Contract Chaos

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
phibes

Re: Contract Chaos

Post by phibes »

Is it any wonder we have so many underperforming prima donna's in the squad when contracts seem to have nothing to do with form?

Tim Smith (& Todd Carney for that matter) may come cheap, but they're not long-term solutions. If Tim Smith was playing in partnership with Sam Tompkins, I could understand the master-and-apprentice strategy, but surely that's even less likely to happen if we bring in another "troubled" half-back from Oz. Of course, TL is still a young player who the club seems set on developing as a half-back - but the fact that he's been shifted into the hooker slot makes you wonder about his role in the long-term.
Susi

Post by Susi »

I was making the point that higham a better player than mathers not saying put him in mathers place.
I would have pat at full back he clearly showed his prowess there last year.
mathers is yet to show any real mark in the team. As I said at Leeds he was good and i hope you're right and he does come good next year.

As for iffy aussies , it is a well documented fact that the top two teams have an abundance of home grown talent.
It is maddening to see ours not used or fired off elsewhere.
I want to see british preferlaby wigan lads in my home town team.
Clearly that is asking too much. Knee jerk remedies are not the answer.

that is my opinion and last time I checked it was a democracy i was living in.
Mozza was used as an example, we'd never afford him nor attract him to our club.
Probably will end up with Scully .
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It just makes a mockery of the claim by Noble that he wanted to keep Higham. If he had done, booting Mathers would have released some funding.

Noble looks like a liar
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

cpwigan wrote:It just makes a mockery of the claim by Noble that he wanted to keep Higham. If he had done, booting Mathers would have released some funding.

Noble looks like a liar
CP something you posted a while ago about Noble not being the person he portrays on TV was proven to me on Friday night.I said to him as he was leaving the SS bar (after all the demented seals had stopped clapping him) that i hoped Riddel was a superstar because if he wasn't it would come back & bite him.

Also said to him that by getting rid of Calderwood & signing another Speedy winger he was not solving the problem.I said that Calders was twice the leading try scorer in super league before he came to Wigan & that it was lack of creativity by the centres & the teams style of play that was the the problem.He said he disagreed with me on 10 points, told me to keep the faith as he knew how to build a winning team. My reply was i hope so but i also hoped that it wouldn't be boring rugby like he had Bradford playing and we had played most of this season.He just gave me a dirty look.

Someone else in my group said "if it doesn't happen next season Noble you should hand your contract in".Noble
walked off,then as he got to the doors he turned round & came back to us & said"your entitled to your opinions but show some respect,call me Brian,Nobby or mr Noble.His mask slipped and i can imagine from his reaction that he is not someone who likes to be told he is wrong.He also likes the back slapping,but doesn't like to be criticised.

We weren't rude or disrespectful to him,we just said told him that after another humiliating performance that we weren't happy.We weren't impressed by him at all.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I think that Noble is giving Mathers a new contract to snipe on Ian Lennagon. Who said he thought that he saw Phelps at fullback. Phelps has played fullback for the Bulldogs, and won man of the match in that position.
Another blunder from Mr Ostrich Noble.He will not talk to senior players about moves/ defence etc, and has tunnel vision. Come back John Monie who involved the players, this breeds a happy team unit who are involved in play making decisions. Even Saints coach said that he looked at the Wigan team at the begining of the season, and thought we were at top two or three team with the squad in place.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gillysmyhero wrote: Someone else in my group said "if it doesn't happen next season Noble you should hand your contract in".Noble
walked off,then as he got to the doors he turned round & came back to us & said"your entitled to your opinions but show some respect,call me Brian,Nobby or mr Noble.His mask slipped and i can imagine from his reaction that he is not someone who likes to be told he is wrong.He also likes the back slapping,but doesn't like to be criticised.

We weren't rude or disrespectful to him,we just said told him that after another humiliating performance that we weren't happy.We weren't impressed by him at all.
I am sure you weren't rude but would you like to be referred to by your surname in that way? I am far from his biggest fan but I think Noble's response to that was fair enough. What you said about Riddell was fine and even the boring rugby bit. That is fair criticism and if he can't take it well all I can say is it goes with the territory.

However I don't think the way the other member of the group phrased it by saying "if it doesn't happen next season Noble you should hand your contract in." was very polite or going to get anyone anywhere.

