Song Time On Friday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaiJones

Re: Song Time On Friday

Post by DaiJones »

Do you remember when the tannoy used to play songs doctored to the players' names? i.e. Will Smith's 'Wild Wild West' changed to 'Wild Wild Betts' and I seem to recall Manfred Mann's 'Mighty Quinn' having an "ell" suffixed to it in honour of the mighty Scott.

Did this all happen or have I imagined it? If it did, why did it stop? Was it too annoying or did it end due to a copyright issue? I definitely remember Wild Wild Betts being played when he scored in the disastrous first ever game at the JJB against Stuart Raper's Cas. I remember because I had taken a young lady that night and it was the only thing she enjoyed in the whole sorry evening (her first and to my knowledge last RL game)
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I remember at Central park there was that James Bond song when Faz converted the goals and someone sang "Andy Farrell" at the end of it :D Should definitely be doing that kind of thing again soon and it looks like we are, we did play the Dallas tune on Fri night! We're getting there..
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

MrsLam posted:
I remember at Central park there was that James Bond song when Faz converted the goals and someone sang "Andy Farrell" at the end of it :D Should definitely be doing that kind of thing again soon and it looks like we are, we did play the Dallas tune on Fri night! We're getting there..
They do it at Odsal, the away fans have a good laugh at it, the home fans love it though. I'd welcome summut like that when they announce the players or when they score tries/conversions. We'll always get a RockFM at the end of it though!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Yeah I remember it from Bradford but it was at that shack that had half the stand missing so I was laughing more at that.

Rob don't complain about the rock fm thing did you hear the ones at Widnes?! haha :D every word was sponsored by a company in the area "and wire fm."
I actually think the Rock Fm thing sounds quite good, did they add the 1 2 3 4 to the conversion song?

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

MrsLam posted:
Rob don't complain about the rock fm thing did you hear the ones at Widnes?! haha :D every word was sponsored by a company in the area "and wire fm."
I actually think the Rock Fm thing sounds quite good, did they add the 1 2 3 4 to the conversion song?
I know what you mean, but it's good to see local companies associating themselves with RL. They do it at NL games even more, probably more reliant on their money.

What 1,2,3,4 and what conversion song? Do you mean the one they play when we convert? I forget what song it is, not particularly impressed with it though.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Slightly off topic but leigh always used to play the signature tune from Steptoe when the opposition took to the field. A bit disrespectful but I did have a bit of a laugh.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Conversion song would suggest I'm talking about the song for when we convert yes! It didn't used to count up to the song, I never used to like it but it's growing on me and it does get people dancing when we convert too. Good to see us making a big thing of tries and conversions.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

i think that having rockfm on the back of all music is good because it doesnt only bring money into the club but it means they promote the club on the radio which is what we need to grow