I'm On the Edge!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
billyboy

I'm On the Edge!

Post by billyboy »

Sorry, but I’ve just drunk a tray of Strongbow and had to get this off my chest.
Is anyone else becoming as pissed off (just spent about 15 minutes trying to spell disollusioned) with Super League as I am? Here’s why I ask:

The standard of Super League is poor, Wigan & Warrington in the top 6 on the form of these two teams? Bradford in 6th place having lost more games than they have won?
It is hardly elite performance that gets you to the play offs is it?

Secondly, I have never been one who openly slates referees, however there are only six full time referees officiating at six Super League matches each weekend, - Klein, Thaler, Bentham, Silverwood, Smith, & Ganson. It doesn’t matter how bad they are, as they can’t be dropped – 6 matches, 6 officials.
Stuart Cummings had a questions and answers page on the Sky Sports website whereby you could question decisions that had been made during matches over the previous weekend. This Column ended on the 26th March, 8 rounds into the Super League season.
Obviously by this point the fans should know their place and not question what the man in charge says is right.
The standard of refereeing is lower than I remember it being, possibly due to:
· See above – 6 matches, 6 officials – no accountability.
· We have a great game, yet every year we see it necessary to stitch ourselves up by introducing grey areas into the game, i.e. a new interpretation of the rules that were ok the year before, e.g. obstructions, momentum rules, offsides 20 odd times a match, etc. Each year these new interpretations are only implemented for the first few weeks of the season, and then we are back to the previous seasons way of playing.
Either change the rule book or leave things alone, it just increases frustration amongst the fans.
Friday night v Saints was a classic example. McIlorum was rightly sent off for a bad headshot, I have no complaints about that, but that type of tackle goes on report every week of the season, and will do over the coming weeks of the season. There is no consistency, and what should have been a good spectacle for Rugby League was destroyed by a man blowing his whistle every two minutes. Saints went from a team who didn’t concede a penalty against Harlequins two weeks earlier into a team who contributed to a stop – start game. Is this a team who have changed their style of play, or is it a sign of refereeing inconsistency?

Finally, the franchise scheme. I agree with it, however, I feel quite confident in saying that at least one of the teams that get turned down will mount a legal challenge against the RFL. The RFL will no doubt leave themselves wide open to this as they did when Wigan took them to court over the salary cap, with regards to what year any points deduction should be implemented. If it is going to allow clubs to act rationally without fear of relegation, then why have three of the teams who are almost guaranteed a license just sacked their coaches?

The integrity of the game is not too high in my opinion.
I am finding much more enjoyment in watching amateur and reserve team rugby lately.
Anyone else feel like me, or can I sue Bargain Booze?
Paul Cullen's eaten my dictionary!
gpartin

Re: I'm On the Edge!

Post by gpartin »

You're totally spot on about mediocrity and its totally down to salary cap... Look at Hull for example to show what a bad year of injuries can do with smaller squads:

2004 - 3rd
2005 - 5th
2006 - 2nd
2007 - 4th
Currently 10th

Do teams have any money left to offer any win bonuses?

If a player gets taken on on a huge contract and underperforms you're lumbered with him or risk 'going against the spirit of the cap....

The referee situation is also a joke and you're spot on with the interpretation thing. I remember a good few years back when we played Saints at the start of the season when referee's were being strict about players having their hands on the floor whilst playing the ball. New rules take precident over existing rules and on that occasion Saints were pulling our players down left right and centre and we were being penalised resulting in a Saints win.... Things quickly got to normal after that.

Why introduce a rule to make getting offside harder when there are already too many penalties and it is already hit and miss whether the refs are going to enforce it or not?

What we need is a lesser penalty for example for the attacking side to play the ball and have the tackle count wiped for minor indicretions. The time taken moving all the players back and lining up a kick and the advantage gained in yardage doesn't always seem to fit the crime. possession and territory mean everything in Rugby league and referees making mistakes on 50/50 calls can make all the difference and quickly give momentum to one particular side.

Not a bad post though after a load of Strongbow.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

billyboy

Post by billyboy »

Cheers! Just started on the Fosters now due to lack of Strongbow in the house. This'll teach the wife to go away for the night and leave me in charge of the kids!

Anyway back to the thread, I think one of the worst rule changes they have introduced over the last few years is stopping quick penalties. How often do you see a player waiting to get the game flowing again when the referee is stood in front of him waving his arms about holding play up until he blows his whistle for a restart?
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

billyboy wrote:Cheers! Just started on the Fosters now due to lack of Strongbow in the house. This'll teach the wife to go away for the night and leave me in charge of the kids!

Anyway back to the thread, I think one of the worst rule changes they have introduced over the last few years is stopping quick penalties. How often do you see a player waiting to get the game flowing again when the referee is stood in front of him waving his arms about holding play up until he blows his whistle for a restart?
Totally agree yet a fast 20 metre restart is allowed without the defence having to get back onside is it not? I've had this discussion previously on another site. Seems totally barmy to me.

I also used to enjoy striking at the play the ball and playing the ball to yourself.

Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

billyboy

Post by billyboy »

Something else I missed from my initial rant, stealing the ball in the tackle. Who gives a toss if there are two men in the tackle or the player isn't controlling the ball properly. It is a basic skill of Rugby League to hold onto the ball.
Nicky Kiss would never have got a game under these rules.
wigwan

Post by wigwan »

i think that rule change was introduced to help
the ref not the game. i personally think the standard of the league isnt good enough, like you say teams with loosing records can still make the top 6, and yet the top 2 are by far and away the best 2 teams in the comp
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

It hasn't helped the referee though.
It is another area that is open to interpretation of what has gone on in the tackle, i.e. has a player lost the ball or has it been stolen?
This was never a problem in the days before this rule.
It is another area of frustration for the fans.
wigwan

Post by wigwan »

billyboy im with u on the stealing the ball part at the end of the day it shouldnt matter how many are in the tackle if you come up with the ball then so be it, the 1 on 1 rule just adds to more confusion for the ref. i agree about mr kiss he was a right theifing sod haha
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Anything thatcreates turnover in possession is great because otherwise and you will see this in the play offs, you get 6 field position plays including a kick repeated time and time again.
turf

Post by turf »

Another rule that was introduced that I wish they would get rid of is the two feet behind the referee rule.

It's stupid and there is no need for it!!! :eusa17: :eusa17: :angry: :angry: