Wigan vs Wakey Reactions

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan vs Wakey Reactions

Post by DaveO »

I mentioned in the thread on Nobles 19 man squad before the game his selection would result in musical chairs every time Riddell was taken off and brought on. And that is exactly what happened.

How someone who has been in the game as long as Noble can think changing your half backs four times in a game is going to work is beyond me.

Mathers I wanted to succeed this year but he was awful today. There was one point in the first half where they kicked through down their left and the ball was about 10 or 15 meters from Mathers and it was time for him to sprint to the ball and secure it. He just let them have it!

The right side of the defence was woeful and the two trys they scored were easy. The second from a kick looked like they were practising on a training ground it was that easy.

If we had a different chairman I'd say Noble would be oods on to be the first coach for the chop this season based on that but I doubt IL will want to pay him off.

Now you might say that is an over reaction to one game but it isn't one game. This was just a continuation of the dross we got last season.

Other faults with Noble today.

Feka is not a starting prop.
He subbed by the clock.
We had Fielden and Feka off at the same time so we had Coley, O'Carroll and I even think Riddell was also off so that meant TL at hooker.

He seems clueless to me.

If you want any positives it was O@Carroll who showed Coley up big time. No doubt O'Carroll wil be dropped next week.

If Prescott is fit Coley needs to dropped along with Mathers.

Dave
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

todays performance was awful, to lose to a team who have predicted to finish near the bottom at home is bad but losing to a that team with half their team out is a disgrace. the attitude of our players was poor and wakefield were pumped up for the game. just like last season.

mathers was abysmal, he seemed to lack bottle and confidence is shot, the looks like a rabbit in a headlight when ever a opponent runs at him, or kicks the ball towards him, which is not good for a full back. also his postioning is poor. also the right side defensivily was shambolic in the forst few minutes. they just let them stroll through.

we need to improve a hell of a lot for next week as hull are a good team with players who can tear us apart on todays showing. however it is only the first game of the season and theres a long time to go, we and nobles team always seem to stuggle early on but the players need to pull there fingers out.

on a positive note i think that O' Carroll very well today both in attack and defense, also leuluai played well when he went to hooker and joel tomkins played well when he came on.
stacey c

Post by stacey c »

Dave O - Agree with most of the post, however, cant see Noble dropping O Carroll after giving him mom! Seriously? :conf:
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Oh Dear!!

I took 2 mates today who have never been the rugby, what a game to start with

Mathers was shocking in a way its a shame he didnt get sent off he could have got banned and we could have had Richards or Amos at fullback

Tompkins looked good today and seems to carry on where he left off, i still prefer him at loose for Lockers

we lacked direction made to many errors, Piggy looked unfit.

Our backs seemed to be running the ball up far too much
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
ian b

Post by ian b »

mathers really should be shown the door,he has no postional sense,cant tackle or catch and those are his good points!!.riddell and roberts shouldnt be judged just yet imo.i thought fielden and feka tried hard as did tomkins and hock,i just feel it was just one out football and a 40% completion rate is never going to help.i will get some stick for this,but i think fielden should be captain because we lack leadership.the performance was sh--t but even the great wigan teams i watched with edwards,hanley,bell etc...were nearly always crap at the start of the season![ive heard fans slating edwards in the past which was stupid}.iam pi--ed off like everyone else but i would be more worried if we played like that halfway through the season.
mackie1981

Post by mackie1981 »

we were awful today. I think there are some players who are just not good enough for our academy team let alone the first team. I think Bailey, Phelps and Mathers were the worst on show today. Why have we got Phelps and bailey taking up Quota spots we have better home grown players than these two. Can we get rid of these two now with out their money counting on the cap and get a decent prop in from down under?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Just got home. I will post my thoughts later when I have calmed down. Wakefield deserved to win. We ran about like headless chickens. Imagine a schoolboy team where a team stands and each tackle somebody catches the ball and has to run it on their own with no passing/no support and you have Wigan RLFC.

