Re: Laptop/Computer wiz kidz

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Is it the CPU fan or the Exhaust fan?

What make of laptop (please don't tell me it's a Toshiba!)

If it's the exhaust fan, make sure you're not blocking any of the airflow ports - quite possible if you're resting it on a soft surface like a cushion or bed - you need to allow airflow underneath the base, so it's better on a hard surface like a table top.

Have you checked both fans for accumulated dust?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Nobby`s Girl wrote:Laptop is only about 12 month old so its health should be fine.

Anyone any ideas?
:(
Is it not still under warranty?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Nobby`s Girl wrote:I think its the cpu fan, only thought my bike had an exhaust! :lol:

My laptop is one of the small lightweight notebook ones, called a maxdata. It has no other name to it.

I know what you mean about having the air flow covered up, but i always make sure its clear and it still sounds like its going to take off and gets so hot :(
OK, not familiar with the make, but there should be two fans. The CPU fan is directly on the motherboard, over the CPU chip. The exhaust fan is the one on the casing, that's the one you can feel blowing (usually out of the side). It can sometimes be tricky to get at the CPU fan - laptops aren't very easy to self-service - but if you can (check the manual for how to) check if it needs cleaning.

The good news is that there will an overheat cut-off sensor - does it ever shut itself down when it gets hot?

As buttmonkey says, check if it's still in warranty first, and take it back if it is.

If not, give me the model number and chip type and I'll try and get some more info.

If you want it checking professionally, a good place to go is the one next door to the Griffin, on Standishgate.

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

My laptop does exactly the same!! Although I did fall asleep on the settee with it on my lap, knocking a a cup of coffee on it in the process waking me up throwing the laptop into the air and onto the floor slamming it shut. Its not been the same since for some reason. Wish someone had filmed it.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Nothing to do with Gemma's problem, but seeing as you are being so helpful Geoff, how easy is it to upgrade the memory in a lap top, the one i got free last year only has 512mb and runs slower than Wellens chasing Danny Ward :lol: , from the looks of things memory is cheap at the moment, also is all lap top memory standard or do different manufacturers use different formats ie DDR, DDR2, etc
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

medlocke wrote:Nothing to do with Gemma's problem, but seeing as you are being so helpful Geoff, how easy is it to upgrade the memory in a lap top, the one i got free last year only has 512mb and runs slower than Wellens chasing Danny Ward :lol: , from the looks of things memory is cheap at the moment, also is all lap top memory standard or do different manufacturers use different formats ie DDR, DDR2, etc
Dead easy to add memory - usually just a couple of screws and it just clips in. Most newish laptops will have a spare memory slot or two, so you shouldn't need to take the existing one out.

You do need to make sure you get the right type, but most sites that sell memory upgrades have a full list of all models, and which chip is right for it. It's well worth it, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

I usually use www.play.com for mine.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

GeoffN wrote:
medlocke wrote:Nothing to do with Gemma's problem, but seeing as you are being so helpful Geoff, how easy is it to upgrade the memory in a lap top, the one i got free last year only has 512mb and runs slower than Wellens chasing Danny Ward :lol: , from the looks of things memory is cheap at the moment, also is all lap top memory standard or do different manufacturers use different formats ie DDR, DDR2, etc
Dead easy to add memory - usually just a couple of screws and it just clips in. Most newish laptops will have a spare memory slot or two, so you shouldn't need to take the existing one out.

You do need to make sure you get the right type, but most sites that sell memory upgrades have a full list of all models, and which chip is right for it. It's well worth it, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

I usually use www.play.com for mine.
so it's easier than upgrading a pc's memory then, i had the problem with wrong memory when i upgraded it in my Dell, what a nightmare, cheers anyaways Geoff i shall take a look see at that site.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Nobby`s Girl wrote:Get yourself an external hardrive. Got myself one about 2 weeks back 500mb £80. Saved everything on it so now my laptop runs with almost nothing saved on to it. My thinking was i had that much stuff on my laptop, that was the reason for the cpu fan running on overdrive, but clearly not as its still runing 100mph. :(

Gpartin -- i think you answered your own question as to why yours runs like that! :lol:
Goit mesen a 320gb externalhardrive 2 year back, it's on the desk top, i got around 180gb of music on it, i don't save anything on the lap top, i only use it for surfing t'internet, though i do fancy one of those tera byte external hard drives, bit deer though seeing as i'm currently looking into getting a new motorcycle
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Nobby`s Girl wrote:
medlocke wrote:
Nobby`s Girl wrote:Get yourself an external hardrive. Got myself one about 2 weeks back 500mb £80. Saved everything on it so now my laptop runs with almost nothing saved on to it. My thinking was i had that much stuff on my laptop, that was the reason for the cpu fan running on overdrive, but clearly not as its still runing 100mph. :(

Gpartin -- i think you answered your own question as to why yours runs like that! :lol:
Goit mesen a 320gb externalhardrive 2 year back, it's on the desk top, i got around 180gb of music on it, i don't save anything on the lap top, i only use it for surfing t'internet, though i do fancy one of those tera byte external hard drives, bit deer though seeing as i'm currently looking into getting a new motorcycle

*ahem...please tell me more? Type? Came across a Trimuph rocket 3 today, What a beast!
I got me eye on a Sachs Roadster, only a 125 but i read somewhere that they use the same frame, forks & running gear as they do for their 600, also is fitted with a Yamaha Virago V-Twin, just got to get some finances in order and score a new helmet, then chocs away ginger :lol:

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Gemma - how much CPU is your laptop using? If you open your task manager you should be able to find this out. CPU usage is what makes your computer extra hot in normal circumstances.

To get the task manager up press ctrl-alt-del and select task manager from the resulting menu. Go to the performance tab of the task manager to see a graph of how much CPU you are using. If you are using a lot (more than 20-50%), go to the processes tab and order all the entries by CPU uages (click on the CPU usage column header). This will show you the processes using a lot of your resources. You may have a virus or something that is eating up your CPU all the time and making your machine hot.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