Re: Boxing Day v Warrington?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Boxing Day v Warringto...

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

botica wrote:I cannot wait.. Boxing Day it's traditional to go watch Rugby!
Aren't the latics at home over xmas? IMO Whelan will use another of his priceless excuses for this game to be played at Warrington every year. :conf:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

I'm sure all players and fans want a match in memory of Mike Gregory but boxing day just isn't the day to play it.

On the fitness side of things it comes at a very bad time for pre season preparation, players playing the world cup will need a rest, it would be too early to play players recovering from injuries from the season just gone and like someone else said the overseas player probably won't be here. Physical limitations mean that both team will not be able to field full strength teams.

Personally I think there should be a Mike Gregory memorial trophy awarded to the winners of the first game of the season between Wigan and Warrington. I think a tough competitive match with full strength teams is a more fitting tribute. It would also mean the game could alternate between JJB and Warrington.
pedro

Post by pedro »

good idea
shevington

Post by shevington »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Aren't the latics at home over xmas? IMO Whelan will use another of his priceless excuses for this game to be played at Warrington every year. :conf:

Wigan Athletic play their home game on boxing day.. have done for the past few seasons...
They play Newcastle this year so if the Warriors are to play Wire it will have to be at Warrington.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Got an email today from the club stating that
"a meeting is taking place next week to confirm a possible friendly but at present there are no plans to play for a Mike Gregory Trophy if this game went ahead".
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

its happening. like i posted before karl pryce told me at that awards dinner and i dont think he would lie
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

josie andrews wrote:Got an email today from the club stating that
"a meeting is taking place next week to confirm a possible friendly but at present there are no plans to play for a Mike Gregory Trophy if this game went ahead".
Reply with "make some then". Its a no brainer really, I don't see what their problem is.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

gpartin wrote:
mike binder wrote:we should play sts boxing day and wire new years day,ohhhhhh those were the days my friend we thought theyd never end
You bugger I'll be singing that all day now...

na na na na na na...
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
yes it will be we will never play a none competetive game at the JJb .wigan have asked for half gate monies on friendleys warrington and leigh have agreed
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

mike binder wrote:
gpartin wrote:
mike binder wrote:we should play sts boxing day and wire new years day,ohhhhhh those were the days my friend we thought theyd never end
You bugger I'll be singing that all day now...

na na na na na na...
Did you really have to bring this back to my attention??

Once upon a time there was a tavern, where we used to raise a glass or two. Tokk three days to get it out of my head last time ;)
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."