Lockyer on his way for 2010?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
jayzn

Lockyer on his way for 2010?

Post by jayzn »

The big Rugby news was that Bird has signed for Bradford for 2009, but this news has been squashed by the Big News that Lockyer is looking at the Superleague for 2010 with Wigan as favourites to sign him.

See the below links:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ue?rss=yes

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 89,00.html
cpwigan

Re: Lockyer on his way for 2010?

Post by cpwigan »

Which MAY explain why we did not fight to the death for Greg Bird.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

And HOW OLD will he be if he signs?

Just what wigan do not want to be wasting money on signing - a player who has so far missed the broncos preseason training to overcome niggling injuries. What chance his fitness/injuries improving before he signs? (if he does)
Lockyer's manager Georg Mimis said he had not spoken to the Dragons and Lockyer only wanted to remain in Brisbane.

"We're not speaking to anyone other than the Broncos," Mimis said. "Our goal is to have something nutted out before the season kicks off and there would be no logic at all in Darren leaving Brisbane.
Appears to contradict all the paper talk about lockyer wanting to move to the esl.

http://www.broncos.com.au/index.php?page_id=3819
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

Barrett is a year younger than him i think
thomo

Post by thomo »

what the hell do we want with a 32 maybe even 33 year old injury prone player - he will come here no doubt on a two year deal - play ten or so games in the first season and then ask for a release of go home.
We need to build for the future and get players on long temr contracts who are going to have careers here
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

I can see the appeal with Lockyer.

All our half back are young and need some one old (experence) to guide them. This is way i gutted barret went home early. He may not have been greta on the feild last season but i am sure he would have conmtrubuted to the development and Tommy and Sam.

Give Lockyer a two year contract and the benfit of that contract would be there for 10 years through the young player he would be incharge off.

I would not sign him that if we had to get rid of any of our young player. we have a good squad neclus now:
PAT, PRYCE, GOULDING, TOMMY, FEKA, O'CARROLL, PRESCOTT, HOCK, HANSEN, LOCKERS, BOTH TOMKINS, MCILORUM, ANISCOUGH, MATHERS, MOSSLOP, PHELPS, FLANAGAN, TUSEN AND FARRELL.

If we can keep the above who should all be able to play for the next 5 season.

I think in 5 season time Carmount, Roberts, Smith, Stu, Coley, Riddell and Bails will all have hung up there boots. We need the experance player in a time to bring through the new talent. If we can keep the necelus of players and slip in some experenced players and new youth then in five years we should be winning back to back titles again.

this is what saints and leeds have both done. Saints are at the end of the domination now but Leeds are hitting the peaks of theres. Leeds have old players like senior and peacock in there squad mixed in with the young players.

wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

pedro wrote:Barrett is a year younger than him i think
Lockyer will be 32 in around 7 weeks time - 33 if he sign for the 2010 season. I doubt trent is as old as lockyer - besides, what should that have to do with anything?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
thomo

Post by thomo »

what do we think he will want - £200K per season?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

thomo wrote:what do we think he will want - £200K per season?
Do you really think he would only be coming for the money :eusa16:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He is the highest paid player in the NRL. $600,000