Snowfall

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
highland convert

Snowfall

Post by highland convert »

Just put the bin out for tomorrow and found the sno is now up to 6 inches and still faling. How is everybody getting on? Jim
medlocke

Re: Snowfall

Post by medlocke »

Woke up to 1cm in Millom this morning, it had gone by 12:00, don't expect anymore, we rarely get snow here thanks to the mountains and fells blocking it (supposedly) :conf:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I can't believe that half the country, England that is, is at a standstill because of the snow!!!! What are they doing in London for chrissakes??? They knew the weather forecast!!! talk about never being prepared :angry:

I lived in Aberdeen and we used to get snow drifts up to ten feet, the council used to have snow ploughs and gritters working all the time clearing the roads etc and we never missed work, buses ran as normal as did the trains. God help us if we had this type of weather regularly like Sweden or Norway. The whole country would come to a standstill :o

Our work is all London based, and our offices down there were all closed due to staff not being able to get to work as there was no public transport or trains. :exc:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Agree with Josie... 2 inches here which is rare for Hull and the whole town was at a standstill. Thanks goodness we don't live anywhere colder...

Anyway so much for global warming. :)
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

We've just returned from some friends of ours in Sweden. Whilst we were there I was chatting to some of their Swedish friends and the conversation got on to weather. They were asking what sort of weather we had and I was telling them that it's not too bad, on a really bad winter we may get 6-8 inches of snow. They assumed that it would have no effect on our infrastructure, I told them that the country virtually grinds to a halt when it snows, even just a couple of inches. They thought I was joking and didn't believe me. One of them told me that they regularly get up to 1.5m of snow and it has virtually no effect on their infrastucture over there.

It really annoys me that everything stops just for a bit of snow. It's not as if the snow's a new thing, we've had plenty of time over the past few millenia to get used to it. All this rubbish about schools closing is laughable, it's just an excuse for the teachers to have a day off. What about all the other professionals in the country? We can't just stay at home because of a bit of snow. Emergency services can't have a day off. It really annoys me.
I think it took the biscuit before Christmas when Ince Rose Bridge school was closed because the forecast said there was a chance of snow, We didn't even have a single flake on that occasion. People should be held to account for closing schools willy nilly.

Rant over..................for now
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

luke_robinsons_angel

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

we didn't get much in lowton but i built a 1 foot tall snowman!
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sutty wrote:We've just returned from some friends of ours in Sweden. Whilst we were there I was chatting to some of their Swedish friends and the conversation got on to weather. They were asking what sort of weather we had and I was telling them that it's not too bad, on a really bad winter we may get 6-8 inches of snow. They assumed that it would have no effect on our infrastructure, I told them that the country virtually grinds to a halt when it snows, even just a couple of inches. They thought I was joking and didn't believe me. One of them told me that they regularly get up to 1.5m of snow and it has virtually no effect on their infrastucture over there.

It really annoys me that everything stops just for a bit of snow. It's not as if the snow's a new thing, we've had plenty of time over the past few millenia to get used to it. All this rubbish about schools closing is laughable, it's just an excuse for the teachers to have a day off. What about all the other professionals in the country? We can't just stay at home because of a bit of snow. Emergency services can't have a day off. It really annoys me.
I think it took the biscuit before Christmas when Ince Rose Bridge school was closed because the forecast said there was a chance of snow, We didn't even have a single flake on that occasion. People should be held to account for closing schools willy nilly.

Sutty your anti teaching stance is being monitored :wink:

As a teacher I have to agree re Rose Bridge

The other side of the argument, I worked in Burnley and the head would never close. So I had to go in. 50% + of students did not though and so the days teaching was wasted in many respects.

Teachers work incredibly hard dealing with increasingly unruly youngsters.

Just be warned Sutty I'll chin thee if thy disrespects teachers again :wink:
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

cpwigan wrote:
Sutty wrote:We've just returned from some friends of ours in Sweden. Whilst we were there I was chatting to some of their Swedish friends and the conversation got on to weather. They were asking what sort of weather we had and I was telling them that it's not too bad, on a really bad winter we may get 6-8 inches of snow. They assumed that it would have no effect on our infrastructure, I told them that the country virtually grinds to a halt when it snows, even just a couple of inches. They thought I was joking and didn't believe me. One of them told me that they regularly get up to 1.5m of snow and it has virtually no effect on their infrastucture over there.

The other side of the argument, I worked in Burnley and the head would never close. So I had to go in. 50% + of students did not though and so the days teaching was wasted in many respects.

Sorry CP ,maybe my assessment of peoples inability to deal with the elements was maybe a bit too bias towards the teaching fraternity, that wasn't my intention. :)

I agree that there are times when it is probably physically impossible for staff and pupils to reach their schools or office workers to reach their places of work, due to the snow. But, at the risk of sounding like an old fogey, when we were young, the winters always had a bit of snow and it was regularly a few inches deep. Surely common sense should prevail and as long as there are enough staff able to get in to their particular place of work, then disruption can be kept to a minimum. Do you honestly believe that there was absolutely no way that the thousands of schools that were affected by snow, had to close for a few days?
So much for our country's Churchillian attitude these days. The merest hint of snow and the public descends into panic and chaos. I don't know if it's because the media generally whips gullible people into a panic, with all their doom reporting or whether local authorities no longer have the funds to prepare for these conditions, but surely you would agree that a very large percentage of establishments close almost needlessly during adverse weather. My wife grew up in Glenridding in the lake district and they were often cut off from the other larger towns and had to rely on the farmer to bring essential produce into the village on his tractor. There were quite a few people on the BBC news website yesterday, saying that it's so bad because we don't often get such bad weather. I agree that we don't often get snow to that extent but snow's hardly a new occurrance, it's been around a lot longer than the transport system, surely by now some of the highways agencies that were caught out by this weather would have got suitable plant equipment to help deal with just a few inches of snow, even if they don't have to use it every year, it must be a good idea to have it in reserve. I can't believe how less than a foot of snow can bring one of the most modern capital cities in the World to its knees, it's laughable.

I hope you prefer my less anti-teacher post this time, hence eliminating the need for any chinning to occur. :wink: :lol:

ps. I'm probably only jealous because I love the snow but I still had to go into work and was unable to go outside and play in it. :D

doc

Post by doc »

Snow in London = national crisis; snow anywhere else, no matter how deep = minor story tagged on to the end of the news.

Bunch of soft, southern jessies trying to get an extra days free holiday.

Amazing how they couldn't get to work but could manage to go to the park with their kids!

Also, what a cock-up Boris made. Tube not running (why, it can't snow underground!) and buses unable to leave depot. Would never have happened under Ken!
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

cpwigan wrote:

do you not"slipper" them anymore nothing like a trainer across the cheeks to calm the unruly