Wakefield? A no win game?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Wakefield? A no win game?

Post by cpwigan »

Given Wakeys injuries we are expected to run up a big victory v them. Are we on a loser? If we beat them easily, people will say well you should have. If we only just beat them or God forbid lose to them (I cannot believe we will) then there will be an almighty backlash.

All Wakey have to do is put the effort in and people / the mediawill praise them and say how unlucky are Wakefield with injuries blah blag blah.
Kiwiseddon

Re: Wakefield? A no win game?

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it feels like all the Rugby League Press give us a hard time and I see your point about it being a no win game.......but ultimately it doesn't matter. 2 points is all that matters. Hopefully a decent performance too.
See you there. :lol:
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

What do you mean paranoid? A Wigan fan being paranoid? Surely not!

Look, there's no such thing as an easy game in the Super League, and no such thing as a banker for 2 points.

We all want a good game and my big hope for the season is that we play with greater consistency than we have during the last 2 seasons. You never knew whether it was Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde that would turn up. Let's hope we see more of the good doctor and enjoy the new season.
Can't wait!
Stevethegas
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Morph :) My glass is always half empty :wink:

I was just making the point re the media and reaction when we beat Wakey and I think we will quite easily. I really want to see us get off to a flier this year. I think one of the big weaknesses in 2007 and 2008 was that we had to play to win every game close to the play offs whereas Saints and Leeds had little pressure on themselves and could rest players,prepare for the play offs.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Morph wrote:No its a must win game, get us off to a good start. Makes no odds who we play or the team they put out, that's their look out. Are you starting off this season as you finished the last one CP? :)
Getting off to a flier would be awesome. Would be lovely to be the team to beat and top of the league after a few games. Always felt like we've been playing catch up at the start of the the last few seasons.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
tom g

Post by tom g »

That's just the nature of the game and the level of expectation amongst the Wigan supporters. But as someone has mentioned no 2 points are guaranteed in any matches this season and even without Danny Brough and Tevita Latu there is still some quality in that Wakefield team and they will play with a lot of passion and motivation given the sad death of Adam Watene. However sadly I feel this emotion will overide there season.

[/quote]
I agree. I think that they will be extremely fired up to play for Adam Watene on Sunday. Don't underestimate Wakefield!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Given Wakeys injuries we are expected to run up a big victory v them. Are we on a loser? If we beat them easily, people will say well you should have. If we only just beat them or God forbid lose to them (I cannot believe we will) then there will be an almighty backlash.

All Wakey have to do is put the effort in and people / the mediawill praise them and say how unlucky are Wakefield with injuries blah blag blah.
It's always the same against teams within juries particularly teams who are perceived to be lower down the pecking order. So I don't care what the media say about Wakefield if they play well.

I am more concerned about how we play and how we deal with them. One of my concerns last season was it seemed easy for any team that did the basics right to run us close or even win the game largely because we seemed clueless at times as to how to play as a team ourselves. I think Wakey will play a simple game and look for errors to try and win it for them. So from this game what I want to see is some indication that it is us who have the basics sorted and if we do then we should be able to win in a decent manner.

What we should not do is think we have to win by 50 points because they are depleted and try and score off every pass.

I don't expect miracles though and I think conditions will play a part and they can be a leveller.

Dave
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

2 points are most important!! Wakey will be very fired up for the game, but then again all teams playing in round one will want a good start to the season!!!

Matt
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am really hoping we get off to a flier in the first 10 games though. I think winning breeds confidence. I do think Amos Roberts will be a sensation, shame Karl Pryce is a long way from being ready to fire. If given the opportunity I think JTomkins, Prescott, O'Carrol, Goulding, McLlorum look like real first teamers.

My fears are what Dave O said.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I don't really care how many we win by, its just important to start the season with a string of good results and improving performances. I think its pretty negative to say this is a no win game - for me they'd have to lose before I though it was not a positive start to the year.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