Re: Phil Bailey.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

pieater-alex wrote:
medlocke wrote:
pieater-alex wrote: I know it would be great but you quite simply can't keep this intensity up.
why not? other teams manage to get off to a flying start, rather than the team going somewhere hot for 2 weeks lets get em somewhere colder, see if that'll help em more.
You can't start off like we are finishing the season because they've had weeks playing with each other in super league matches. No each others game, passes, set moves, etc etc.

Trust me mate you cant. We can get off to a flying start but not at this intensity. No-one can. That's why your best matches come at the end of the season.
Yeah, but that applies to all teams, not just us.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Bailey makes us an awful lot harder to beat and not just by his tackling.

He organises the defence, is a good talker and is very fit.

His technique is also better then most at the club, if you watch every tackle he makes he does so much work in getting the attacker on their back and makes sure he keeps them there whilethe defence is getting re-set. He has been invaluable in stopping the opposition getting on a roll with quick play the balls.

Admittedy he does give the odd pen away for sometimes overdoing it but most times he's spot on and it's exactly what the team needs.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Bailey has not lit any touch papers and should not be in the team when other players are willing to put more effort into a game. Bailey does enough and nothing more.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Watcher wrote:Bailey has not lit any touch papers and should not be in the team when other players are willing to put more effort into a game. Bailey does enough and nothing more.
I think to make you happy with the team, is to let you pick who you want to play for Wigan, because you don't have a good word to say for any player at this club.

Or better still go and support another team, as long as it is not Wigan.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

josie andrews wrote:
Wigan Watcher wrote:Bailey has not lit any touch papers and should not be in the team when other players are willing to put more effort into a game. Bailey does enough and nothing more.
I think to make you happy with the team, is to let you pick who you want to play for Wigan, because you don't have a good word to say for any player at this club.

Why do people like you think they have the right to tell other people what they think? You are wrong about me not liking other player or saying a good word for them, so please get your fact right before you make ridicules comments

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Watcher wrote:
josie andrews wrote:

Why do people like you think they have the right to tell other people what they think? You are wrong about me not liking other player or saying a good word for them, so please get your fact right before you make ridicules comments
I don't think I have a right to tell people how they think as you say, but I have looked at a 3 posts on here in the last few mins, and you have complained about each player. I see you do this on a regular basis so I don't know why you bother to support a team that you continually complain about. Do you have anything positive to say about this team?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

josie andrews wrote:
Wigan Watcher wrote:
josie andrews wrote: I think to make you happy with the team, is to let you pick who you want to play for Wigan, because you don't have a good word to say for any player at this club.

I don't think I have a right to tell people how they think as you say, but I have looked at a 3 posts on here in the last few mins, and you have complained about each player. I see you do this on a regular basis so I don't know why you bother to support a team that you continually complain about. Do you have anything positive to say about this team?
You say you don’t think you have a right to tell people what they think....well don’t do it then

You have looked at my last few posts and I have complained about each player... Wrong again you do need to read more carefully..

Do I have anything positive to say about the team..? I refer you to my last answer.

Please if you do not like what I personally write then do not get involved… This forum is for open discussion and if someone wants to praise the team all the time that is their prerogative, likewise if they wish to comment in any other way that is their prerogative also..

ian b

Post by ian b »

[quote="God"]Hammered on here, IMO without him and Noble putting him in next to Phelps we would have lost to Catalans.

His defence is invaluble his rugby brain is invaluble.IMO he shored up the defence big time and didnt fall off one tackle all night. We are blessed IMO with two of the best defensive second rowers in Super League Hansen and Bailey.

And one of the best all round second row Hock, and also the best up and coming second row/loose/center. Tomkins.

i agree with you mate his defence is excellent.The only thing he does is hold the man down to long sometimes and give away penalties which can be a problem i guess.Tomkins will be awesome in a couple of years as well.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I must say if WW has ever said anything positive I missed it, but this isn't a cheer leader site, it is a site to discuss Warriors, so that's fair enough.
On Bailey, I have become a very recent convert. In attack, his hands aren't too bad and the way he made sure TB scored his second try was superb. We scored so many tries that it is easy to gloss over individual efforts, but that try was at a key point and largely down to him (and Smith's superb long pass).
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Wigan Watcher wrote:
You say you don’t think you have a right to tell people what they think....well don’t do it then
That isn't how I read into Josie's comments - she made a fair observation that you appear to dislike 90% of Wigan players past and present.

You even dislike/don't rate one player (Edwards) that would be in most fan's dream team.

Where in her mail did she say "you can't say that"?
Wigan Watcher wrote: You have looked at my last few posts and I have complained about each player... Wrong again you do need to read more carefully..
Then I'm wrong too - you said Mathers was a liability, we don't have any good props and Bailey doesn't deserve to be in the team. I know I am paraphrasing - but how would you describe these comments - glowing praise?
Wigan Watcher wrote: Do I have anything positive to say about the team..? I refer you to my last answer.
And I refer you to my last answer - and that is a no
Wigan Watcher wrote: Please if you do not like what I personally write then do not get involved… This forum is for open discussion and if someone wants to praise the team all the time that is their prerogative, likewise if they wish to comment in any other way that is their prerogative also..
Well the first two sentences of the last paragraph totally contradict each other - allow me to sum up again. Basically you are saying; if we disagree with you, we shouldn't get involved in the debate. But the forum is for open discussion. So which is it?

Very few people on this site praise the team constantly; in fact I would say the balance this season has been more negative than positive. That said, most people (even cpwigan :)) can find some positives; you on the other hand, seem to be happy only when complaining. In my opinion, Josie isn't a cherry specs wearing eternal optimist - however she is a loyal fan (like most of us) and will see the positives when there are some - especially after one of the best wins of the season. Perhaps you should try it (although I'm not saying you HAVE too!)

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------