Mathers should have been sent off not sin binnd and banned for several games. He tried to karate kick an opponent running past him.

It was awful. I cannot post half of what I know but this once great club is in serious free fall. Things are happening that are amateurish and our great coach you would not believe how bad he truly is.
First rational post I have spotted on the thread. Not to say I disagree with anything which has been posted beforehand. I shall continue to read the rest!
Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

Utter dross. Mathers isn't worthy of my time to say what I think of him. Riddell was either wearing a shirt 2 sizes too small or he just looks fat in the biggest shirt they do. Judging by how he was huffing and puffing after 15 minutes, I know which it was.

When was the last time we looked match fit at the start of the season?

Wakey won because they have pace and looked fit to play a game of RL despite the majority of them being understudies.

A good job that 8 teams make the play offs. By the time Noble's got them fit and coached to play something other than crappy one-man rugby, we might just be able to qualify
for them.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Posted this on the other thread but it should be on here :blush:
I don't blame the players or at least not all .
How much harder can players like Hock, Fekka, Tomkins, Lockers, Lulu, O'carol run the ball? how much harder can they tackle? I think they tried today but it's the same old one out tactically naive rugby!! every time a player is going to drive the ball in you can spot it from the stand ,guess what? so can the defenders no matter how hard they run if three or four defenders are waiting the impact will result in the very very occasional bust, the more likely dominant tackle with a slow play the ball or worse a knock on or lost possession .
Now we here Nobby slate the players he should be looking closer to home and asking what he can do .
Mathers should be dropped I kept my mouth shut last year ''give the lad a chance'' NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!''
Fielden is a marked man and what an easy job it is you can spot him coming and line the defence up and ''bang'' the prop who should lead us is smacked , Fekka can drive it in and make impact but hitting a line ready for you soon gets him puffing . Hock ran the ball as hard today as any Wigan forward I have ever seen , we rely on him breaking a gang tackle or providing a miracle off load result he makes a mistake .
Now for one minute think of any of these players in a Saints team ,running at a broken line or a defence which does not know who will get the ball ,imagine Fekka running onto a set move(A set move!! remember those!!) with one defender in his way Rolling Eyes god I'm dreaming .
When the better teams run at a gang tackle they look for the ground not to win the collision they can then set quick and look to win a collision on a more even basis from a quick play the ball this is beyond us ,just a dummy runner a move from a scrum ........anything that would give me a glimmer of hope . It is not just the players if it was we have a good squad this year ,will Nobby drop his chums ? not a chance .
You may think this is a early moan but I sat through some bad performances last year, I hoped for the smallest glimpse of an improvement but today was worse than ever .
Nobby won with a brand of rugby that has lost it's shelf life ,we may win some good games we have the players, our brand of rugby is poor and I Just can not see how or why it will improve Embarassed
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
R Douglas

Post by R Douglas »

Having watched Wigan since I was 7 in 1979, and seeing us in the 2nd Division I'm pretty battle hardened. I've just made a 240 mile round trip from where I now live in Rugby to watch what I can only describe as the worst performance ever. There was no game plan, no leadership, no basic skills, no discipline, no control of the interchanges, no effecive kicking, there really wasn't anything!

Worst of all I was completely bored with the Team I love so much, and had to pay £40 plus half a tank of diesel for the privilege of watching them. It will be some time, and, I suspect afer Noble's left, when I find myself driving to the JJB again! I like the bloke but some of the justified comments on this site by the people who pay Nobby's wages, need posting on the wall of his office wall at Orrell, so he can start having a long hard look at them.

Never mind the Team's better than it was, on the evidence that you're only as good as your last game, there's not a word that can describe how poor this Team are.

As the announcer said "thanks for your loyal support" I felt like getting up and saying F$"K #FF! It's about time the Team said the "thank you" by performing on the sodding pitch!