In fact while we may all feel this I don't think there was much point in saying it at all. I am sure he knows next season is make or break anyway.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ddtftf wrote:I think that Noble is giving Mathers a new contract to snipe on Ian Lennagon. Who said he thought that he saw Phelps at fullback. Phelps has played fullback for the Bulldogs, and won man of the match in that position.
He won man of the match in that position in his last game for them. He would have won man of the match had he been the water carrier in that game.
He will not talk to senior players about moves/ defence etc, and has tunnel vision. Come back John Monie who involved the players, this breeds a happy team unit who are involved in play making decisions.
I have an uneasy feeling the comments like this are closer to the truth than they ought to be. If he was a master tactician and motivator well OK but I don't think he is either. Not on the evidence of this season!

Dave
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

mrs feka wrote:I was making the point that higham a better player than mathers not saying put him in mathers place.
I would have pat at full back he clearly showed his prowess there last year.
mathers is yet to show any real mark in the team. As I said at Leeds he was good and i hope you're right and he does come good next year.

As for iffy aussies , it is a well documented fact that the top two teams have an abundance of home grown talent.
It is maddening to see ours not used or fired off elsewhere.
I want to see british preferlaby wigan lads in my home town team.
Clearly that is asking too much. Knee jerk remedies are not the answer.

that is my opinion and last time I checked it was a democracy i was living in.
Mozza was used as an example, we'd never afford him nor attract him to our club.
Probably will end up with Scully .
So what is it you actually want: Wigan-born players, or non-Wigan born players like Mozza?

To be honest, I think this period of difficulty is leading to a lot of chaotic thinking by some Wigan fans.

On one hand people are furiously demanding that we bring through the Academy lads, yet on the other they're calling for a new props to be signed, even though two of our current rotation props are ex-Academy.

We can't have it both ways.

I don't know whether we've signed Todd Carney or not, but perhaps we ought to remember that - thanks to Barrett's decision to go home early - we haven't got a stand-off for next year. This problem won't go away just because we sign a new prop. And Sam Tomkins is not the answer. He's still too young to play regularly at 6. In any case, IL dealt with that issue at the FF. He said that Tomkins would be blooded next year. Okay, some of us are choosing not to believe that, but that doesn't make it a lie.

As for TL - frankly, I can't understand the fuss. I think his erratic form and lack of inventiveness has played a big part in our problems this season. Not only that, he's compounded this by reportedly making idiotic comments about the chairman and the fans. And he's not exactly British himself. People are talking as if, in relegating TL to support-hooker, it's another Academy lad having the dirty done to him. Let's get real. TL can be good on his day, but he's no Tim Smith or Todd Carney. I thought we wanted to start winning matches. Surely at least part of the solution to that is is replacing average players with good players?

And to the guy who bushwhacked Noble last Friday, well done - you've probably made him feel even less attached to the club. I've become disillusioned with Noble, as I've said on many threads. I wish we could replace him with someone better ASAP, but getting into his face and being cheeky may have exactly the opposite effect from the one intended.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
And to the guy who bushwhacked Noble last Friday, well done - you've probably made him feel even less attached to the club. I've become disillusioned with Noble, as I've said on many threads. I wish we could replace him with someone better ASAP, but getting into his face and being cheeky may have exactly the opposite effect from the one intended.
Whats this all about ? what happened ?
Read the posts in this thread - the one by gillysmyhero about five or six back!

Dave
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Cruncher wrote:So what is it you actually want: Wigan-born players, or non-Wigan born players like Mozza?

To be honest, I think this period of difficulty is leading to a lot of chaotic thinking by some Wigan fans.

On one hand people are furiously demanding that we bring through the Academy lads, yet on the other they're calling for a new props to be signed, even though two of our current rotation props are ex-Academy.

We can't have it both ways.

I don't know whether we've signed Todd Carney or not, but perhaps we ought to remember that - thanks to Barrett's decision to go home early - we haven't got a stand-off for next year. This problem won't go away just because we sign a new prop. And Sam Tomkins is not the answer. He's still too young to play regularly at 6. In any case, IL dealt with that issue at the FF. He said that Tomkins would be blooded next year. Okay, some of us are choosing not to believe that, but that doesn't make it a lie.

As for TL - frankly, I can't understand the fuss. I think his erratic form and lack of inventiveness has played a big part in our problems this season. Not only that, he's compounded this by reportedly making idiotic comments about the chairman and the fans. And he's not exactly British himself. People are talking as if, in relegating TL to support-hooker, it's another Academy lad having the dirty done to him. Let's get real. TL can be good on his day, but he's no Tim Smith or Todd Carney. I thought we wanted to start winning matches. Surely at least part of the solution to that is is replacing average players with good players?

Not on here as often as you used to be. But a very constructive, concise and reasoned post, which I very much agree with.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!