Watershed season for Thomas Leuluai

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Watershed season for Thomas Leuluai

Post by butt monkey »

This is the last season of Thomas's three year deal. During his time so far, it is fair to say that he has neither set the club alight, nor looked like the little general that will make Wigan "tick" for the next three years or so.

He reminds me greatly of another Kiwi International - Robbie Paul, great individual skills and moments of brilliance, however not the greatest of team players, which can be very detrimental to the side.

It would be fair to say that if his anonimity continues in most of Wigan's games this season, the club will look elsewhere (if no scrum half is coming thought that is). If his team success in the World Cup "rubs off" onto his overall game though, and he has returned as a more mature, adventurous player, Wigan should benefit.

However here is the crux, with the loss of the mercurial Barrett from the playmaking role, should he attempt to play a more pivitol role to the team or try and improve his own personal form more? Or will/should one follow the other?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
THE 18th Man

Re: Watershed season for Thomas Leuluai

Post by THE 18th Man »

Well winning the biggest international trophy in sport wont have hurt his confidence and i will just like to use Catalans as a example - Stacey Jones left and because of that the team learned to share responsibility and that improved them. im banking on that happening with Wigan
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

THE 18th Man wrote:Well winning the biggest international trophy in sport wont have hurt his confidence
But how would moving from scrum half to hooker in order to accomodate a more creative player, and the subsequent loss of his position as scrum half affect him, especially as Wigan will require him to play scrum half.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:
THE 18th Man wrote:Well winning the biggest international trophy in sport wont have hurt his confidence
But how would moving from scrum half to hooker in order to accomodate a more creative player, and the subsequent loss of his position as scrum half affect him, especially as Wigan will require him to play scrum half.
That is a good point as his success in the world cup was at 9 not 7. Still it can't be a bad thing to win a world cup.

I agree with you it is a crucial season for him. I think it is for other players as well as the coach. I think this season which is when other "Mo" contracts and Nobles come up for renewal it is indeed a watershed for the club never mind just TL.

Dave

THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

i didnt mean pyhsical reward i mean mental reward. winning a trophy of such honour will give him a huge boost in confidence and playing in a diffrent position, well can you name me any other player who Wigan could buy with £20,000 who can play as good as or better than Leuleui. With Super League experience at a young age
Bendy Hendy

Post by Bendy Hendy »

I think he has been the stand out player so far in the three pre season friendlies we have played. Since winning a world cup medal,to me, he seams to be oosing confidence. obviously it hasnt been against top five opposition, but this year he will be playing to get himself noticed. Then if Wigan dont offer him a new contract, he will get interest from other clubs. :o
THI CORNT RUN BOUT LEGS

GET AMUNGST UM
ajsefc

Post by ajsefc »

Completely agree with what Nobby's girl said but would also like to add he has improved game on game IMO, adding more consistency and also it's a great comfort that his best games have come when Barrett was out injured
'I have a good stand up wash in that sink once a week'
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nobby`s Girl wrote:I think we will see a different Tommy this season, mainly because his confidence will be on a high from winning the world cup and through this Tommy realises he isn’t just the little scrum half in the shadow of Barrett. Not being funny but last season Barratt was everyone’s star man, even the team looked up to him as the man to save them at times in need. Ok that’s his job and hes good at, im not knocking him but I think now our team has realised every one has to step up a gear and fend for each other.
Where on earth does the logic come from that we should be better without a world class 6 in the side?

Dave
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

butt monkey wrote:This is the last season of Thomas's three year deal. During his time so far, it is fair to say that he has neither set the club alight, nor looked like the little general that will make Wigan "tick" for the next three years or so.

He reminds me greatly of another Kiwi International - Robbie Paul, great individual skills and moments of brilliance, however not the greatest of team players, which can be very detrimental to the side.

It would be fair to say that if his anonimity continues in most of Wigan's games this season, the club will look elsewhere (if no scrum half is coming thought that is). If his team success in the World Cup "rubs off" onto his overall game though, and he has returned as a more mature, adventurous player, Wigan should benefit.

However here is the crux, with the loss of the mercurial Barrett from the playmaking role, should he attempt to play a more pivitol role to the team or try and improve his own personal form more? Or will/should one follow the other?
Nice to see you back BM :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Up early Josie can you not wait to get to the JJB ?