Sky Sports and World Cup Matches

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
MrDave

Sky Sports and World Cup Matches

Post by MrDave »

Sky Sports have the rights to show all the Rugby League World cup games live...great although you will have to be up at 6am to watch them live.

That is all fine for people who have Sky+ who get all the sky sports channels and can record them you can watch the game at a reasonable time but what about the people who don't have sky sports who usually watch super league games live or in a pub with sky sports. Not many pubs will be open at 6am and not many would so the repeat when the football season is on.

Also how many people are going to bothered getting up at 6am to watch Ireland play Tonga or Scotland play Fiji, probably not many.

Hopefully Sky will realise they are not going to get loads of new customers signing up to sky sports just for the rugby league world cup but instead of wasting the rights to the games they should make the matches available to everyone and use it to promote the Super League and rugby league in general.

They could stream all the games live on the internet (as BBC did with the Euros) or at least have the facility to watch the wholes matches on the internet after they have happened. One slightly more extreme option is to put the games on Sky Sports News which is available on freeview, people tuning in will still get the news bar at the bottom of the screen but will also be treated to a game of rugby league.
Fujiman

Re: Sky Sports and World Cup Matches

Post by Fujiman »

MrDave wrote:Sky Sports have the rights to show all the Rugby League World cup games live...great although you will have to be up at 6am to watch them live.

That is all fine for people who have Sky+ who get all the sky sports channels and can record them you can watch the game at a reasonable time but what about the people who don't have sky sports who usually watch super league games live or in a pub with sky sports. Not many pubs will be open at 6am and not many would so the repeat when the football season is on.

Also how many people are going to bothered getting up at 6am to watch Ireland play Tonga or Scotland play Fiji, probably not many.

Hopefully Sky will realise they are not going to get loads of new customers signing up to sky sports just for the rugby league world cup but instead of wasting the rights to the games they should make the matches available to everyone and use it to promote the Super League and rugby league in general.

They could stream all the games live on the internet (as BBC did with the Euros) or at least have the facility to watch the wholes matches on the internet after they have happened. One slightly more extreme option is to put the games on Sky Sports News which is available on freeview, people tuning in will still get the news bar at the bottom of the screen but will also be treated to a game of rugby league.
Can't see what your gripe is. They will probably be repeated over the channels anyway.They do a good job IMO promoting league
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Fujiman wrote:Can't see what your gripe is. They will probably be repeated over the channels anyway.They do a good job IMO promoting league
I don't have sky sports and there are others who don't have sky either because there are other places they can watch super league which probably won't be open at 6am.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

MrDave wrote:
Fujiman wrote:Can't see what your gripe is. They will probably be repeated over the channels anyway.They do a good job IMO promoting league
I don't have sky sports and there are others who don't have sky either because there are other places they can watch super league which probably won't be open at 6am.
But the time of the live match is down to were tis played Sky can't change that. I remember watching Wigan v Broncos at the Vic in Hindley and that was an early KO (not 6am though think about 10am but not sure)If you have a local and enough people will go I'm sure they'll open up
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The BBC show highlights of the SL games on the super league show - so I would imagine that they will do something similar for the World Cup; so at least you will get to see the best bits.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Lil Feka's Dad

Re: Sky Sports and World Cup M...

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

MrDave wrote:Sky Sports have the rights to show all the Rugby League World cup games live...great although you will have to be up at 6am to watch them live.

I know one!
Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

Actually I agree that they should make it available free to try to attract more viewers to the game. I’ve been saying for ages to anyone who’ll listen that they should do the same with the (Millennium) Magic weekend. A blitz like that is bound to introduce more people to the game and generate more interest among people who may never have seen a game.
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

I pay through the nose every month for sky sports. I would be well cheesed off if people who will not pay the subscription get too watch it for free.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

By that logic, anybody who pays to goes a game should be "cheesed off" that people who haven't bought a ticket get to see the game on telly.

I too pay for sky tv but I believe that special occasions could be broadcast free to promote the game. I subscribe to watch the whole rugby season, and the World Cup is an added bonus at the end of the season. The subscription has not been increased to include the World Cup coverage so technically you're getting it for free. I doubt there are many people who have recently subscribed to sky just to watch the World Cup. The odd freebie would expose the game more.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We could always move Australia to GMT/ BST to save unhappyness half way round the world.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame