lockyer

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ian b

lockyer

Post by ian b »

If Darren Lockyer wanted to come to super league next year would you want Wigan to sign him?.I realise what a fantastic player he is but i guess he would just be here for a big payday and i think he has had to many injuries.I wondered what other people thought. :doz:
GeoffN

Re: lockyer

Post by GeoffN »

ian b wrote:If Darren Lockyer wanted to come to super league next year would you want Wigan to sign him?.I realise what a fantastic player he is but i guess he would just be here for a big payday and i think he has had to many injuries.I wondered what other people thought. :doz:
No, for a variety of reasons.

He's too old, he would take up a quota spot just when we're looking to reduce imports, he would set Tomkins back again, and he would cost too much money.
thomo

Post by thomo »

If all he wants to do is play in england before he retires, if his focus and ambition is to experience super league and the british climate and the way of live - then give him £20K for a season and a little bit of expenses - or do we think the real reason he is wanting to come here is for the money - surely it can't possibly be the money?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

GeoffN wrote:
ian b wrote:If Darren Lockyer wanted to come to super league next year would you want Wigan to sign him?.I realise what a fantastic player he is but i guess he would just be here for a big payday and i think he has had to many injuries.I wondered what other people thought. :doz:

He's too old, he would take up a quota spot just when we're looking to reduce imports, he would set Tomkins back again, and he would cost too much money.
Agreed plus he is becoming injury prone
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

medlocke wrote:
GeoffN wrote:

Agreed plus he is becoming injury prone
I dont think he would set Tomkins back at all, he went from the best fullback in the world to become one of the best standoffs. Surely Tomkins could only benefit from a season of being his understudy afterall he has been coached by the best coach ever in Wayne Bennett so he would benefit the whole team if he came. He looked good in the World Cup and dont think he picked up any injuries.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I've moved this to the General forum, as Lockyer is not, as yet, a Wigan player. :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TOPsy06

Post by TOPsy06 »

am of the feeling that if lockyer came to wigan it would not be beneficial in the main to the team.can anyone really say that he ant trent barret are light years apart.i think not.he has just come back from an injury yes he is a fantastic player but we want players hungry + points to prove in our team.he is getting on giver me jonathon thurlestone any day .
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

He doesn't want to come to SL - he is just using that as an excuse to try and get more money/better terms out of Brisbane.

If Mo was still here; we would probably be "heavily linked" to signing him!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

What Wigan need is long term stability at 6, 7 and 9 something we have not had for a very long time.

Bear

Post by Bear »

I think hes looking for a nice pay check at the end of his carreer. Although he would do wonderes coaching the younger genaration and a great guy to have around. Hes getting on a bit now. For the sakes of 1 season i dont think its neccesary. It would be worth a try. But something inside tells me it would be a waste.
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!