Sack Betts Please

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Sack Betts Please

Post by thegimble »

dallas posted:
don't sack betts yet if we are still stuck in 7th in august then fire betts but get behind the bloke

me at london :(
IS THIS GUY STUPID OR WHAT SO YOUR HAPPY BEING 7TH FROM NOW TO AUGUST. NOT ONE SIDE FINISHING 6TH HAS GOT ANYWHERE NEAR A GRAND FINAL. FINISHING IN THE TOP 3 IS A MUST FOR A CLUB LIKE US.

IF NOT IN TOP 3 THEN YOU CAN KISS A GRAND FINAL GOOD BYE.

mario

Post by mario »

Doug Stand posted:
OK, I was never that keen on Betts or Mike Gregory getting the job at Wigan. That being said I though Mike Gregory did an excellent job and have no problem saying that I was sooo wrong to doubt Gregory.
Now, Betts...he did OK when he took over last year, but there were signs that it wasn't going to work out for him and Wigan. Warrington/Widnes away lasy year were but dreadful matches. They tried everything possible to lose the St.Helens match and the Wakefield match in the play-offs...so I was questioning Betts then.

A coach is judged on his teams performance...now I don't think it is too early because after 5 games they are playing garbage. Sure a lot is down to the playing staff and there are players there who are not up to it. He needed to buy better in the close season. He needed to look at the players that were leaving and fill that void. He needs to inpsire and dare I say it coach the current players and get them playing better.

Wigan will beat Leigh this weekend, but over the year they will lose more than they will win. They will finish seventh in the league at best... and I for one would like to see Ellery Hanley back at Wigan... I'm convinced he would turn the team around.
He did need to buy better,but he did'nt have that choice because Lindsey decides who comes and goes.That's why everyone should sign the petition to get rid of Lindsey.
Ellery Hanley won't come to Wigan as long as Mo is here because he would'nt put up with Mo picking his Squad.
If with any luck Mo did leave at any point we should should judge Betts on a squad of his choice.
Lancaster Rugby

Post by Lancaster Rugby »

The point I think he's trying to make is that Betts did OK at the back end of last season when he was in charge. He hasn't been given the right calibre of new players in the Off-Season to replace the likes of O'Connor and Smith so he's having to do the best with what he's got. Given a couple of new pack men we'll get the go-forward again and do OK. Lindsay not Betts to go!
The only way is up....!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The most disappointing thing about Wigan for me this year is at times they look lost. We seem to play one up football - and considering the size of our pack that is a pretty poor tactic. Yes we could have won the wakefield game, however we could have also lost the salford and widnes games.

I really like Dennis - he was an excellent player for us and always comes across as a good bloke; however his coaching is questionable at best. OK we've struggled with injuries and had to intergrate new players - however that should have meant losing close games to Bradford (which we did), Leeds etc - not getting put to sword to an imported new London squad.

We do have young players, but some of them have been in the squad for more than a year, so they should be used to the speed and intensity of SL. Some of them are just not as good as we had hoped - not wishing to open up old wounds, but we would have been better off keeping Robinson at the expense of Wild, Aspinwall, Brown etc.

Realisitically I expect us to bash Leigh on Friday - everyone else has; Unfortunately I suspect the Saints game may well spoil my bank holiday weekend. Either way unless there is a dramatic improvement I expect Dennis to be looking for employment within a month or so.

As has been stated above, all of the previous coaches have been removed when Wigan were in a far higher place in the table than we are now. 2 wins from 5 games is just not good enough for my beloved Wigan, if this had happened at any other of the "big 4" clubs then the coach would be on his way.

I am not a master RL tactician, nor would I claim to be, however that is what the team badly needs and sadly it is not Dennis. Recruiting a top coach and some decent players from somewhere - anywhere MUST be our top priority

COME ON WIGAN! :(
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Matthew posted:
I am not a master RL tactician, nor would I claim to be, however that is what the team badly needs and sadly it is not Dennis. Recruiting a top coach and some decent players from somewhere - anywhere MUST be our top priority

COME ON WIGAN! :(
I reckon we need to recruit more players before we think about getting a new coach. Give the greatest coach in the world 13 Ricky Bibeys and they'd not win owt!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
Give the greatest coach in the world 13 Ricky Bibeys and they'd not win owt!
There's only ONE Ricky Bibey! One Ricky Bibey!

:wink:
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

GeoffN posted:
robjoenz posted:
Give the greatest coach in the world 13 Ricky Bibeys and they'd not win owt!
There's only ONE Ricky Bibey! One Ricky Bibey!

:wink:
Even though it was sarcastic it still has to be said
THANK GOD
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3