Feka a joke

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gpartin

Re: Feka a joke

Post by gpartin »

wigwan wrote:i think the fact that he makes more yards in 20mins than others do in 60 says alot. his defence is still not the best but as an offensive force he is the best front row forward we have got. i think thats part of the problem though.
The very reason he attracts 5 defenders every time and the very reason he is tired.. Defences seem to fear him... how many of our other forwards can you say that about?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=KGiglfIHEWE[/youtube]
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

wigwan

Post by wigwan »

none, i certainly dont get the impression when they get the ball that they are gonna make any breaks unlike when feka touches the ball and you think is he gonna steam roll the defence this time. i just wish we could get more out of him, i think we could then he really would be awesome.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

wigwan wrote:none, i certainly dont get the impression when they get the ball that they are gonna make any breaks unlike when feka touches the ball and you think is he gonna steam roll the defence this time. i just wish we could get more out of him, i think we could then he really would be awesome.
We do when he's not flat in the line. If you have a player like feka in you need to have tactics that reflect it and not the flat rugby crap we had at HKR.

Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

wigwan

Post by wigwan »

totally agreee gpartin, when hes running on the ball he is so difficult to stop when he's recieving the ball from nothing u might aswell not bother giving him the ball. but we dont have players running from deep do we.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

This is one area where I think we will improve next year with Riddle.
Higham is a great player going forward but his distribution from half back is not great at giving his forwards momentum.
I had the good fortune of playing with Matin Dermott for a couple of years just before he signed for Wigan and he never ever threw a bad pass in his life.
He gave Edwards and Gregory that vital split second extra because the ball always landed in their bread basket.
Our forwards these days catch a ball then start running.
Paul Cullen's eaten my dictionary!
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

Distribution from Higham is shocking and you're dead right about players catching a ball then running.

However, Feka is a luxury player ; we could afford it if we had two other high class props on top of their game but with Fielden at somewhere around 80% of his ability and Coley who is, at best, a journeyman then we cant afford a 20 minute impact player. He is overweight nomatter how you justify it and the biggest sign of his lack of fitness is him turning his back and trudging into the defensive line, others are doing his work on defence.

Ball in hand there's no-one like him but there's a lot more to the game than 3 or 4 rampaging drives in a game.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

he's a luxury we can't afford and to say his defence is average is nonesense he rubbish in defense
El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

No footwork?

Take a look at the video GPartin posted, nice little step and dummy round the Leeds fullback.

The thing is he is by far and away our most destructive forward even if he only plays for such a short period of time, he still makes the most yards out of all of our forwards.

I disagree about the offloads to how often do you see players near enough to him for him to offload to? As a team I think we are one of the worst in the league when it comes to support play. Again see attached video, only TL bothered to run with him and he stopped his run half way.

I think Feka is a player who splits opinions, I like him plenty of others don't. For me he is the only prop barring the odd burst from Coley who gives us go forward, and often there is only Feka and Hock who dominate other forwards.
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I personally think Feka is a very good player. Attacking wise, he can pass just before the line and that leads to tries. We do not use that enough. He can offload in the tackle. He can run straight or step. For a big guy he has great footwork.

His defence is a liability.

Here's the crux. I am sure the Feka that arrived at Wigan was in far better condition than the Feka we have playing for us now.His playing stats were outstanding too for NZWarriors.

Many of us have been through this before. I cite Inga as an example. When he came he was too big/not fit enough. They took Inga up Winter Hill and flogged him. He came back far fitter and more importantly FASTER. Big and slow, defences can deal with big and faster defences hate. That extra half a yard in pace is vital. Does Feka need to attend the team training sessions? As a 5 minute wonder I am sure he knows his role. Get him up Winter Hill. Every training session for Feka should be fitness,fitness, fitness.

Billy why they do not ask Derm to help the hookers is beyond most of us here. Noble was on a par with Kiss for passing so he cannot teach our hookers anything.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

It seems as though the conditioner doesnt actually know how to get him fit and is blaming it on his fast twitch fibres etc.

Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."