the injury prone sculthorpe.

To me its pretty clear we need two big forwards with farrell gone....and also hock now. Without two players our season will be one destined for mediocrity, injuries galore and a long road in the playoffs.
mrs_carney

Re: What now for Wigan?

Post by mrs_carney »

Guisset has played his backside off the short while he has been here, i dont think theres anything wrong with him, but i agree we need at least 1 more prop
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Guisset and SeuSeu have both looked very promising to me, I don't understand why they couldnt both prove you wrong in their first year.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Ooh forgot to mention seuseu, why would he not be up to standard in his first year? Got to agree with MrsLam
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

i thaught guisset was one of our best players when he was on the field. We missed danny orr tonight even though browny had a good game we needed another back.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

warrior till i die posted:
i thaught guisset was one of our best players when he was on the field. We missed danny orr tonight even though browny had a good game we needed another back.
Brown had a good game???????????

Sorry his run for the first try was very good but then on he was poor. Guissett has been a good buy.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

What now for Wigan?

Nothing at all this season that is what.

We might even have the "thrill" fo a relegation fight to "entertain" us as the season progresses.

Leigh will turn up at the JJB with some hope of actually getting something from the game next week.

Apart from Leigh I can't where another win is going to come from. And yes, I do mean that.

Saints will end the JJB hoodoo with a cricket score. We have not got a hope against Leeds, Bradford and Hull.

In fact any half decent side with a bit of organisation will turn us over.

The team and club are IMO in crisis. Maurice Lindsay has sat on his backside while the RFU arrange Farrell's transfer. Betts is blaming the young players petulence and his comments on the Sporting Life web site after the match show he is cluleless as to what to do about it.

We let O'Connor, Cassidy and Smith go and replaced them with lesser players. The young players are not ready for SL and the experienced payers are not good enough.

We have had some awful luck with injuries sure enough but the trouble clear for all to see.

Wigan are an extemely poor side and if we are in a transition period to anywhere it looks like a transition to also rans.

Dave
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

dave, as much as i don`t always agree with your doom mongering!! i have to say as of right now, i agree with your above post.. hopefully by morning i will have simmered a bit, but u have to say that saints are gonna be licking there lips for the easter game.. still think we would beat leigh.. but like u say.. they will be coming in thinking we can win...

i thought we had an easy start to superleague x.... guess that went up in smoke!

the boys need our support now more than ever.. will be tense for the first 10 mins next week.. have to get off to a flyer verus the centurions to calm everyones nerves!
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

wolftown warrior posted:
dave, as much as i don`t always agree with your doom mongering!! i have to say as of right now, i agree with your above post.. hopefully by morning i will have simmered a bit, but u have to say that saints are gonna be licking there lips for the easter game.. still think we would beat leigh.. but like u say.. they will be coming in thinking we can win...

i thought we had an easy start to superleague x.... guess that went up in smoke!

the boys need our support now more than ever.. will be tense for the first 10 mins next week.. have to get off to a flyer verus the centurions to calm everyones nerves!
As far as i can see, DaveO is the 1 person who tries to stay positive normally. But I agree with every point he has made, I logged onto the site to make many of the points but he has beat me to the punch.

To me though, our single biggest problem is our lack of invention and structure when we have the ball. We are always flat, we never use dummy runners, we dont have any dynamic players like most other teams in Super league have, especially the top sides. When we have to score points we cant, we end up forcing the pass because we are not used to playing an expansive game.

I am not one for saying sack the coach either, but we need a top coach with bags of experience to come in and sort this lot out. Im afraid betts doesnt have the managerial knowledge yet to do it.

We need a complete overhaul of the playing staff, theres about 2 maybe 3 players there who in my mind are Wigan standard. And to do this see above, we need a quality coach to come in and say look Maurice, this guy this guy and this guy are not good enough, now you go out to Australia, get the cheque book out or do whatever you need to do to get some truely world class players in, because at the moment we have 2 players who are truely world class, and those are Rads and Carney( im not countin Farrel no more), the rest are average at best, you can afford to have a few average players in your squad, but we have a squad mostly made up of average players.
GazzL82

Post by GazzL82 »

ChrisA posted: I am not one for saying sack the coach either, but we need a top coach with bags of experience to come in and sort this lot out. Im afraid betts doesnt have the managerial knowledge yet to do it.
i totally agree with u here ChrisA, dennis does seem very tactically naive and unable to offer up any change in tactics at points throughtout a match when it is obvious that our usual of running it straight up the middle is not working (again!) his major tactic seems to consist of throwing wayne godwin on in the hope that he'll come up with something to get us some points
ChrisA posted: at the moment we have 2 players who are truely world class, and those are Rads and Carney
Carney world class!? when was the last time he did anything @ all for wigan? does anyone have the slightest idea just how long this injury saga of his is going to drag on for? it'll be interesting to see when he comes back just what sort of level he returns at and to because at his best yes i agree he's world class but he has far to many question marks hanging over him right now