Carney for Smith?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
butt monkey

Re: Carney for Smith?

Post by butt monkey »

TRICKY DICKY wrote:
The quota is 9 next year then 8 the year after.
Sorry Tricky! I trust DaveO on this matter :)
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

DaveO wrote:
Fraggle wrote: By my reckoning, this list has 10 overseas quota players:-

Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Carney
Smith
Riddell
Bailey
Feka
Hall
Leuluai
(Hargreaves?)

Apologies if any of these have somehow become British at some point, but I thought the whole point was to limit the numbers not eligible for a potential GB team and I don't really see Richards ever getting selected for GB even if he is ok for Eire...
Leuluai was declared "federation trained" a few weeks ago so is no longer a quota player. And who is Hargreaves?
Sorry, I meant Hansen. Would he be counted as federation trained despite now being from the southern hemisphere in terms of international representation?

I must have missed out on the news about Leuluai during my long sabbatical from the message boards...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fraggle wrote:
Sorry, I meant Hansen. Would he be counted as federation trained despite now being from the southern hemisphere in terms of international representation?

I must have missed out on the news about Leuluai during my long sabbatical from the message boards...
I missed that about Leuluai, too, Dave, got a link?

Hansen has always been federation trained. Nationality doesn't matter, it's where they played their early rugby that counts.
pedro

Post by pedro »

because he came through the academy
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

Dont know if this means anything but watched the video from Friday again and Smith does not look very happy. Even after his try he did not smile and seems to look glum most of the time. Maybe its just his normal persona and his nickmane in Oz was really miserable git or perhaps he really is homesick
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

emperorkel wrote:Dont know if this means anything but watched the video from Friday again and Smith does not look very happy. Even after his try he did not smile and seems to look glum most of the time. Maybe its just his normal persona and his nickmane in Oz was really miserable git or perhaps he really is homesick
Watch again and see him jumping for joy after putting the kick through for tomkins
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

butt monkey wrote:
TRICKY DICKY wrote:
The quota is 9 next year then 8 the year after.
Sorry Tricky! I trust DaveO on this matter :)
You shouldnt.

Quota is 10 in 2008
9 in 2009
8 in 2010
then 5 in 2011.

This is why most overseas signings will be for two years or less.
A three year deal and you have to be certain he's the player you want in that reduced quota.
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TRICKY DICKY wrote:
Quota is 10 in 2008
9 in 2009
8 in 2010
then 5 in 2011.

A three year deal and you have to be certain he's the player you want in that reduced quota.
I haven't seen it spelled out in such detail. All the original press release from the RFL said was that, as you say, it's 10 in 2008, reducing to 5 in 2010.
Where have you seen the 10-9-8-5 rule laid out? I'd have thought it would be a more evenly spread out reduction, rather than a drop of 3 in the final year.
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

GeoffN wrote:
TRICKY DICKY wrote:
Quota is 10 in 2008
9 in 2009
8 in 2010
then 5 in 2011.

I haven't seen it spelled out in such detail. All the original press release from the RFL said was that, as you say, it's 10 in 2008, reducing to 5 in 2010.
Where have you seen the 10-9-8-5 rule laid out? I'd have thought it would be a more evenly spread out reduction, rather than a drop of 3 in the final year.
This is how the RFL spelled it out in detail at the time of the announcement.
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TRICKY DICKY wrote:
GeoffN wrote:
TRICKY DICKY wrote:
Quota is 10 in 2008
9 in 2009
8 in 2010
then 5 in 2011.

This is how the RFL spelled it out in detail at the time of the announcement.
I still don't remember them spelling it out year by year.

Can't find the original press release on the RFL site now, but DaveO quoted it at the time HERE and all it said was:
During same period of time the number of overseas trained players must drop from 40% to 20%, with the remaining players in a 25 man squad to be made up of players who are Federation Trained or Academy Juniors.
I haven't been able to find anywhere that says what the number must be in each intervening year, just that it has to drop to 5 (20% of 25) by 2010.
Not disagreeing with you, just saying I don't remember seeing it anywhere. Do you have a link?